VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Thread
  1. Member Shilar's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Say I have 3D movies in both channels, and I wish to put them on 3D Blu Ray. What software might I need?
    MKV: Merely Krappy Video.

    Subbers, a request from an avid viewer: Either don't use mkv, or supply avi or mp4 as an alternative.

    For those frustrated with converting MKV: http://www.immortalmusic.net/mkv/
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2001
    Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search Comp PM
    Channels?

    The current choices for true spec 3DBD authoring right now are:
    Netblender DoStudio
    Sonic Scenarist
    Sony BluPrint
    or send 'em to a production company that owns a copy of one of those, or a service company that has their own proprietary solutions (like Panasonic).

    They cost more than you think because they also require a spec MVC encoder.

    If you don't mind manually adjusting your 3DTV set, you can get a copy of Roxio Creator 2011 and make a "REALD" DVD or BluRay, which is in effect a Side-by-Side encode onto standard authored formats. Since most 3DTV sets have no trouble with SbS, this is doable, but note that this isn't backwards compatible with a standard 2D TV set (you can't turn it off, unless you make an extra track).
    Similarly, you could do an Anaglyph or Field-sequential encode, but WHY BOTHER? Too low quality.

    Maybe next year prices will go down...

    Scott
    "When will the rhetorical questions end?!" - George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member Shilar's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I might have to figure out which 3D modes are supported when I buy the passive 3D TV. I saw about 5 modes. So that way I can use 3D DVDs.
    MKV: Merely Krappy Video.

    Subbers, a request from an avid viewer: Either don't use mkv, or supply avi or mp4 as an alternative.

    For those frustrated with converting MKV: http://www.immortalmusic.net/mkv/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member yoda313's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: The Animus
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shilar
    So that way I can use 3D DVDs.
    You can use those right now on any set as far as I know.

    At least the ones that call for standard paper glasses. Just make sure you have either red/cyan or magenta/green depending on what they require. Of course it should still upconvert the dvd like a normal dvd if that is what you are looking to achieve.

    Sorry if you are looking for a different answer but I thought I'd mention that about the regular dvds. There may be a special 3d dvd that DOES require a true 3dtv but I don't know if there are right now.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member Shilar's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by shilar
    So that way I can use 3D DVDs.
    You can use those right now on any set as far as I know.

    At least the ones that call for standard paper glasses. Just make sure you have either red/cyan or magenta/green depending on what they require. Of course it should still upconvert the dvd like a normal dvd if that is what you are looking to achieve.

    Sorry if you are looking for a different answer but I thought I'd mention that about the regular dvds. There may be a special 3d dvd that DOES require a true 3dtv but I don't know if there are right now.
    True, with anaglyph you can (the red/cyan). The ones I have are actually separated into left and right channels. I want to make one compatible with the new LG TV (which I plan to get, RealD Glasses woo!).
    MKV: Merely Krappy Video.

    Subbers, a request from an avid viewer: Either don't use mkv, or supply avi or mp4 as an alternative.

    For those frustrated with converting MKV: http://www.immortalmusic.net/mkv/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member yoda313's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: The Animus
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shilar
    The ones I have are actually separated into left and right channels.
    You can encode those to anaglyph. There are a couple of different ways to do it from what I understand. I have taken side by side video and encoded it to anaglyph with the help of jagabo here. You can search for the thread from earlier this week.

    If they are fully individual files for left and right there is some procedure to do that also. You should be able to do it with multiavchd. I just haven't done it myself so I can't walk through that process.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member Shilar's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by shilar
    The ones I have are actually separated into left and right channels.
    You can encode those to anaglyph. There are a couple of different ways to do it from what I understand. I have taken side by side video and encoded it to anaglyph with the help of jagabo here. You can search for the thread from earlier this week.

    If they are fully individual files for left and right there is some procedure to do that also. You should be able to do it with multiavchd. I just haven't done it myself so I can't walk through that process.
    Mhmm, but I'm getting a 3D TV for this, so don't need it. I just wondered if there was a way yet to record 3D Blu-Ray.
    MKV: Merely Krappy Video.

    Subbers, a request from an avid viewer: Either don't use mkv, or supply avi or mp4 as an alternative.

    For those frustrated with converting MKV: http://www.immortalmusic.net/mkv/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2001
    Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search Comp PM
    Then, I'd say, for the very short term:

    Save your originals to HD.
    Get a copy of Roxio Creator2011.
    Author & Burn to "RealD" format (aka Side-by-Side)
    Play in your DVD/BD player (=2d at this point) via HDMI, etc.
    Set your 3DTV to "3D - SideBySide".
    Put your glasses on and enjoy.

    Then, when 3DBD authoring gets cheaper, author to a true 3DBD, and enjoy even more.

    The difference would be:
    3DBD has COMPLETE 2D backward compatibility, whereas other forms don't.
    3DBD has FULL HD rez per eye, whereas other forms have 1/2 (or sometimes even less).

    Scott
    "When will the rhetorical questions end?!" - George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member yoda313's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: The Animus
    Search Comp PM
    Follow cornucopia's information. He is much more fluent in 3d speak than I am.

    However:

    Originally Posted by shilar
    I just wondered if there was a way yet to record 3D Blu-Ray.
    It is my understanding that 3d blurays are supposed to be 2d compatible. - cornucopia does mention this. However this would mean a bluray 3d disc would be playable as 2d for the time being without your new 3dtv set.

    Also you say "record". Do you mean "backup" or "convert"? What do you want to do with it?

    You would still need anydvdhd or dvdfabdecrypter to rip the disc. There are ssif files that contain the 3d movie in it. I have only begun to read up on the hows and whys of 3d bluray so I am slowly acclimating to the 3d world of 3d bluray (but have no plans on getting a 3d set in the near future).

    You would be able to backup to a bdr disc just the same after ripping. If you want to convert to mkv or something for a wdtv media player or the like I'm not sure on the proper way to do that. I'm guessing it may be a lot simpler with a real 3dtv doing the hardwork of just playing the 3d. Then you could conceivably do something like rip it to your harddrive and use makemkv to spit out a mkv with the self contained movie only in 3d. That is purely conjecture on my part. I'm not sure what your ultimate goals are when you say "record 3d bluray".
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2001
    Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Follow cornucopia's information. He is much more fluent in 3d speak than I am.

    However:

    Originally Posted by shilar
    I just wondered if there was a way yet to record 3D Blu-Ray.
    It is my understanding that 3d blurays are supposed to be 2d compatible. - cornucopia does mention this. However this would mean a bluray 3d disc would be playable as 2d for the time being without your new 3dtv set.

    Also you say "record". Do you mean "backup" or "convert"? What do you want to do with it?

    You would still need anydvdhd or dvdfabdecrypter to rip the disc. There are ssif files that contain the 3d movie in it. I have only begun to read up on the hows and whys of 3d bluray so I am slowly acclimating to the 3d world of 3d bluray (but have no plans on getting a 3d set in the near future).

    You would be able to backup to a bdr disc just the same after ripping. If you want to convert to mkv or something for a wdtv media player or the like I'm not sure on the proper way to do that. I'm guessing it may be a lot simpler with a real 3dtv doing the hardwork of just playing the 3d. Then you could conceivably do something like rip it to your harddrive and use makemkv to spit out a mkv with the self contained movie only in 3d. That is purely conjecture on my part. I'm not sure what your ultimate goals are when you say "record 3d bluray".
    Yes, they ARE 2D compatible. Put them in your 2D player, or send through to a 2D TV, and it's NORMAL 2D, with no one the wiser.

    Read a past post or 2 of mine explaining SSIF files on 3DBD...

    All the rest of what you said is pretty much on the mark.

    Scott
    "When will the rhetorical questions end?!" - George Carlin
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads