VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I typically have a 1080i Transport Stream that I want to encode to multiple sizes and or formats, I'm curious about de-interlacing in the process.

I typically use MeGUI and create an index of the MPG stream, load up a .avs to de-interlace and resize my video during encoding, for an hour show doing a 2 pass XviD for example takes about 90 mins per pass, so a 3 hour job.

Code:
    LoadPlugin("D:\MeGUI\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
    DGDecode_mpeg2source("G:\Recorded TV\Show1_.d2v", info=3)
    LoadPlugin("D:\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\ColorMatrix.dll")
    ColorMatrix(hints=true, interlaced=true, threads=0)
    Load_Stdcall_Plugin("D:\MeGUI\tools\yadif\yadif.dll")
    Yadif(order=1)
    #crop
    LanczosResize(720,400) # Lanczos (Sharp)
    #denoise
    Now lets say I also want a lower quality copy of the same video for portable use, I could use the same script just change the LanczosResize values and run it again, but you have another 3 hour job.

Is there other options than just doing the encode over? Like could one de-interlace to a interim file then run off the 2 resizing jobs after? Would this actually save any time or just degrade quality by doing it separately?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most TV shows are shot on film these days so deinterlacing might not even be the right procedure.

But yes, I suppose you could save out to an intermediate lossless 720x400 AVI and then use that as a basis for all the encodes. It'll go slowly for the lossless file (90 minutes because of only a single pass), but all the encodes after that should be quite fast.

In addition, you could save loads of time by running one-pass encodes for quant 3 or whatever quality you want. The only reason for running two-pass encodes is for specific sizes (like a single CD). And you don't need the ColorMatrix filter at all.
    Quote Quote