VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 20 of 22
FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The 2nd link is a Yes it is a for SURE thing dose work the 1st link with VHD-Pluto I saw a few post saying it dose but I don't have one

Search PM
    The original PVR 2 Gaming Edition doesn't support 5.1.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will something like these work as well? I'm a little low on money, so trying to find cheapest one that will work for cable boxes with the hd pvr 2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Way-HDMI-Splitter-Hub-Switch-Port-w-Remote-for-HDTV-Wii-...-/290957567521
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3-HDMI-3-Port-1080P-Switcher-Selector-Splitter-Box-for-HDTV-...-/321402177633
    Last edited by kkiller23; 14th Sep 2014 at 04:49.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kkiller23 View Post
    Will something like these work as well? I'm a little low on money, so trying to find cheapest one that will work for cable boxes with the hd pvr 2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Way-HDMI-Splitter-Hub-Switch-Port-w-Remote-for-HDTV-Wii-...-/290957567521
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3-HDMI-3-Port-1080P-Switcher-Selector-Splitter-Box-for-HDTV-...-/321402177633
    Those are switches, not splitters. They allow three HDMI souces (for example a cable box, a game system, and a Blu-Ray player) to share the same HDMI connection on a TV. The switch just changes the connection to a different device internally without doing anything to the HDMI signal (other than amplifying it, in the case of the switch in first link), so it cannot remove HDCP.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Sep 2014 at 06:34.

5. I just ordered a ViewHD 1x2 HDMI Splitter which is also a HDCP stripper. I heard there are overheating issues and some units die as a result. Can anyone confirm this? Is the overheating really that bad?

6. No problems here, just gets little warm sometimes.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewHD-HDMI-Splitter-v1-3b-One-Input-to-Two-Output-1x2-in-mini...-/281177371728 This is the same one that works, correct?

I need to pay with Paypal, so need to find one on Ebay as that's where my funds are. So if i buy that it will strip/bypass HDCP?

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ViewHD-HDMI-Splitter-v1-3b-One-Input-to-Two-Output-1x2-in-mini...-/281177371728 This is the same one that works, correct?

I need to pay with Paypal, so need to find one on Ebay as that's where my funds are. So if i buy that it will strip/bypass HDCP?
    It looks identical to the one I bought from Amazon, including the model number. Mine has been working well for a few weeks feeding the HDMI output from my cable box to both a Hauppauge Colossus and a TV.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

It looks identical to the one I bought from Amazon, including the model number. Mine has been working well for a few weeks feeding the HDMI output from my cable box to both a Hauppauge Colossus and a TV.
    Before i buy the View HD one, do you know if anyone has tried these cheaper ones? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-HD-1x2-HDMI-Port-Splitter-Amplifier-Repeater-3D-1080p-HDM...-/261553185855

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before i buy the View HD one, do you know if anyone has tried these cheaper ones? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-HD-1x2-HDMI-Port-Splitter-Amplifier-Repeater-3D-1080p-HDM...-/261553185855
    Based on this post and the following one, it does not look promising.

11. My ViewHD 1x2 HDMI splitter arrived today and it works great!

12. Hi
    Im new here and im looking to buy the ViewHD 1x2 Mini 3d. Will it work well with a Blackmagic intensity Shuttle USB3.0? Has anyone tried this out?
    Thanks

13. I have the ViewHD VHD-1X2MN3D. Just purchased through Amazon using the link found in a previous post on this thread. Input into the ViewHD is a Sony Blu Ray BDP-S6200. Output 1 on the ViewHD goes to a Black Magic Production Studio 4K HDMI input 2. Output 2 of the ViewHD goes to a NEC flatscreen tv HDMI input 1. I get the image on the NEC TV but nothing into the Production Studio 4K.

Hielix, I'd like to know if this works with your Intensity.

I'll test again but it looks like this device is not working with a Production Studio 4K.

14. Member
    Search PM
    I have a splitter and use a Blackmagic Intensity Pro. I don't know about your 'card' but mine has to match the output of the source to the capture input. For me that means that most of the DirecTV HD channels are 1080i 59.94, a few are 720p 59.94...

Using this splitter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089DVCT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

15. Originally Posted by mightyeskimo View Post
    I have the ViewHD VHD-1X2MN3D. Just purchased through Amazon using the link found in a previous post on this thread. Input into the ViewHD is a Sony Blu Ray BDP-S6200. Output 1 on the ViewHD goes to a Black Magic Production Studio 4K HDMI input 2. Output 2 of the ViewHD goes to a NEC flatscreen tv HDMI input 1. I get the image on the NEC TV but nothing into the Production Studio 4K.

Hielix, I'd like to know if this works with your Intensity.

I'll test again but it looks like this device is not working with a Production Studio 4K.
    Edit: I just had the wrong resolution set on the switcher. Such a noob mistake. LOL. I can vouch that the ViewHD VHD-1X2MN3D works like a charm!

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! Any Brits about that can point me towards the stripper they are using? Grabbed one from Amazon but it doesn't actually work (And having found this thread, it confirms it is one that doesn't work). Seen lots of US links recently, but translating them to the equivalent products on .co.uk doesn't have much luck most of the time. Cheers!

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so happy to find this thread as a solution to get HD from the cablebox. Been using the Hauppague 1212 PVR which uses component output and encodes in H264 but I'm not satisfied with the final product which is noticably blurry when compared to the pristine MPEG2 of the original DVR recording. Even at the full blast 13.5 Mbs/Constant bit rate, it's still about 85-90% of the true HD quality and the colors are faded.

With this ViewHD splitter I'd like to somehow have the superclear MPEG2 lossless and uncompressed capture to my laptop.

Does an external MPEG2 capture passthrough exist which feeds the laptop via USB? The Gaming version of Hauppauge does USB passthru but is h264.

I have a few questions (i'm an experienced novice)

- it the Hauppauge 1212 quality less than perfect because it's component or because it's H264 compressed?
    - will the new Hauppauge Gaming edition, still in H264, produce a better picture since it's over HDMI?

What is the bitrate for uncompressed MPEG2 from the DVR? Is an hour show really going to be 100Gb to 400GB? I want to burn a 2 or 3 hour show to a 22.9gb bd-r eventually but want to compress in MPEG2 for clarity and color richness.

thanks for any advice

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by iviv View Post
    Hi! Any Brits about that can point me towards the stripper they are using? Grabbed one from Amazon but it doesn't actually work (And having found this thread, it confirms it is one that doesn't work). Seen lots of US links recently, but translating them to the equivalent products on .co.uk doesn't have much luck most of the time. Cheers!
    Just a heads up for any brits reading this thread. Bought this from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320725758251?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Since it matched the picture for what someone posted was working from the US (saying HDMI 3D splitter 1x4) and had the same port/button layout, and it works perfectly.

19. Originally Posted by texas1 View Post
    Even at the full blast 13.5 Mbs/Constant bit rate, it's still about 85-90% of the true HD quality and the colors are faded.
    I can switch inputs from HDMI to pass-through component (HD-PVR), same content, and it's easy to tell the difference. (I have an HDCP stripper and HDMI -> component converter in the chain).

HDMI will beat component for visual quality every single time. I suspect that's what you're seeing.

Which isn't to say HD component can't look good. Personally, when I capture with my original Hauppauge HD-PVR (component input only), it's the content that's the thing, and the quality of cable video is not the best anyway due to overcompression; or perhaps the content is just upscaled DVD anyway. If I want best visual quality, I buy the Blu-Ray, if available.

So yeah, you need a capture device that will accept HDMI input.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by texas1 View Post
    so happy to find this thread as a solution to get HD from the cablebox. Been using the Hauppague 1212 PVR which uses component output and encodes in H264 but I'm not satisfied with the final product which is noticably blurry when compared to the pristine MPEG2 of the original DVR recording. Even at the full blast 13.5 Mbs/Constant bit rate, it's still about 85-90% of the true HD quality and the colors are faded.

With this ViewHD splitter I'd like to somehow have the superclear MPEG2 lossless and uncompressed capture to my laptop.

Does an external MPEG2 capture passthrough exist which feeds the laptop via USB? The Gaming version of Hauppauge does USB passthru but is h264.

- it the Hauppauge 1212 quality less than perfect because it's component or because it's H264 compressed?
    - will the new Hauppauge Gaming edition, still in H264, produce a better picture since it's over HDMI?

What is the bitrate for uncompressed MPEG2 from the DVR? Is an hour show really going to be 100Gb to 400GB? I want to burn a 2 or 3 hour show to a 22.9gb bd-r eventually but want to compress in MPEG2 for clarity and color richness.

thanks for any advice
    Your idea won't work. Capturing uncompressed HD video with an ordinary laptop isn't possible. There are no USB 2.0 devices that allow it. USB 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth. You would need USB 3.0. Even then, the files are beyond enormous and you would need a RAID array or very large SSD to keep up with the data transfer. (For 720p cable TV: 8 bit @ 1280 x 720 @ 59.94fps = 105 MB per/sec =370 GB per/hr.) The CPU on the average laptop is too puny to produce good MPEG-2 encodes in real time. You would have to capture using lossless compression. Losslessly compressed HD files are large too. As I recall 120 GB per hour.

You can use a splitter that removes HDCP with the the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 to capture from HDMI, but the captures will always be H.264. I find using HDMI as the source produces a better picture than component, but you may or may not find them good enough. There are no HD capture devices that can give you MPEG-2 from a USB 2.0 connection.

If you want to capture the original pristine MPEG-2 get a CableCARD tuner and use that to record instead of a DVR.

If you want more information than I have given you, please start your own thread on the subject
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Dec 2014 at 14:57. Reason: clarification

21. Member
    Search Comp PM

thanks for any advice
    Your idea won't work. Capturing uncompressed HD video with an ordinary laptop isn't possible. There are no USB 2.0 devices that allow it. USB 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth. You would need USB 3.0. Even then, the files are beyond enormous and you would need a RAID array or very large SSD to keep up with the data transfer. (For 720p cable TV: 8 bit @ 1280 x 720 @ 59.94fps = 105 MB per/sec =370 GB per/hr.)

You can use a splitter that removes HDCP with the the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 to capture from HDMI, but the captures will always be H.264. I find using HDMI as the source produces a better picture than component, but you may or may not find them good enough. There are no capture devices that can give you MPEG-2 from a USB 2.0 connection.

If you want to capture the original pristine MPEG-2 get a CableCARD tuner and use that to record instead of a DVR.

If you want more information than I have given you, please start your own thread on the subject
    thanks, I thought so as googling didn't show any external device product that captures MPEG2 to laptop.

I'm guessing a Cablecard would still be HDCP, so how to get past that? Also, wouldn't the recording size on the PC w/cablecard still be huge 100-400GB?

What about this 1 HDMI input port PCI Express capture card? This seems to encode in MPEG2. Anyone try this sort of thing?
    http://www.amazon.com/CISNO-1080P-Express-Capture-Recording/dp/B00M7T5SYU/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

22. I'm not from US but as I understand (it was explained here many times) cablecard allows you to record original mpeg 2 stream but only if it has 'copy freely' flag. Some channels also have copy once flag and for some premium content they don't allow copying at all.

With the capture card you mentioned there is this thing in product description "Note: not support 1080P 50/60hz video signal, only accept 1080p 24hz" which is not what you want since tv is 60hz. Also I never heard of this card so far and even if it could capture 50/60 hz it probably uses software to encode to Mpeg-2 video. You would need to capture into lossless codec and than re-encode it to h264 using your pc.

23. Member
    Search Comp PM

thanks for any advice
    Your idea won't work. Capturing uncompressed HD video with an ordinary laptop isn't possible. There are no USB 2.0 devices that allow it. USB 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth. You would need USB 3.0. Even then, the files are beyond enormous and you would need a RAID array or very large SSD to keep up with the data transfer. (For 720p cable TV: 8 bit @ 1280 x 720 @ 59.94fps = 105 MB per/sec =370 GB per/hr.)

You can use a splitter that removes HDCP with the the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 to capture from HDMI, but the captures will always be H.264. I find using HDMI as the source produces a better picture than component, but you may or may not find them good enough. There are no capture devices that can give you MPEG-2 from a USB 2.0 connection.

thanks, I thought so as googling didn't show any external device product that captures MPEG2 to laptop.

I'm guessing a Cablecard would still be HDCP, so how to get past that? Also, wouldn't the recording size on the PC w/cablecard still be huge 100-400GB?

What about this 1 HDMI input port PCI Express capture card? This seems to encode in MPEG2. Anyone try this sort of thing?
    http://www.amazon.com/CISNO-1080P-Express-Capture-Recording/dp/B00M7T5SYU/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
    I already asked you to start your own thread on this subject. If you want an answer from me do that. In addition,by continuing to post CableCARD questions here you are also taking an already long and confusing thread off topic, making it harder for people want information on HDCP strippers to find it,
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Dec 2014 at 12:57.

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK I'm jumping in way behind in this thread but I've made a discovery that may be of help to some. I read on this forum that an HDMI splitter actually removed HDCP. I had just ordered a different splitter right before that to split my DVR signal to my TV and my Hauppague Colossus, which is a few years old now. I don't remember the exact model but it doesn't matter. The splitter arrived today and lo and behold it DOES remove HDCP even though it wasn't the same one I saw mentioned in an old thread here. What I bought was a EnjoyGadgets EGHSP1X2 HDMI Splitter Amplifier. Whether this will last and whether the splitter will last is anyone's guess (it produces a LOT of heat for such a small gadget so that doesn't really bode well for the future) but for right now I can record anything I want from my DVR. I didn't buy it for that purpose but it does it anyway. I really needed a splitter because my niece is a model and appears on tv from time to time and I wanted to be sure I could make recordings of her for her parents. Plus my daughter is on tv once in a while too. And my brother had his moment in the sun not too long ago and the recording of him has been on my DVR awaiting the day the hard drive failed and it was gone forever. I beat it to the punch though. Yes I could do the cable swap thing but it isn't so easy climbing around behind my system.

I didn't post this info on Amazon's comment page because I've gotten a lot of help on this site over the years and maybe now I can give a little bit of payback. Happy recording!
    Last edited by King Ghidora; 15th Dec 2014 at 16:37.

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now that I look around it's obvious that many splitters remove HDCP. Like I said, I got into the thread late.

26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello all.. thanks for this thread, really appreciate it as I'm a novice hobbyist. I have some bad news from my perspective though.

Was excited to purchase ViewHD, the HD splitter which is supposed to removed HDCP. I had an old Hauppauge 1212 PVR using component wiring so I wanted to upgrade and bought the HD PVR2 Gaming Edition Plus (actually ordered the 1512 model but they sent the 1504 by mistake - ok, essentially the same).

I have Time Warner Cable here in Dallas. TWC is notorious for Copy Once protection.

As soon as I hooked up the ViewHD, split with 2 HDMI cables (one to the TV, one to the HD PVR2 1504 model) - then I loaded the Hauppauge Capture software to the laptop (i5) -- The capture screen shows blank! As if the HDCP was *not* defeated! So I was very disappointed.

My Motorola DVR allows resolution to be changed to 720x480 and then the Hauppauge Capture received the signal. But not for true HD in 1280 x 720. I wonder if the Copy Once feature is blocking this, any ideas?

I feel like returning the HD PVR2 GEPlus, thankfully a full refund less shipping, and revert to my old component ways.

*I'm not sure if View HD really strips HDCP solely from my experience ... however I'm sure it does for other people. I'm sure my problem is TWC.

Anyone have expericene with Time Warner (TWC) DVRs?? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

27. Member
    Search PM
    I don't use your hardware. But be certain that all variables on the Hauppauge are set correctly per the output signal: frame rate, interlaced or progressive and resolution.

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks Markfx--- your post inspired me to dig thru a TWC help forum regardign settings. From there I learned that with the DVR box *off*, hit the Menu and a black and grey menu shows up from which I was able to manipulate the resolution to 720p which was set at 480i somehow. Then turned my DVR box ON and the Hauppauge Capture immediately began receiving signals in 1280 x 720 60fps. Wow, even a novice can figure it out. So, seems the ViewHD does in fact work to defeat HDCP. I'll experiment and see if I can defeat the Copy Once feature of Time Warner Cable

29. Originally Posted by texas1 View Post
    hello all.. thanks for this thread, really appreciate it as I'm a novice hobbyist. I have some bad news from my perspective though.

Was excited to purchase ViewHD, the HD splitter which is supposed to removed HDCP. I had an old Hauppauge 1212 PVR using component wiring so I wanted to upgrade and bought the HD PVR2 Gaming Edition Plus (actually ordered the 1512 model but they sent the 1504 by mistake - ok, essentially the same).

I have Time Warner Cable here in Dallas. TWC is notorious for Copy Once protection.

As soon as I hooked up the ViewHD, split with 2 HDMI cables (one to the TV, one to the HD PVR2 1504 model) - then I loaded the Hauppauge Capture software to the laptop (i5) -- The capture screen shows blank! As if the HDCP was *not* defeated! So I was very disappointed.

My Motorola DVR allows resolution to be changed to 720x480 and then the Hauppauge Capture received the signal. But not for true HD in 1280 x 720. I wonder if the Copy Once feature is blocking this, any ideas?

I feel like returning the HD PVR2 GEPlus, thankfully a full refund less shipping, and revert to my old component ways.

*I'm not sure if View HD really strips HDCP solely from my experience ... however I'm sure it does for other people. I'm sure my problem is TWC.

Anyone have expericene with Time Warner (TWC) DVRs?? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    I don't have any of your equipment, but from my experience some of the splitters at least need to be powered up in particular sequence with your source and TV before they will output unencrypted content. To get mine to work initially I have to physically pull the power cord from my TV. After that, all is OK and I can turn everything on and off and it continues to work. But for the initial setup, my TV needs to be off. Standby doesn't do it.

30. Member
    Search PM
    Brand new here, I have just received and tried a ViewHD VHD-pro4x2i splitter connected to a H. Colossus and a Uverse DVR. I get no picture through the Colossus and get a great picture when connected from splitter to HDCP complaint plasma.
    The boards are filled with info that this splitter will strip HDCP, does it? I also note that there are posts that splitters that once stripped the HDCP don't do so in the newer models! I noted that some here are using the Colossus with strippers, which strippers are compatible?
    Thanks for your reply's and help!
    If this has been covered before please forgive!