VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello All,

I currently own
    1) An older 5.1 DD/DTS receiver
    2) A DVD player that plays DVD-Audio/SACD connected to the receiver via analog cables
    3) An HD-DVD player connected to the receiver via optical cable

I'd like to get down to just 1 player and 1 receiver. I think the cheapest route would be to get a newer 5.1 receiver with HDMI inputs that can handle the new hd audio formats and a bluray player that will play the sacd's I have.

This will leave me with DVD-Audio and HD-DVD's that I will need to rip/convert to bluray which shouldn't be too big of a deal. The last part, however, will be converting my DVD-Audio to one of the new HD audio formats. I used the DVD-Audio Explorer tool in the past which rips the dvd-audio discs to the computer, but I was wondering if there are any HD audio encoders out there yet that are free or if anyone has gone through the process of converting their DVD-Audio discs to a less obscure format?

My goal is one player, one reciever, one hdmi cable to handle it all!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Only Oppo makes a BluRay player that can play SACD and DVD-Audio discs. I have a few times ripped DVD-Audio discs for my own personal use but I just ripped the AC3 tracks and converted them to 2 channel CD audio using Headac3he. It seemed like way too much work to rip and convert the multichannel uncompressed audio when I could very easily rip and convert the AC3 files and honestly, in my car I probably can't tell any difference.

I suppose it's worth mentioning that while you can rip and convert HD DVDs that there is no way to convert the menus so people who do it just rip the main movie only.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    yep I've seen the $$$ Oppo $$$ and that's why I'm trying to get creative with converting my stuff..yeah for the hd-dvd I really only care about the main movie. I don't own that many anyways so even if I lost them it wouldn't be a big hit.
    Quote Quote