VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have been converting video files to DVD for months using AVS4YOU and have never had a problem. They play back fine on my Philips DVD player, which is connected to my tv.

Yesterday, I converted a new bunch of AVI files (Roary the Race car). Everything (sound and picture) works fine on my Windows XP PC, but on my DVD player, there is no sound. Other cartoons, burned at the same time and on the same DVD, work perfectly.

I've been looking around on the web for solutions but there's nothing that hits the nail on the head. I reckon it is something to do with codecs. I downloaded Gspot , which I have never used before, and opened one of the problem AVI files.

In the Audio section it says:
    Codec: 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3
    Info:48000Hz 128 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo
    It says, 'Codecs Installed'.
    It also says 'Audio frames: split across interleaves'

Anybody know how I can resolve my issue?

Kind Regards,

Christophe.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you also provide audio specs for the corresponding VOB file?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,

I opened the VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB in GSpot and under the audio section I get:

Codec: MPEG-1 Layer 2
    0xc0:48000Hz 224 kb/s tot , Stereo

Then I opened another VOB where the sound is working correctly on my DVD player, and it tells me the exact same specs. Which I think leaves me none the wiser...

Hope you can help. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I used to have that problem with one of my DVD players, wouldn't play the audio when I converted using MP2 audio. Switch to PCM or AC3 and all will be fine. Not dsure where MP2 falls in the DVD standards, but it seems to be one of those 'iffy' things.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  5. What do you mean, 'Switch to PCM or AC3'? If I extract the Mpeg sound and save it as PCM or AC3, then surely I won't have any video. What software is out there for converting my avi file, to another avi file, if necessary, but with the sound encoded as a different format than the mpeg that currently exists? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your Mpeg video is a container which had a video stream and an audio stream. The audio stream does not have to be mpeg11 (not to be confused with Mpeg2 which is the video stream). It can be LPCM or ac3.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Des View Post
    I used to have that problem with one of my DVD players, wouldn't play the audio when I converted using MP2 audio.
    It's common issue with DVD players produced for the US market but shouldn't be a case with Europeans. NTSC specification requires AC3 audio but PAL accepts MP2.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What program did you use to convert the video to DVD? See if it has a AC3 or LPCM option. I use AVStoDVD which has the AC3 option.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote