VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm soon going to be doing a music video with my friend.

However, I'm trying to do it a certain way. I'm going to record myself in one video and my friend playing an instrument as another video. Now I want to put these two videos together so that the are playing together at the same time in one screen.
    You can see that it's done right here:
    YouTube - "Just A Dream" by Nelly - Sam Tsui & Christina Grimmie

Can anyone help me achieve this? Is there a tutorial out there for this? Much thanks!
    It won't be just two videos at the same time. It will most likely be about 3-4.
    I have Adobe After Affect CS5 as well as Sony Vegas Pro 10.

Much thanks!

I'm looking to achieve the same look as done in the video. I'm new to After Effect but if anyone can help, it would be great!
    Quote Quote  
  2. this is quite simple to do - essentially you just adjust each video, scale them, crop them and arrange them how ever you want

If you want the white border around each, use a white layer as the "bottom" layer

Think of it as being arranged in layers, the layers on top show , but the ones on the bottom are covered up. So you can partially cover up some layers with the layers on top. An analogy would be putting magazines on a white table
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 12th Apr 2011 at 01:07.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are new to After Effects this is much easier done in Vegas. After Effects has a larger learning curve. In Vegas add the videos to your timeline, rotate and resize them so that they fit them in a way that suits you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes there is nothing here that you can't do in vegas or premiere or any decent NLE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think you'll find that the hardest thing about your project to put into actual practice is perfectly syncing up the various takes.

I suggest:
    Click tracks (whether audible or visual or both), along with an IFB device for cueing. (small enough to be hidden, like newscasters)
    Clap-stick & 2pop for editing.
    Each performer referencing the same original source.

After that, the video effects are a breeze.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    this is quite simple to do - essentially you just adjust each video, scale them, crop them and arrange them how ever you want

If you want the white border around each, use a white layer as the "bottom" layer

Think of it as being arranged in layers, the layers on top show , but the ones on the bottom are covered up. So you can partially cover up some layers with the layers on top. An analogy would be putting magazines on a white table
    Do you think you can go into more details on that? Not the white layer. I think I can get that down.

Thanks everyone! I am still new to all this. Only experience so far is really basic editing and transitions.

If anyone else can also help me out, it would be great!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for the link!
    However, Does anyone know how to get a white background? Because I don't want the usual black background when editing all the clips together.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video Event FX -> Border -> Solid
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thank You! One last thing. Does anyone know how to crop a certain part of a video? Like lets say we have a video of Guitar Hero. How do you crop it so that the clip is only showing the person playing and leaving everything else around him out? Like I want to use only the right side of a certain clip. How do i go about doing that? Thanks everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For simplicity purposes use the cookie cutter.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cookie cutter.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	6473
    Or use the crop / zoom event (the diamond looking marker)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	split.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	6474
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by R3CONF1GUR3D View Post
    you are welcome
    Quote Quote