VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a cablecard tuner and understand that some shows like HBO are copy once and it can only be played on the computer that recorded it. If I can't even watch it on another computer or tv in my home, how is it that you can find these files online already converted to many formats? What do they use that allows them to convert these files to other formats?
    It's sad that I am stuck watching the copy protected shows only on what I recorded it to. There's got to be a way around this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pcostanza View Post
    I have a cablecard tuner and understand that some shows like HBO are copy once and it can only be played on the computer that recorded it. If I can't even watch it on another computer or tv in my home, how is it that you can find these files online already converted to many formats? What do they use that allows them to convert these files to other formats?
    It's sad that I am stuck watching the copy protected shows only on what I recorded it to. There's got to be a way around this.
    People who record HBO programming to post online are circumventing the copy protection somehow, but that is not possible when using a CableCARD tuner.

As the owner of a CableCARD tuner you must be aware that one of the requirements for these devices is PVR software that uses PlayReady Content Access and Protection Technology to secure recordings you make from programming marked "copy once". Nobody has posted a method to decrypt protected recordings, as far as I know.

Ceton says this about playing your recordings:
    With Media Center Extenders like the Xbox 360™, your Media Center PC with the Ceton InfiniTV 4 becomes a whole-home entertainment device for digital cable. Watch and record different channels in different rooms, all from one PC, and using the familiar Windows Media Center user interface on all TVs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. I am aware that the cablecard could never be where it is today (Ceton and soon HD Prime) without Cable Labs approval. The thought of having to buy an Xbox on top of the Ceton is something I am not happy with but aware of.
    The majority of what I record is copy freely so it's not a major problem, just an aggravation. It's a shame the good have to suffer for the bad.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    how is it that you can find these files online already converted to many formats? What do they use that allows them to convert these files to other formats?
    The magic here is not in the conversion, it's in the recording. Those shows are recorded using devices that don't respect the copy flag in the video so that enables the person who recorded it to do whatever they want with the show.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Likely, an HD PVR?
    Let me be clear, I'm not wanting to break any laws, I'm one who believes I should be able to watch what I record on any device in my house.
    I'm stuck until such time as everything is viewed on the internet. For now I'll either have to pony up $$$$ for an Xbox or just grab it off the web.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Likely, an HD PVR?
    That's my guess exactly but as I do not have one I cannot personally confirm that it records without honoring the copy flag. I think it does, for whatever my thoughts are worth.
    Quote Quote