VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.
    I've got a mkv video that I'm trying to play on a multimedia-enabled TV set (through its USB plug, it's an LG 32LH7000), but with no success.
    I tried this same mkv on my pc with MPC-HC and DXVA acceleration (both native and ffdshow dxva version, using a mobile radeon hd4570), with no success either, it will play only on software mode and/or if i disable compatibility controls on mpc-hc native decoder.
    I've tried to remux the file with mkvmerge latest version (4.6.0) disabling header compression (it helped time ago with a remux i was trying to make), but it didn't help, so i guess that the problem is in the h264 stream.
    So comes what I'm guessing to do: analyze the h.264 stream and check if it's correct, and if it is, what should I do to play my file on my tv set.
    Anybody could suggest me what free program can I use for analyze my mkv file and check what's wrong with it?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not all h.264 features are supported by DXVA and televisions. You will probably have to reencode with parameters that your TV supports. MediaInfo may give you some hints about the file. Look for too many reference frames, too many consecutive b-frames, too high a bitrate, PAFF, MBAFF, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, I used MediaInfo to read infos about that mkv video and I found that its profile is High@L5.1 and has 8 Ref Frames (does it mean reference frames, right?), while another mkv that's "dxva and tv-compatible" have High@L4.1 profile and 5 Ref Frames.
    Should I post a text dump from MediaInfo to make you or someone else check what's wrong for dxva/tv compatibility? Honestly I don't know what does my TV supports, maybe as many DVB-T HD decoders supports, it would be limited to High@L4.1 and 5 ref frames (I've read it somewhere)...

Btw, is there any way to change the proper bits without reencoding the whole video?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took a look in the product manual and it has some info, ie. it says that anything over profile 4.1 may not play smoothly.
    It also mentions some USB sticks may not be fast enough to play high bit rate properly.
    See page 96.
    Unfortunately, the files will have to be re-encoded to work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. One thing to note: the profile is just a flag in the header. Anyone can change that flag to say whatever they want. That doesn't make the video match that profile. Just like you could take a college level textbook and mark it "for ages 3 to 5" on the cover.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK then. I'm going to use my Core I7 to re-encode the video, since it's very long: which encoder software should I use that supports my CPU to the max? (I mean everyone of the 8 virtual cpus). I guess a multi-threaded one, right?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ranmamez View Post
    ok then. I'm going to use my core i7 to re-encode the video, since it's very long: Which encoder software should i use that supports my cpu to the max? (i mean everyone of the 8 virtual cpus). I guess a multi-threaded one, right?
    Thanks in advance.
    All the cores in the world will not help until you know exactly what your TV can play.
    Quote Quote  
  8. x264. Or any of the GUI front ends like Xvid4PSP.
    Quote Quote