VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for a converting software that can convert files to the .MTS video format. I have not seen any. I am not looking for converters that can convert MTS to other files, because I know there's so many softwares like that, what I'm looking is back to the .MTS format.

Why?

I have MTS files that are too heavy for editing (Full HD) and I'd like to downgrade them to a lower quality so I can edit them faster, but still .MTS format. and Why again?

because I am using Adobe Premiere Pro, and after editing I am going to change the source files back to the original Full HD files, and Premiere only automatically detect those files if they were on the same format and filename, if not I have to do it one-by-one, and I do not want to do that. There are too many clips.

So what I'm basically gonna do is MTS (full HD) to MTS (low quality) conversion. If you know other alternatives, please tell me. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well mts is not really a format its a container. It usually holds h264 video.

You might consider converting to high bitrate mpeg2. that would let you edit with a lighter cpu load. I was instructed to do that for an edit job I was doing on an older dual core.

You can use hcenc or quenc inside avstodvd and set to something like 25mbs and maintain your resolution and 16:9 9(or set it to 1280x720 if you want to reduce the load even more).

I have the thread around here somewhere. If I can find it I'll post it. I got the majority of the help on that from longtime resident expert eddv.

edit - start reading here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/321737-Would-more-ram-help-with-playback-issue-in-P...=1#post1992630

Jagabo also lent support for that discussion. I was able to edit the mpeg2 more fluidly and then reconvert to m2ts in my case I believe it was. The end result still looked very good despite converting to mpeg2 and back again.

edit 2 - I don't believe any will do straight mts to mts. More common would be m2ts or ts.

You might also look into ripbot264 that works with h264 video well and other sources.

Use gspot or mediainfo to identify the actual codec used inside the mts container.
    Last edited by yoda313; 18th Apr 2011 at 09:40.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay thanks alot.

No I was not thinking of converting into something, then converting back again so I can achieve a similar quality to the original. I was only thinking about converting to a lower quality MTS so that after editing I can let the converted files within Premiere be replaced with the original files, just before exporting/saving the whole editing.

So I'm like just gonna be using the converted files for editing then after that I'm gonna delete them and search for the real/original source files for Premiere to use before exporting.

If it's not possible for MTS to MTS or any video to MTS, then I have to do retrieving back to original source files one-by-one. Because in Premiere, when the files are lost then you are instructed to look for them, if you click one of the files, it automatically uses all the rest of the same file format and filename. I'm just lazy to click them one-by-one.

So thanks again for the MPEG2 and highbitrate suggestion thing, for smooth editing.
    Last edited by dzsoul; 18th Apr 2011 at 11:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I take it these are camcorder files? I'd check with the manufacturer to see if they have conversion software. They probably only have dvd or youtube conversion options. But there might be an outside chance you could downconvert with the software in the original format.

A side option MIGHT be to use multiavchd. You could create a avchd with it. You could tell it to make a 720p avchd. Assuming premiere accepts that you could go that route. Avchd is h264 video inside a m2ts file.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote