VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

i recently bought this blu ray player but i cannot make it play avi files i tried to put them in an usb and its still it cannot find them. how do i need to encode them?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure that this is even possible? I ask this because
    1) Sony BluRay players are notorious for NOT supporting AVI at all.
    2) Some BluRay players use the USB port ONLY for updating firmware and they cannot play media through it.

You'll need to check your manual to see if it's even possible. If it is then look here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/290800-My-DivX-DVD-Player-can-t-play-my-avi-DivX-xvid-video
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last november I bought a Sony BluRay player from Best Buy (it said it was DLNA compliant) and found that it only played divx files in Canada. If I encoded things to mpeg2 it worked quite well across my network, or from a jump drive. I have since given it away. I recommend a Samsung Bluray player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. That's the Costco version of the BDP-S570. According to the S570 manual, only the Canadian version will play DivX. Your player supposedly accepts MPEG1 PS, MPEG2 PS/TS, MPEG4 AVC, WMV9. And the manual doesn't explicitly specify USB stick, which is what I think you mean. It just says USB devices. Only saying...one shouldn't assume too much from such a remarkably uninformative "manual".

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote