VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I hope someone can help me with this, I tried to search the forum, but there are so many resources that I got lost, I'm looking for something simple!

I need to crop some mpg2 video I recorded from the web, I mean I need to cut a little bit of the screen of all 4 sides because I recorded too much of it. I'm looking for something simple and easy, that won't change the original quality too much.

I have Ulead Videostudio and Cyberlink powerdirector. Also Adobe premiere... but it's too difficult for me.

I don't mind the program, I can use whatever you suggest me... I just need something easy because I'm not really good at it.

Thank you very much to anyone who will help me!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try the freeware AviDemux. Under video filters, there is a crop option. That program is fairly easy to use.

But a couple of things to be aware of. Cropping means you will have to re-encode the video. If it's MPEG-2, you can use the same format. You will lose some quality, but you could up the bitrate to lessen the loss. But that will also make the file larger.

Second thing, if this video is going to go on a DVD, then it has to be a certain size to meet the DVD specifications.

There are other video editors that can also do this. Some of our other members may suggest some.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One other thing - I believe I am correct in saying this - if you are going to crop Mpeg2 video which is interlaced then you MUST deinterlace first otherwise you will destroy your video - it will have interlaced artifacts
    Quote Quote  
  4. I will try AviDemux. Thank you!

As for deinterlacing it, how can I do that with AviDemux? I said I was a newbie...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    if you are going to crop Mpeg2 video which is interlaced then you MUST deinterlace first otherwise you will destroy your video - it will have interlaced artifacts
    Not necessarily.
    There is no problem in cropping off the sides, and cropping off the top or bottom can be done without deinterlacing as long as it is done in multiples of 4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gavino View Post
    if you are going to crop Mpeg2 video which is interlaced then you MUST deinterlace first otherwise you will destroy your video - it will have interlaced artifacts
    Not necessarily.
    There is no problem in cropping off the sides, and cropping off the top or bottom can be done without deinterlacing as long as it is done in multiples of 4.
    Interesting comment since a while back I did this: program = Ulead Video Editor V7

1. Started with a PAL source Mpeg2 4:3 video (720*576) upper field - did NOT deinterlace
    2. Cropped 72 lines top, 72 lines bottom (that is in multiples of 4)
    3. reencoded video to retain the 720*576 so I now had a 16:9 anamorphic DVD video upper field

The resultant video was full of interlaced artifacts.

However, if I deinterlaced and then performed steps 2 and 3 there were no artifacts in the finished video.

Which begs the question. If the problem was not caused by failing to deinterlace then it must have been caused by the reencoding ???
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    1. Started with a PAL source Mpeg2 4:3 video (720*576) upper field - did NOT deinterlace
    3. reencoded video to retain the 720*576 so I now had a 16:9 anamorphic DVD video upper field

Because you resized after cropping. If the video isn't going to DVD it doesn't have to be resized back to 720x576.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your distribution video will be web/computer then you must/should deinterlace. Interlaced video is only for TV viewing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

Because you resized after cropping. If the video isn't going to DVD it doesn't have to be resized back to 720x576.
    But the whole point is that the video WAS going to DVD. It had to be resized.

Now is that not the point of this topic ?. There is little point is just cropping as the resultant Mpeg2 will be an odd non-compliant size
    Quote Quote