VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello
    How can I convert multiple images to one YUV 4:2:0 file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    avs2yuv ???
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear El Heggunte

How does avs2yuv work?

I typed this:
    avs2yuv im2.jpg -raw im.yuv
    and received this error:
    infile (im2.jpg) doesn't look like an avisynth script

Can you help me, please?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think it requires avisynth

Did you want to string together multiple images into 1 video ? What type of YUV video ? 4:2:0? Jpeg is usually RGB

You can use ImageSource() in avisynth and ffmpeg to encode

e.g.

ImageSource("file%03d.jpg", 0,1000, fps=29.97)
    ConvertToYV12()

This uses sprintif syntax, so the input files are sequentially numbered like file000.jpg, file001.jpg etc.... of course adjust it to match whatever you have. "03d" is the number of placeholders. So file00001.jpg would use file%05d.jpg

IN ffmpeg

ffmpeg -i input.avs -pix_fmt yuv420p output.yuv

If you wanted other YUV types, you can specify that in the avisynth script and ffmpeg output

The RGB=>YUV conversion matrix is Rec.601 by default. You can specify another matrix in the avs script

You should be able to do with ffmpeg directly too, but you have less control over other parameters (like matrix conversion)

ffmpeg -i %03d.jpg -pix_fmt yuv420p -r 29.97 output.yuv
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear poisondeathray
    I cannot understand.
    It is complex.
    I am beginner.
    Is there any simpler solution?
    I worked with any2yuv but it can only convert grayscal images.
    I worked with ImageMagick but it cannot convert colors truly.
    In C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5> I typed: ImageSource("im2.jpg",2,2,fps=29.97) but
    I received this error: ImageSource is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    What should I do now?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are you sure you need YUV ? as in raw ? or will uncompressed YV12 do ? because simplier solution would be use vdub to string together images and export uncompressed YV12

Avisynth needs too be installed. Read the instructions here
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page#New_to_AviSynth_-_start_here

You write a script in notepad, and change the extension from .txt to .avs. Or you can use a script editor like avspmod

ImageSource("im2.jpg",2,2,fps=29.97)
    Your current script only converts 1 image (not a bunch of images)

If you want only 1 picture, then simplify it to ImageSource("im2.jpg",fps=29.97) . This "video" will last 1 frame only. (1/30th of a second long)

You seem to understand the commandline, so try using ffmpeg directly (without avisynth)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear poisondeathray

Thank you for your response

I converted one image using this command:
    C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.6.9-Q16>ffmpeg -i zzim2.jpg -pix_fmt yuv420p zzim
    2.yuv
    FFmpeg version SVN-r23418, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
    built on Jun 2 2010 04:12:01 with gcc 4.4.2
    configuration: --target-os=mingw32 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-avisynt
    h --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libfaad
    --enable-pthreads --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libspeex --ena
    ble-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libxvid --enable-libschroedinger --
    enable-libx264 --extra-libs='-lx264 -lpthread' --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enab
    le-libopencore_amrnb --enable-librtmp --extra-libs='-lrtmp -lssl -lcrypto -lws2_
    32 -lgdi32 -lwinmm -lcrypt32 -lz' --arch=x86 --cross-prefix=i686-mingw32- --cc='
    ccache i686-mingw32-gcc' --enable-memalign-hack
    libavutil 50.16. 0 / 50.16. 0
    libavcodec 52.72. 1 / 52.72. 1
    libavformat 52.67. 0 / 52.67. 0
    libavdevice 52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
    libavfilter 1.20. 0 / 1.20. 0
    libswscale 0.11. 0 / 0.11. 0
    Input #0, image2, from 'zzim2.jpg':
    Duration: 00:00:00.04, start: 0.000000, bitrate: N/A
    Stream #0.0: Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p, 450x375 [PAR 72:72 DAR 6:5], 25 tbr, 25
    tbn, 25 tbc
    [ffmpeg_output @ 03429480]auto-inserting filter 'auto-inserted scaler 0' between
    the filter 'src' and the filter 'out'
    [scale @ 034296d0]w:450 h:375 fmt:yuvj420p -> w:450 h:375 fmt:yuv420p flags:0x4
    Output #0, rawvideo, to 'zzim2.yuv':
    Metadata:
    encoder : Lavf52.67.0
    Stream #0.0: Video: rawvideo, yuv420p, 450x375 [PAR 1:1 DAR 6:5], q=2-31, 20
    0 kb/s, 90k tbn, 25 tbc
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
    Press [q] to stop encoding
    frame= 1 fps= 0 q=0.0 Lsize= 247kB time=0.04 bitrate=50670.0kbits/s
    video:247kB audio:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000000%
    C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.6.9-Q16>

But it wasn't converted truly and the colors are wrong.

Is it possible to do it yourself for me?
    Quote Quote  
  8. sure I can do it; upload it here

but your original post says multiple images, not just 1 ?

but you haven't answered the questions:
    1) what kind of yuv file? 420? 422?
    2) how do you want the RGB=>YUV conversion done? ITU Rec601? Rec709? Full range? limited range? etc...

and how are you determining that hte "colors are wrong"? How are you viewing YUV ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear poisondeathray

Thank you very much for your kindly help

I want to convert two PNG files to one YUV 4:2:0 file.

I don't understand your second question.
    I only know that my YUV files must like these files:
    ftp://hvc:US88Hula@ftp.tnt.uni-hannover.de/testsequences

I view YUV files using YUV Player Deluxe.

I cannot upload the images.

May I have your email?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I tested it and the ffmpeg alone method works with several YUV viewers, including elecard yuv viewer, avisynth's rawsource - if the color is "off" , I think it's a viewer setting problem or you haven't set the dimensions correct (when viewing raw data this is important)

when viewing you have to view as "IYUV" or "i420" - the arrangement of the chroma planes is different

don't worry about the 2nd question, when using SD material, you can usually assume Rec.601

I'll PM you my email

EDIT: I tested with YUV player deluxe and it works fine as well., I think you have it set up incorrectly for the wrong image size
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 2nd Apr 2011 at 17:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your problem might have something to do with the png dimensions. theres nothing wrong with the dimension when they are png, *but* if you want to convert to yuv then you have to follow certain rules, i.e. width / 4, and height / 2

simple way to check for even-ness is to divide width and height, if you get a decimal then you dimensions are off and you will probably have decoded color problems.

so in this case, make sure that the png images are evenly divisable as above and when you convert to yuv through

ffmpeg -i "g:\yuv.%03d.png" -pix_fmt yuv420p -r 29.970 -y "g:\output.yuv"

all will be well..

..where yuv.%03d.png as in yuv.001.png, yuv.002.png, ...

..and where -pix_fmt is the yuv color sampling format for the raw yuv image,

..and ffmpeg will pad the necessary yuv header in the raw .yuv source.

next, when you play the .yuv source it should be consistant with the frame rate you used in the ffmpeg command line param setting, i.e., -r 29.970 (frame rate) in this case.

download YUVPlayer.exe here: http://www.yuvplayer.com/

i'm not sure if this is in the tools section, but you can download a yuvplayer from the above link. it is very user-friendly configurable, i.e., i use a 360x172 test .png file and after following the same setup (mentioned above) and i set the player to this dimension, it played my source correctly. 360/4=90, and 172/2=86, (not 360/172) and no decimal error there.

note, i used FFmpeg version SVN-r24489 in this example.
    Last edited by vhelp; 2nd Apr 2011 at 18:17.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    ImageSource("im2.jpg",2,2,fps=29.97)
    Your current script only converts 1 image (not a bunch of images)
    If you want only 1 picture, then simplify it to ImageSource("im2.jpg",fps=29.97) . This "video" will last 1 frame only. (1/30th of a second long)
    Not so, the default for ImageSource is to produce 1001 frames (start=0, end=1000).
    (In this case, of course, they would all be identical.)
    The original script does give a 1-frame result - perhaps by accident, as normally one would use
    ImageSource("im2.jpg", end=0 ,fps=29.97)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear vhelp

My image size is 450 x 375

What should I do?

Is it necessary to change the size?
    Quote Quote  
  14. dear mma238 - please explain what is purpose of such YUV vile -why You need convert series of JPEG's to YUV - it is for encoding? making some special sequence or something else?

We need to know this to select (help You) proper tools and methodology for You.

My favorite way for such tasks is to use FFMPEG + AVISYNTH
    Quote Quote  
  15. VirtualDub can open a sequentially numbered series of PNG files (File -> Open Video File -> select first image). Then save with a codec that uses YUV 4:2:0, aka YV12. Like Xvid, Lagarith, etc. Or you can force output to YV12 (video -> Color Depth -> Output -> 4:2:0/YV12) and save uncompressed.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear pandy

I want such YUV file for encoding.

I used any2yuv, ImageMagick and FFMPEG but they cannot do it for me.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear jagabo

VirtualDub hasn't GUI.

What should I type in commandline?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mma238 View Post
    VirtualDub hasn't GUI.
    Yes, it does - just run VirtualDub.exe.
    You probably ran the other program vdub.exe instead, which has a command line interface.
    Quote Quote  
  19. vhelp is correct - it doesn't comply to mod2 restrictions. When cropped 1 bottom pixel to 450x374 , the image works fine

@gavino - my mistake about imagesource , thanks for correction
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My image size is 450 x 375
    decoding that dimension will usually give you incorrect color, but that will depend on the tool is doing the decoding. although i don't know of any off hand, there may be some *smart* tools with decoders that compensate this error by subtracting or adding pixels through cropping off or padding some of the width and/or height.

also, make sure that all images are of the same dimensions--they must be!

just pad your png images' width/height to 452 x 376, and you can check the math on that, W 452/4=113 and H 376/2=188 and yuv should decode with proper color.

just pad your png images' width/height to 452 x 376, and you can check the math on that, W 452/4=113 and H 376/2=188 and yuv should decode with proper color. (the mod4 rule is for the width and mod2 for the height, what PDR mentioned earlier)

now, if you only have a couple of images, the quickest way to pad is to open in ms paint (windows xp) and pad a few extra pixels to the image W and H. there are other tools that can probably do this faster and/or easier, but ms paint is free quick for a couple of images.

how to: pad extra pixels
    1. open ms paint, and load an image
    2. move mouse to menu bar and select Image, then Attributes, then change W: 450 to 452 and H: 375 to 376
    3. click [OK]
    4. save back to png (open drop-down to select png) or else paint will deault to bmp
    5. repeat for as many images
    6. done

the above is a quicky solution. but the only thing weary about this is the odd pixel colors you will see on the bottom and far right-side because these will be black pixels. so, you may want to crop off pixels instead.

how to: crop off pixels
    1. open ms paint, and load an image
    2. move mouse to menu bar and select Image, then Attributes, then change W: 450 to 448 and H: 375 to 374
    3. click [OK]
    4. save back to png (open drop-down to select png) or else paint will deault to bmp
    5. repeat for as many images
    6. done

quick math check: W 448/4=112, and H 374/2=187, all even numbers.

in these cases you have to plan your image dimension first so you can decide how much actual data (detail) you want to see in the image sequence for yuv play or else consider adding borders if necessary. but as long as you remember the math check rule you can pretty much figure out how much image you want in a given dimension and not have to worry about cropping and padding and what-not.
    Last edited by vhelp; 3rd Apr 2011 at 09:03.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear all

The problem was solved.
    The dimensions must be even as vhelp said.

Thanks to anyone replied

Special thanks to vhelp and poisondeathray
    Quote Quote