VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 22
FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Mine arrived yesterday. I haven't gotten it setup and tested yet. I used the link jagabo provided and purchased from the same company "Great Elect". Seeker47 is correct that there is no markings on the device stating "CVID" or "BG-550" but mine showed up in a full retail box. The box has Cvid-BG-550 barcode 639767937832 printed on it.

When I get it setup I'll let the list know if HDCP is stripped or not.

P.S. How are people's tests with these two devices going?

Intensity Shuttle for USB 3.0
    Skydigital CaptureU3.0 HDMI 1080p External Video Capture Card

2. Originally Posted by danblake View Post

I don't know about those devices but the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and Elgato Game Capture HD both work.

drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    danblake is correct: I totally missed that barcode sticker on the box.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by danblake View Post

I don't know about those devices but the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and Elgato Game Capture HD both work.
    Were you referring to this one ?

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Edition-Definition-Capture-Passthrough/dp/B008ZT8QKO/r...dp_ob_title_ce

(Hauppauge has a number of products, and I'm trying to keep them straight.)

And here may be another one:
    http://www.ads-links.com/index.php/how-to-download-videos-from-an-hd-dvr-pvr.html

This does seem to have the advantage of not also requiring an HTPC. Whether it is suitable for recording HD program material (as the writer of the piece linked above suggests), and not just for saving gameplay, is something on which I would like to read more testimony from capable sources.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.

4. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and Elgato Game Capture HD both work.
    Were you referring to this one ?

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Edition-Definition-Capture-Passthrough/dp/B008ZT8QKO/r...dp_ob_title_ce
    Yes.

Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    And here may be another one:
    http://www.ads-links.com/index.php/how-to-download-videos-from-an-hd-dvr-pvr.html

This does seem to have the advantage of not also requiring an HTPC. Whether it is suitable for recording HD program material (as the writer of the piece linked above suggests), and not just for saving gameplay, is something on which I would like to read more testimony from capable sources.
    To an HDMI capture device it doesn't matter whether it's gameplay or a movie. It's just a bunch of frames. That said...

One problem with these boxes is that 1080p60 is decimated to 1080p30 when captured. Since movies are usually shot on film at 24 fps that leaves you with a duplicate frame every 1/6 of a second. You can see that as 6 little jerks every second in the recorded video. The devices can downscale while capturing but they do so after decimation. So you still end up with 30 fps video. The only way around this is to set the player to output 1080i30 or 720p60. Then you get "only" the usual 3:2 field/frame repeat judder.

The Elgato Game Capture HD has the ability to record 1080p30 at 30 Mb/s which gives noticeably cleaner results than the the other devices recording at only 15 Mb/s.

5. Best I can tell bout that avermedia seeker linked is that input is component.

Then there is this one made by avermedia also:
    http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Portable-Capture-Xbox360-60Mbps/dp/B00B2IZ3B0/ref=cm_c...pr_product_top

I have no idea which one of all these capture devices would be the better buy.

Search Comp PM
    on the hvr pvr, model 1212 packaging, it says, resolutions up to 1080i. so i take that to mean it is 30i (54.94) fps. if that wasn't enough, the packging also goes on to say.. 480i60 and 480p60, but i don't see anything for 1080p60. obviously, the i60 and p60 means, interlace, but you will get p60 at 30i when captured, just as you do when you capture SD video at 29.970i (54.94) fps.

Code:
    1080i   @ 59.94, 30 frames
    1080p   @ 59.94, 60 frames -- not avail in this unit
     480i/p @ 59.94, 30 frames
     720p   @ 59.94, 60 frames
    so it seems the hauppauge hv pvr 1212 does not support 1080p60. so that may be a bummer for some people. but as a compensation, i am hopping that the 15 Mb/s bitrate limit can be tweaked to a higher value, like i know it can be on the hvr-1600 mpeg card--since i was able to tweak it to over 100 Mb/s bitrate, back in the day when i used to use it for the hardware mpeg. i did search the hv pvr 1212 for any tweaking in bitrate but so far did not see any.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    on the hvr pvr, model 1212 packaging, it says, resolutions up to 1080i. so i take that to mean it is 30i (54.94) fps. if that wasn't enough, the packging also goes on to say.. 480i60 and 480p60, but i don't see anything for 1080p60. obviously, the i60 and p60 means, interlace, but you will get p60 at 30i when captured, just as you do when you capture SD video at 29.970i (54.94) fps.

Code:
    1080i   @ 59.94, 30 frames
    1080p   @ 59.94, 60 frames -- not avail in this unit
     480i/p @ 59.94, 30 frames
     720p   @ 59.94, 60 frames
    so it seems the hauppauge hv pvr 1212 does not support 1080p60. so that may be a bummer for some people. but as a compensation, i am hopping that the 15 Mb/s bitrate limit can be tweaked to a higher value, like i know it can be on the hvr-1600 mpeg card--since i was able to tweak it to over 100 Mb/s bitrate, back in the day when i used to use it for the hardware mpeg. i did search the hv pvr 1212 for any tweaking in bitrate but so far did not see any.
    You need the newer HDMI 1080p model HD PVR2 1512 / 1519 or the new PVR2 gaming edition released last summer but preferably the one released in Feb 2013.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.

8. Originally Posted by gll99 View Post
    Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    so it seems the hauppauge hv pvr 1212 does not support 1080p60
    You need the newer HDMI 1080p model HD PVR2 1512 / 1519 or the new PVR2 gaming edition released last summer but preferably the one released in Feb 2013.
    Yes, the older Hauppauge HD PVR does not support 1080p60 and did not have an HDMI input (I have one). The HD PVR 2 has an HDMI input and supports 1080p60 input on that port (but not on the component input) but does not record at 1080p60. It discards every other frame and records 1080p30. I had the HD PVR 2 for a few weeks but decided to return it.

9. Originally Posted by danblake View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday. I haven't gotten it setup and tested yet. I used the link jagabo provided and purchased from the same company "Great Elect". Seeker47 is correct that there is no markings on the device stating "CVID" or "BG-550" but mine showed up in a full retail box. The box has Cvid-BG-550 barcode 639767937832 printed on it.

I've been trying to use the Intensity Pro PCI Card with the Tomtop HDMI Splitter. So far no luck outputting HDCP free content from the Tomtop HDMI Splitter. It does not appear to work. Output from the Tomtop HDMI splitter works fine on HDCP compliant TVs and Displays. But sending the Tomtop HDMI Splitter out out to the Intensity Pro HDMI input yields nothing.

I've tried suggestions from other posters on this forum to change my Cable Box output to 1060i, 1030i, and 720p, etc. None of these suggestions have worked so far. I know the Intensity Pro is working because I can pass content from my laptop HDMI out port to the Intensity Pro "in" port. The Intensity Pro outputs both to another HDMI device and on-screen running Blackmagic's Video Desktop software.

Previous posters have indicated they were successful with this exact combination of hardware to capture HD Cable/DVR content. I wish I knew the secret to this. So far it alludes me. I have a feeling it boils down to the fact that the Tomtop HDMI splitters I bought do not output HDCP free content, period.

Has anyone else tried this combination of hardware successfully?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by imissnumber3 View Post
    Originally Posted by danblake View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday. I haven't gotten it setup and tested yet. I used the link jagabo provided and purchased from the same company "Great Elect". Seeker47 is correct that there is no markings on the device stating "CVID" or "BG-550" but mine showed up in a full retail box. The box has Cvid-BG-550 barcode 639767937832 printed on it.

I've been trying to use the Intensity Pro PCI Card with the Tomtop HDMI Splitter. So far no luck outputting HDCP free content from the Tomtop HDMI Splitter. It does not appear to work. Output from the Tomtop HDMI splitter works fine on HDCP compliant TVs and Displays. But sending the Tomtop HDMI Splitter out out to the Intensity Pro HDMI input yields nothing.

I've tried suggestions from other posters on this forum to change my Cable Box output to 1060i, 1030i, and 720p, etc. None of these suggestions have worked so far. I know the Intensity Pro is working because I can pass content from my laptop HDMI out port to the Intensity Pro "in" port. The Intensity Pro outputs both to another HDMI device and on-screen running Blackmagic's Video Desktop software.

Previous posters have indicated they were successful with this exact combination of hardware to capture HD Cable/DVR content. I wish I knew the secret to this. So far it alludes me. I have a feeling it boils down to the fact that the Tomtop HDMI splitters I bought do not output HDCP free content, period.

Has anyone else tried this combination of hardware successfully?
    I haven't received either of my splitters yet but did you connect both devices at the same time... As I recall, one poster said he connected one output to his TV and a second to his device (out 1 and 4, I think). I'm trying to educate myself too for the day mine get here. Maybe it needs to establish a handshake with a hdcp compliant display device like your TV first so as not to trigger the protection and then you can add your capture unit.

btw) A side question. What model is your cable box.

Search Comp PM
    imissnumber3 and gll99: At least for the Cvid splitter, there is said to be a proper turn-On order for the connected devices. If this works for a few respondents, shouldn't it work for all ? (But I suppose there could be differences for some cable or sat box models . . . . )
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.

12. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    there is said to be a proper turn-On order for the connected devices.
    Since all outputs are the same format you need to make sure that the device with the lowest resolution, frame rate capability, and color depth capability, auto negotiates first. So if you have a device that can only handle up to 1080i30 and another device that can handle up to 1080p60 the 1080i30 device must perform the auto negotiation. Or you can force the source device to output 1080i30. Also try specifying YPbPr or RGB.

I don't know if there is a preference for which output port auto negotiates. I would try switching the outputs around to see if that helps. Ie, if output 1 to TV and output 2 to capture device doesn't work try swapping the cables so that output 1 goes to the capture device and output 2 goes to the TV.

13. Interesting. I swear I've plugged and unplugged all devices in every conceivable order possible while trying to get this to work, but maybe not. I create a matrix spreadsheet with all possible orders of connection and run thru them all. With each combination I'll power everything down, make the connections and power everything up. I'll also set the output from my Cable box to 720p

gll99, I'll check the Cable box Mfg and Model # when I get home tonight and reply.

Thanks for you help folks. BTW I just ordered a CVID BG-550 from Great Elect thru Amazon.com. Might be another waste of $$$. We'll see.

14. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    This one is the holy grail of HDCP strippers for me, since I consider a powered splitter to be a requirement in any HDMI capture setup anyway and I want the smallest one possible.

Purchased from the above Amazon.com link on 4/16 for $25.90 with shipping to Canada. Shipped from 95763 on 4/17 and it arrived 5/08 (the tracking claims that it took 7 business days to get from LA to customs). It works as expected.

The photos are accurate (unlike the CVID, they did bother to add their logo onto it). Though the power adapter I happened to get is better than that (horizontally-oriented so it doesn't cover another outlet). The LED colors are all red. While the listing says "HDMI 1.3 + HDCP1.0/1.1/1.2", the circuit board says "HDMI 1.4 1to2 with 3D".

Click image for larger version

Name:	VHD-1X2MN3D.jpg
Views:	7641
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	17730

I no longer have a use for the 1x4 stripping splitter, so if anyone wants to buy it from me, send me a PM.

Name:	HDCP strippers - both.JPG
Views:	36169
Size:	809.2 KB
ID:	17732 Click image for larger version

Name:	HDCP strippers - 1x4.JPG
Views:	35167
Size:	792.8 KB
ID:	17731 Click image for larger version

Name:	HDCP strippers - 1x2.JPG
Views:	36733
Size:	749.7 KB
ID:	17733

The input in both splitters is a chip labelled HS07. The outputs are Pericom Semiconductor P13HDMI-412ADZBE. They both also have one unlabelled chip, with differing physical shape.
    Last edited by Brad; 9th May 2013 at 04:51. Reason: Added internals

15. Nice to know the 1x2 splitter also strips HDCP.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've bought the below 3 HDMI splitters and I can confirm that all of them are stripping HDCP.

http://www.amazon.com/CVID-BG-550-portable-Powered-Splitter/dp/B0089DVCT8/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290857674191

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270641169821

The first two are almost identical.
    Same packaging & everything, even the logo is not present.
    The only difference between them is that in the ebay item which came from China there is an additional extention to be added to the power adapter which was useful where I live.

Hope someone will benefit from my post.

Regards,
    Mouna.

Search Comp PM
    I got mine from a link posted earlier by Jagabo. It wasn't the one he ordered but I thought I'd try it since it was available through Amazon.ca even though it ships from the States.

http://www.amazon.ca/Panlong-Powered-Amplifier-Splitter-Support/dp/B00CE4ZUDC/

Even though the name is different (Panlong) it's not on the unit itself. It looks just like the 2nd link in the post above mine. The lettering is exactly the same. http://www.ebay.com/itm/290857674191

Mine was ordered from Amazon.ca on April 22 2013. The seller is ACE Deal and it was delivered this past Monday but I only picked it up from my friends house today. It was well packaged in a retail box and further protected in an external cardboard box. Really good job by the seller.

I can confirm that it works like the others. Quick test.... I captured a HD cable signal over HDMI using the Hauppauge USB 1512/1519 HD PVR2.

I am still awaiting the one from China from TOMTOP which is still in transit after an initial out of stock delay .
    Last edited by gll99; 10th May 2013 at 15:18.

18. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    I can tell you that the one I have that looks identical leaves HDCP intact.

19. Ok, I bought the ViewHD one you posted. I live in the UK, and ought I buy a separate DC charger as opposed to putting the supplied one into a £1.00GBP adapter?

I want to use it to connect at least a satellite box if not a combination of satellite box, blu-ray player, and games consoles through an av receiver or a hub to a 720p TV from 2004.

20. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    The adapter that I got is 100-240V and 50-60Hz. If yours says the same thing, just use the 1GBP plug piece.

21. Member
    Search PM
    Hi guys so i tested this

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0042KY0GY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it does NOT work... well it works well as intended but no signs of HDCP stripping
    (Avermedia CaptureHD says the content is copy protected)

now i ordered form AMAZON US the 1x4 splitter you are talking about CVID...
    that will be a long journey from US to Italy.. but when i will get it i will let you know if it works here..
    I'm wondering that these splitters work with stripping only with certain hdcp output devices
    actually i am using a satellite decoder as hdcp source...

bye

Search Comp PM
    I finally received and tested the 4 port splitter I ordered from TomTop. It is not like the picture of the one I posted in post #273. It is in fact identical to the Panlong I referred to in post #317 above. The Panlong shipped from the USA and the TomTop shipped from China. The units are not just similar they are identical in every respect. Same identical retail box, same exact lettering, same round button, same everything, identical power module. It is the same unit and it works.

Name:	Splitter_Panlong.jpg
Views:	21576
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	17909
    Last edited by gll99; 16th May 2013 at 13:37.

23. Member
    Search PM
    Maybe it was already answered but I don't really have time to read through all pages.
    Does this HDMI splitter use the same chip as the famous ViewHD HDMI splitter or does it at least also strip HDCP?

And are there any affordable "HDMI interfaces" like small signal processors that can scale the video (maybe even deinterlace it) and convert audio from 5.1/7.1 channel to stereo and decode DTS or other audio codecs to PCM?
    Last edited by vin97; 24th May 2013 at 15:41.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
    Best I can tell bout that avermedia seeker linked is that input is component.

http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Portable-Capture-Xbox360-60Mbps/dp/B00B2IZ3B0/ref=cm_c...pr_product_top

Very Interesting

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
    Best I can tell bout that avermedia seeker linked is that input is component.

Very Interesting
    We'll have to see how this compares to the other Avermedia device, or the Elgato one. (I just now watched the video in that ads-link page I posted on May 5, and it looked o.k. to me.) Re this LGP version, we may not know for sure until someone here tries it out for real-world HD video capture.

Some preliminary issues occur to me. If the SD card has to be formatted as FAT-32, that may not be terribly useful for recording a whole one-hour program or something longer. (Not to mention, what max. capacities are available in SDHC cards, and would they wind up costing as much as the recording device itself, since you need the fastest type ?) USB-2 is a pretty slow interface for working with a lot of content or larger files. Then there are the points cited by jagabo in post #304.

I agree that this sounds quite interesting in principle. If using HDMI, I assume the signal would have to go through one of these HDCP strippers first, and then hopefully that does not introduce any lag, sync, or other problems just from that.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 27th May 2013 at 12:12.

26. Hi,

This is a very interesting thread. However I've noticed that all the splitters that remove HDCP are one input. Are there any that do this that support two inputs (switchbox)?

Thanks.

27. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    I can tell you that the one I have that looks identical leaves HDCP intact.
    Hi,

Sorry to have to ask but which post/link where you referring to when you stated the above, was it to this item?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2-Port-1x2-1080p-3D-HDMI-Splitter-Amplifier-Switch-box-H...282026&afsrc=1

Also, I am a bit confused when you say it leaves the HDCP intact, are you saying it does not remove the HDCP and therefore the content is not recordable?

I hope to buy a two port output version in the UK and just wish to be sure it will work and strip the HDCP before going ahead with the purchase

28. Originally Posted by HDMICP View Post
    Ok, I bought the ViewHD one you posted. I live in the UK, and ought I buy a separate DC charger as opposed to putting the supplied one into a £1.00GBP adapter?

I want to use it to connect at least a satellite box if not a combination of satellite box, blu-ray player, and games consoles through an av receiver or a hub to a 720p TV from 2004.
    Hi,

Would you please be able to let me know how you are getting on with your purchase? I live in the UK and wish to use it for similar purposes.

Also, have you a link to the unit that you purchased, I noticed the Amazon UK listings were being sold from a company based in California so presumable they need to ship them to the UK to customers?

There is a two port version available on eBay UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290686850765?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2...ht_4852wt_1399

The same seller is also selling them direct from their web site:

http://www.digi4u.co.uk/electronics/audio-video-accessories/adapters-converters/2-way-....aqu1mG0s.dpbs

Both of the above are not branded with the "ViewHD" logo so I am not sure if they actually strip out the HDCP?

Any advice or feedback most appreciated.

Thx

29. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Neither of those looks like the 1x2 splitter that strips HDCP. You want to avoid the ones with the blue circle design.