VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 19 of 22
FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I think I read here or somewhere, that it's best when the splitter is powered on first and hdmi devices after the splitter, just because of hdmi handshake issues. Is that correct jagabo? I once had this problem between my TV and set top box when one of the two was not powered on first or something. Than I learned of these handshake problems and that it's pretty common for hdmi equipment.

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just did a check on Ebay and the older units that strip the HDCP seem to be missing. I notice only the newer units with the Blue writing on them which I have read on other sites do not strip the HDCP are available. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I think Amazon sellers still have them though.

Search PM
    Name:  hdmi_law.png
Views: 9477
Size:  13.8 KB "Splitter bypassing to record HD content or the likes is prohibited by law."

Just noticed this neat little graphic was added to all of AVerMedia's HDMI capture device pages at some point. Call me cynical, but perhaps the intent is more to advertise "here's what you shouldn't do to capture HDCP, wink wink".

4. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    [Attachment 26508 - Click to enlarge]
    "Splitter bypassing to record HD content or the likes is prohibited by law."

Just noticed this neat little graphic was added to all of AVerMedia's HDMI capture device pages at some point. Call me cynical, but perhaps the intent is more to advertise "here's what you shouldn't do to capture HDCP, wink wink".
    Awesome! I'ma print out that sticker and stick it on all my hdmi splitters and black magic cards. Might have to buy a few Avermedia cards just to show my support

Wow, the ExtremeCap U3 looks sweet. Wonder if my USB 3.0 port can handle 1080p60?? Says it can take 1080i60 input, but can't record 1080i, so I assume it must have a hardware deinterlacer chip to record it at 1080p30? Hmmmm. Come with directshow drivers too, might be nice streaming solution...

-Jamie M.
    Last edited by toysareforboys; 20th Jul 2014 at 17:09.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    Wow, the ExtremeCap U3 looks sweet. Wonder if my USB 3.0 port can handle 1080p60?? Says it can take 1080i60 input, but can't record 1080i, so I assume it must have a hardware deinterlacer chip to record it at 1080p30? Hmmmm. Come with directshow drivers too, might be nice streaming solution...

-Jamie M.
    Beware it RAW AVI

The spec under Capture:
    640 x 480 (60p) / 720 x 480 (60p/30p) / 720 x 576 (50p/25p) / 800 x 600 (60p)
    1024 x 768 (60p/30p) / 1280 x 720p (60p/50p/30p/25p)
    1280 x 768 (60p/30p) / 1280 x 800 (60p/30p) / 1280 x 1024 (60p/30p)
    1360 x 768 (60p/30p) / 1440 x 900 (60p/30p) / 1680 x 1050 (60p/30p)
    1920 x 1080 (60p/50p/30p/25p/24p)

6. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Beware it RAW AVI
    Yikes, that'd chew some serious CPU to deinterlace 1080i60 into 1080p30

-Jamie M.

7. Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post
    Just did a check on Ebay and the older units that strip the HDCP seem to be missing. I notice only the newer units with the Blue writing on them which I have read on other sites do not strip the HDCP are available. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I think Amazon sellers still have them though.
    Both eBay and Amazon still have the ViewHD model I recommended earlier. But I do think it's a good idea to buy a couple or few of these in case they do ever get discontinued. They're so cheap that there's no reason not to.

Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Call me cynical, but perhaps the intent is more to advertise "here's what you shouldn't do to capture HDCP, wink wink".
    Agree. AVerMedia must know their component workaround sucks - the only good reviews their devices have received are with the HDCP stripped. Otherwise the PQ is just flat out bad. The performance and encoding is good though, so they're a great choice for capture as long as straight HDMI is used. Still happy with my LGP over here.

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Beware it RAW AVI
    Yikes, that'd chew some serious CPU to deinterlace 1080i60 into 1080p30

-Jamie M.
    Deinterlacing is done by the ExtremeCap U3, not the CPU. The CPU is responsible for encoding the uncompressed output from the card afterwards.

9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Deinterlacing is done by the ExtremeCap U3, not the CPU. The CPU is responsible for encoding the uncompressed output from the card afterwards.
    Do you know if it does a true deinterlace and spits out 1080p60 or if it just drops one field to spit out 1080p30?

-Jamie M.

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Do you know if it does a true deinterlace and spits out 1080p60 or if it just drops one field to spit out 1080p30?

-Jamie M.
    Sorry, I don't know if 1080i60 input results in 1080p30 output or 1080p60 output. However it was clear that the ExtremeCap U3 itself is doing the de-interlacing, because otherwise the specs would list some interlaced capture resolutions.

I did look for an answer to your question but the specs and user reviews didn't provide one. The specs for the ExtremeCap U3 list 1080i50, and 1080i60 as valid input resolutions, but did not say which of the 1080p capture resolutions result from these input resolutions. Users seem more interested in its ability to capture 1080p60 as 1080p60 than its ability to capture 1080i60 and deinterlace it.

I discovered that the ExtremeCap U3 isn't presently as good at 1080p capture as hoped for. https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/avermedia-extremecap-u3-not-quite-60fps.15222/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Jul 2014 at 10:23. Reason: removed repeated word, clarity

11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's been reported previously that the ExtremeCap U3 captures 1080p59.94 at 60.00 fps by duplicating frames, but the issue in that video appears to be drops (dupes replacing lost frames) rather than insertions.

12. All I want to be able to do is save for my even older age, rugby matches I have 'legally' recorded on my fully paid up subscription in the HD quality the deserve. I have a 1 to2 HDMI splitter and my Blackmagic intensity pro PCIe card resolutely refuses to capture the signal. Surely there must be a way round this! Does anyone have any ideas?

13. Originally Posted by zinctrumpet View Post
    All I want to be able to do is save for my even older age, rugby matches I have 'legally' recorded on my fully paid up subscription in the HD quality the deserve. I have a 1 to2 HDMI splitter and my Blackmagic intensity pro PCIe card resolutely refuses to capture the signal. Surely there must be a way round this! Does anyone have any ideas?
    Have you tried AmarecTV? Try that, make sure the settings match your source (resolution and frame rate) and make sure to set the same settings both in the "Black Magic Design Control Panel" as well as in the Media Express capture program

If you still have trouble I would pick up an Avermedia Game Capture HD. It auto detects all the settings every time and just works, unlike the black magic

-Jamie M.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zinctrumpet View Post
    All I want to be able to do is save for my even older age, rugby matches I have 'legally' recorded on my fully paid up subscription in the HD quality the deserve. I have a 1 to2 HDMI splitter and my Blackmagic intensity pro PCIe card resolutely refuses to capture the signal. Surely there must be a way round this! Does anyone have any ideas?
    Not all HDMI spliters remove HDCP. Did you buy one of the HDMI splitters recommended in this thread that has been verified to work? If not, that is one thing you could try.

15. Hi thanks for the replies, as far as I can tell none of the solutions quite fit what I am looking for. I can do all I need in analogue via scart I am trying to capture HDTV which apparently is not allowed.

16. Originally Posted by zinctrumpet View Post
    Hi thanks for the replies, as far as I can tell none of the solutions quite fit what I am looking for. I can do all I need in analogue via scart I am trying to capture HDTV which apparently is not allowed.
    Get one of the Monoprice DVI to HDMI converters HDC-DAH from Amazon and you will not have any problems (as long as you have optical out on the input device). It out puts the audio through the HDMI but the input is optical.

Click on the Amazon link below the youtube video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DNFdFnhjsY

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi thanks for the replies, as far as I can tell none of the solutions quite fit what I am looking for. I can do all I need in analogue via scart I am trying to capture HDTV which apparently is not allowed.
    This thread is about HDCP strippers, devices that allow recording HDCP protected HDMI output from various sources. Since an HDMI splitter that removes HDCP as a side effect is not what you need, maybe you could tell us exactly what you are looking for so you could get some help finding it.

18. Originally Posted by zinctrumpet View Post
    All I want to be able to do is save for my even older age, rugby matches I have 'legally' recorded on my fully paid up subscription in the HD quality the deserve.
    You won't be capturing anything in HD via SCART.

19. I'm trying to copy some 20-year-old VHS tapes (sentimental value . . .) to my HD, and I want best possible quality. I've got a combination VHS/DVD player with HDMI output, so I bought a capture card (Startech) with HDMI input, but its software (StreamCatcher) blocks any capture from manufactured VHS tapes. I also can't do it with Nero Vision, Ulead, or Adobe Premier.
    Is there any software that will allow that kind of capture, straight-up, the same way I can do if I use a SuperVHS connector instead of HDMI?
    And, if not, what is the cheapest/simplest box I can get, with HDMI input and HDMI output ports, which will let me do that?

20. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Oh, come now. You were pointed to this thread so that you could read it, not to post the same question as your other thread. As punishment, I shall skip answering your first question. (Not that I had a very enlightening answer.)

It appears the cheapest & simplest box is no longer being sold. The advantage of that one is that a power supply isn't required, if your HDMI devices supply sufficient power themselves. I never bought one, myself. There is an updated version being sold for $15 with a choice of colored shells, but I haven't seen any reports about whether it strips HDCP. [EDIT: Assuming it's the same as the LKV312N, it seems iffy.]

[EDIT 2: There's also the "MINI HDMI2HDMI+AUDIO" device aka HDV-M612 which isn't a splitter, at $19. Since it actually claims to remove HDCP, if it doesn't work properly for that purpose I suppose there is a legitimate claim you can make.]

This is what I have.
    Last edited by Brad; 7th Aug 2014 at 01:45.

21. Originally Posted by engineerer View Post
    I'm trying to copy some 20-year-old VHS tapes (sentimental value . . .) to my HD, and I want best possible quality. I've got a combination VHS/DVD player with HDMI output, so I bought a capture card (Startech) with HDMI input, but its software (StreamCatcher) blocks any capture from manufactured VHS tapes. I also can't do it with Nero Vision, Ulead, or Adobe Premier.
    Is there any software that will allow that kind of capture, straight-up, the same way I can do if I use a SuperVHS connector instead of HDMI?
    And, if not, what is the cheapest/simplest box I can get, with HDMI input and HDMI output ports, which will let me do that?
    It might be a stupid question, but are you sure you VHS/DVD player outputs VHS content over HDMI? I had a combo player like that and the DVD output was through HDMI, but VHS went through SCART and other analogue outputs. It may be that your Startech card isn't receiving anything!

If that is the case, there's a myriad of cheap analogue capture devices, but I am not sure whether they will work if your analogue output is Macrovision copy protected, which from the sound of it, it will be.

22. vaporeon800 - many thanks, indeed, for that info. I'm getting the amazon version, rather than the alibaba, and I'll post here, to say how it worked.
    Chippy-boy - good Q, but everything from that VHS/DVD goes out thru an HDMI cable. No other way out. It works with the TV, and the video signal from the VHS shows up fine in the "StreamCatcher" app window on my computer, up until the moment I try to start recording.

23. Member
    Search PM
    A little help...

I want to purchase this... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ7KICQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I intend for it to be used with my PS3 so I could record. Now I know HDMI will not allow me to record tv content and I need a converter. I do not know which one of these two to go with. One is simple and cheap and the other looks much more advanced and a bit more money. I'm willing to go for the higher priced one if that's really what I need. I'll post the two links and hopefully someone knows which one I need.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TH7T2U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-105369-Digital-Optical-Converter/dp/B0038XNTWW/ref=sr_...i+to+dvi+s%2Fd

TIA for any replies.
    Last edited by distinctive2004; 14th Aug 2014 at 00:44.

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Asking how to record subscription-based streaming services is against the forum rules...

25. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Asking how to record subscription-based streaming services is against the forum rules...
    Okay, I'll edit.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by distinctive2004 View Post
    A little help...

I want to purchase this... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ7KICQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I intend for it to be used with my PS3 so I could record. Now I know HDMI will not allow me to record tv content and I need a converter. I do not know which one of these two to go with. One is simple and cheap and the other looks much more advanced and a bit more money. I'm willing to go for the higher priced one if that's really what I need. I'll post the two links and hopefully someone knows which one I need.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TH7T2U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-105369-Digital-Optical-Converter/dp/B0038XNTWW/ref=sr_...i+to+dvi+s%2Fd

TIA for any replies.
    That will works just fine with Hauppauge Colossus, HD-PVR 2 and HD-PVR Rocket as well but most of us just buy this ViewHD 2 Port 1x2 Powered HDMI Mini Splitter for 1080P & 3D from amazon which can all so be found on ebay

27. I have the unit pictured here .
    The internal chips are Silicon Image (SiI9187) and Pericom P13HDMI412AD, plus one more that is completely unmarked.

How can I test it to see if it is compatible with an HD-PVR2 before I make the purchase of of the HD-PVR2? Is there any other way to identify if this is working as required?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by timg11 View Post
    I have the unit pictured here
    The internal chips are Silicon Image (SiI9187) and Pericom P13HDMI412AD, plus one more that is completely unmarked.

How can I test it to see if it is compatible with an HD-PVR2 before I make the purchase of of the HD-PVR2? Is there any other way to identify if this is working as required?
    What about it, It just same as on mine ViewHD very same set chip the completely unmarked chip is the firmware or HS07 I think which works just fine on my HD-PVR Rocket

Update just finish testing HD-PVR 2 and works and so dose the Colossus
    Last edited by SHS; 16th Aug 2014 at 18:24.

29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by timg11 View Post
    I guess if you have an old non-HDCP compliant DVI monitor you could try using the ViewHD between it and an HDCP-protected source like a PS3 or Blu-Ray player to see what happens. You would need a DVI to HDMI cable to connect a DVI monitor to the ViewHD.

A ViewHD splitter should still work. I have only had one for about two weeks and it seems to be performing as desired with a Hauppage Colossus for recording from my cable box's HDMI connection while watching the same channel on my TV via the other leg of the split.

30. Hi All

Is this newer version of the ViewHD also stripping HDCP?

http://www.amazon.de/ViewHD-Ultra-HDMI-Splitter-VHD-Pluto-UltraHD-4K-1x2/dp/B00J4D3RTU...er+|+VHD-Pluto

Or is it only this one that stripps it?

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&url=s...80P%20und%203D

I know it is the german amazon side, but the Supplyer is still U9LTD.

And for the HP PVR2: Shall I take the PVR2 or PVR2 Gaming Edition or PVR Gaming Edition Plus? I will be mainly use it in this setup:

cable TV-Box --> Splitter --> 1. HDMI out to TV / 2. HDMI out to HP PVRxyz --> PC.
    I do not own a PS3/4 or xbox as console.

Many thanks for you're help
    Last edited by Randaranda; 4th Sep 2014 at 04:42.