VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I would appreciate an opinion regarding which of the following processors would be the most capable in my system for video capture, editing and rendering (all other system compoents being equal that is). Motherboard is the one listed in the link.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/785GT-E63.html#?div=CPUSupport

I would tend to think it is the HD995ZXAJ4BGH and I am currently running the ADO5600IAA5DO. Is it likely I will get an appreciable boost in processing power if I was to install the HD995ZXAJ4BGH? Any drawbacks?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've got an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (not on your list - yours tops out at the 1090T) and it's pretty sweet.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The L3 cache on the Phenom would help, but that CPU is a full 300 MHz slower than the one you're running now. I would think things would be pretty much even between the two; except this is like comparing apples and oranges. You can't just look at CPU speed and judge how well things will go, much depends on the software you're using. Some programs benefit from L3 cache, others do better with a faster clock and some are optimised for Intel. If you can find benchmark charts that include your programs, you can get a better picture of what will work best for you.

Is someone giving you this CPU? Unless it's really cheap, I can't see spending any money on that Phenom when your board will support the much better performing Athlon II and Phenom II. If price is an issue, check out the Phenom II X2 555. It's pretty cheap with free shipping from newegg and you may be able to unlock extra cores. BTW depending on the software, extra cores don't necessarily mean faster; if the software isn't multi-threaded, the extra cores just sit idle.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Not a freebie unfortunately (around $140 if I can get it for that). Using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 Suite for software although I also know that are multiple other free ones that are talked about on the forum. Just haven't had time to use them. I don't know if the Sony software would be helped with a new chip (running Windows 7 32 bit).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wow for that kind of money you can get a Phenom II X4 955 (click on this to see it) that's 400 MHz faster and has more L3 cache. But, you might as well max out your capabilities and go for the Phenom II X6 1090T, all for just an extra $60. And yes Vegas is multi-threaded, so the more cores the better.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Wow for that kind of money you can get a Phenom II X4 955 (click on this to see it) that's 400 MHz faster and has more L3 cache. But, you might as well max out your capabilities and go for the Phenom II X6 1090T, all for just an extra $60. And yes Vegas is multi-threaded, so the more cores the better.

The 955 is listed in the QVL list but but the 1090T is not. Do you think the mobo will support the 1090T? The QVL does list all those other Phenom II X6's so I tend to think it would but am not sure. Thanks for the info that Vegas was multi-threaded
    Quote Quote  
  7. Decided to get the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz (HDT90ZFBK6DGR).Top of the list in the QVL and preferred to stay with their suggestions. I am sure it will be a lot faster than the X2 Brisbane I am currently running. Appreciate all your help and it steered me to the right choice.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Actually the 1090T is in the list, but the 1100T isn't. Even though it's not listed, chances are it would work too. The TDP is the same (125W) as the 1090T and your board supports the multiplier. The difference in performance between the two is so small, you might as well save the $30 and spend it on a better cooler. These CPU's can take a 10% clock boost no problem. That will give you the best performance from applications that benefit from faster clock rate.

Being Black CPU's they also have unlocked multiplier, but changing that doesn't have the same advantages. Best is a combination of clock and multiplier; a speed around 3.8GHz can be acheived at stock voltage. With a voltage boost they max out around 4GHz.

You should know that the T CPU's have the turbo mode and when the CPU uses three cores or less, the speed will increase to 3.6GHz.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    Actually the 1090T is in the list, but the 1100T isn't. Even though it's not listed, chances are it would work too. The TDP is the same (125W) as the 1090T and your board supports the multiplier. The difference in performance between the two is so small, you might as well save the $30 and spend it on a better cooler. These CPU's can take a 10% clock boost no problem. That will give you the best performance from applications that benefit from faster clock rate.

Being Black CPU's they also have unlocked multiplier, but changing that doesn't have the same advantages. Best is a combination of clock and multiplier; a speed around 3.8GHz can be acheived at stock voltage. With a voltage boost they max out around 4GHz.

You should know that the T CPU's have the turbo mode and when the CPU uses three cores or less, the speed will increase to 3.6GHz.

I actually already installed a Cooler Master Vortex Plus which dropped the temps on my old CPU from about 50C to 30C or so and added an extra fan to the back to cool the system also. I haven't gotten into overclocking very much but the motherboard has a "Easy OC Switch" that I can push to up the FSB 10% or 15%. The mobo instruction also mention activating a dual-core function using MSI software that allows for changing the mobo and graphics card (I have a MSI graphic card so that works out well) and fan speeds but I don't know if that will still work with the CPU that I am purchasing? I think it would but will have to see. MSI also includes software for overclocking the dual-core CPU (Dynamic Overclocking) but again I am not sure if that will apply to the new chip. I would like the enhanced performance for video capture, rendering and editing but don't want to fry anything due to my inexperience. Any comments/suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote