VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I have looked up this post:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/330508-3D-Playback?p=2061012&viewfull=1#post2061012

This is from Jagabo.

I have a captured clip in h264 in m2ts. It is a left/right sbs 3d video of a video game trailer. It is just about 1 minute long. It is 1280x720.

I do not have a 3dtv. I have a 60hz hdtv. I want to convert this to a useable 3d format that I can use cheapo 3d glasses. I realize this won't be the modern 3d that you see in the stores or at the movie theater. I just want to do this as a proof of concept test for me personally.

----------------------------------

There is an avisynth script that Jagabo posts in the thread above for creating an analglyph file:

DirectShowSource("Loony Tunes Fur of Flying 3D Half-SBS.mkv")
    ConvertToRGB()

left=Crop(0,0,960,-0)
    right=Crop(960,0,960,-0)

r=ShowRed(left)
    g=ShowGreen(right)
    b=ShowBlue(right)

MergeRGB(r,g,b)

BilinearResize(960,540)

---------------------------------------------------

That is from the original post fyi.

What program would I use to convert the h264 m2ts file? What comes out of this script? What can it be saved as? Will this be like the old jaws 3d type stuff? Thats kind of what I want. I don't have the cheapo glasses yet. I was gonna check out blockbuster or bestbuy and see if they have a 3 pack for like a buck or something.

----------------------------------------------------

Do I use virtualdub for this? What program should I input this script?

----------------------------------------------------

Also If I were to do this more frequently can I put this 3d anaglyph file and author a avchd? Or can it stay as h264 and play it back on my wdtv media player gen 1 model?

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance from 3d newbie.

edit - fyi the video file is a single file. The image is, for lack of a better term, hardcoded sbs. I don't know if that makes sense but it is locked together it is not fancy or anything. You just see the same image on the left and right (well what I assume to be the same image, it might be offset in terms of timing, since I really don't understand 3d to me the left and right images look identical).

edit 2 -

Ok I don't know what the hell I'm doing with avisynth but I thought I'd try it anyway. I loaded the file with directshowsource in virtualdubmod. I copied and pasted the above script into script editor. I then clicked run script and got a "PARSE ERORR" message. (the window box that pops up says sylia script error in the header of the parse error message window)

What do I need to change? I obviously left out the original path of the directshow file path and left my file path in the script but otherwise I left it intact.
    Last edited by yoda313; 1st Apr 2011 at 12:08.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. As with any AviSynth script, uncompressed video frames comes out of it. In this case, uncompressed RGB. You can use VirtualDub or feed it directly to x264, for example (x264 may require ConvertToYV12() at the end). You will have to adjust the Crop() commands if your source isn't 1920x1080. Try this:

left=Crop(0,0,width/2,-0)
    right=Crop(width/2,0,width/2,-0)

You'll probably want to change the final resize too. Whatever is appropriate for your source.

I don't know what's going wrong with your script. Comment out everything (put a # sign at the start of every line except DirectShowSource()) and make sure you can open the source video.

DirectShowSource("SBS.mkv")
    #ConvertToRGB()

#left=Crop(0,0,width/2,-0)
    #right=Crop(width/2,0,width/2,-0)

#r=ShowRed(left)
    #g=ShowGreen(right)
    #b=ShowBlue(right)

#MergeRGB(r,g,b)

#BilinearResize(960,540)
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Apr 2011 at 12:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great. Thanks jagabo.

I replaced the left right crop info but i still got a parse error.

How would I change the resize line at the bottom for a 1280x720 file?

BilinearResize(960,540)

I appreciate the help.

edit - never mind I see its just cut in half. I'll try that.

edit 2 - Ok I changed the bilinear resize but still am getting the parse error message:

DirectShowSource("E:\high def captures\****3d clip.M2TS")
    ConvertToRGB()

r=ShowRed(left)
    g=ShowGreen(right)
    b=ShowBlue(right)

MergeRGB(r,g,b)

BilinearResize(640,360)

What else would need to be changed for a 720p clip? Thanks.

Edit - I'm using virtualdubmod 1.5.10.2 build 2542 fyi and all I am doing after the script is clicking file, run script, and selecting the script file. I'm not doing anything else and thats when I get a parse error. I can provide more detail if you need.

And I can open the original file with directshowsource fyi.

I tried opening an edited version of what I just posted in virtualdubmpeg2 and I received this more detailed parse error message:
    asynther parse error.jpg

Perhaps this gives more information on what I'm doing wrong?
    3dscript crop.jpg
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3dscript crop.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	6260  

Click image for larger version

Name:	asynther parse error.jpg
Views:	1875
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	6261  

Last edited by yoda313; 1st Apr 2011 at 12:50.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did you install AviSynth? Don't comment out the DirectShowSource() line.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Did you install AviSynth? Don't comment out the DirectShowSource() line.
    Yes. I have 2.5 installed. I have since corrected that error.

I am very close to getting this to work. I have had vdub crash a few times now. It doesn't do the parse error message now but it simply crashes. I would like to think that is progress.

I think I just have to keep tweaking this somehow.

I have copied the original file to another directory and redid the script with that opening avs line. That is when I was getting past the parse error but vdub crashes.

Perhaps the file is corrupted somehow? I think I will reacquire this file and start over with a fresh file with the same dimensions. That might help.

Thanks for the walkthrough jagabo.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try using VirtualDubMod. I have problems with VirtualDub and AviSynth scripts now and then -- VirtualDub crashes for no apparent reason.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try using VirtualDubMod. I have problems with VirtualDub and AviSynth scripts now and then -- VirtualDub crashes for no apparent reason.
    Thanks. That is what I have been using - the same version thats listed in the tools section.

I've been at it for over an hour now. I think I'm gonna walk away for a little while.

I did reacquire a new test sample with the same specifications. I am still getting the crash so I know its not the original file this time.

Is there something else besides virtualdub I could try this on?

Thanks again for the help. Perhaps a break will bring new inspiration. I feel I'm feel very close to this but I could be 180 degrees off here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Try VirtualDubMod first as jagabo suggests. Then worry about what I say next.

Which AviSynth are you using? I'm using the 64 bit build of 2.5.8. Some have reported problems with 2.5.8, even the 32 bit one. Falling back to 2.5.7 might help. However, I don't do complicated things with AviSynth and 2.5.8 has worked flawlessly for me.

Installing Media Player Classic can be helpful because it can open .avs files and if your video won't even start when you open your AVS file, something is wrong. Sometimes the error messages MPC gives are helpful in fixing problems in scripts.
    Last edited by jman98; 1st Apr 2011 at 14:06.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Some other things to try:

1) Be sure you are using a plain text editor like Notepad. If you use Wordpad be sure to save as: "Text Document - MS-DOS Format", or "Text Document".

2) Make a script that just has the command Version(). Open that in VirtualDub/Mod. You should get a gray window with the AviSynth version number printed in it.

3) Are you running 64 bit Windows? If so, you need to use both 64 bit AviSynth and 64 bit VirtualDub, or both 32 bit AviSynth and 32 bit VirtualDub. You can't mix 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

4) Assuming #2 works, make a simple uncompressed RGB AVI file and try opening it with AviSource("filename.avi").
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Apr 2011 at 14:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jman98 - I can open the original file with directshowsource in virtualdubmod without any issues. Also I have avisynth 2.5 installed and I'm running windows vista 32bit. Should I upgrade to a different version of avisynth?

@jagabo:

Originally Posted by jagabo
    Be sure you are using a plain text editor like Notepad. If you use Wordpad be sure to save as: "Text Document - MS-DOS Format", or "Text Document".
    Ok I'm now using notepad and saving as a .avs file. Before I was using the script editor in virtualdubmod. Was that incorrect?

Make a script that just has the command Version(). Open that in VirtualDub/Mod. You should get a gray window with the AviSynth version number printed in it.
    I did that once with the # and got a parse error. I did it without the # sign and got "variable not found" error message.

Am I being cursed here or something?

Here is the one I get the variable not found message on:
    versioncap.jpg

Thanks jman98 and jagabo. I think I'm this close to getting it working. Almost there....

edit
    SUCCESS ON THE VERSION SCRIPT!:

avisynthsuccess.jpg

Stupid newbie issue there. I had tried doing the RUN SCRIPT instead of opening the .avs file. Once I opened the .avs file that popped up. I had reinstalled avisynth but it looks like it was what I had before.

Well I think I'm closer now....
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	versioncap.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	6263  

Name:	avisynthsuccess.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	6264  

Last edited by yoda313; 1st Apr 2011 at 15:19.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, that tells you AviSynth is working and feeding frames to VirtaulDub. Now try using the DirectShowSource() command instead to open your video. The script editor in VirtualDubMod should work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that tells you AviSynth is working and feeding frames to VirtaulDub. Now try using the DirectShowSource() command instead to open your video. The script editor in VirtualDubMod should work.
    Ok I think I'm getting confused here. I can open the file without a problem in virtualdub using directshowsource.

What I have been trying to do to process the video is go to file-run script and open the .avs file with the script you modified for me above. That is when I'm getting the error messages or a virtualdub crash.

Do I open this avs script to process the conversion to analglyph or do I do the run script feature? I think I'm messing up some basic terminology here in the avisynth world.

Thanks for guiding an avisynth newb.

edit =

4) Assuming #2 works, make a simple uncompressed RGB AVI file and try opening it with AviSource("filename.avi").
    Yes this does work also. I made an rgb file from my test clip. I got a 9gb avi file and I was able to open it with the avisource choice instead of directshowsource.

Would I use that rgb file instead of the original file now?
    Last edited by yoda313; 1st Apr 2011 at 15:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In Vdub, you just open the *.avs file AS IF it were a piece of video (which in a sense it is, as it's being frameserved via AVISynth).

Start with just the Directshowsource (yourclip) in the *.avs file. Open the *.avs in Vdub/Vdubmod. If this works, go back to the AVS script and add each line, each time re-opening in Vdub. Once you've got all the lines in there with no errors, you're ready to export/Save an AVI from Vdub. Settings depend on what you want to keep in your video library.

Of course, you could just skip all this and pay for a copy of Stereoscopic Player which does all this on the fly, converting it to whatever output you want (it's got like 30 variations of output type)...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    What I have been trying to do to process the video is go to file-run script
    No. That is for running VirtualDub scripts, not AviSynth scripts. As far as VirtualDub is concerned an AviSynth script is a video file. Open it with File -> Open Video File. If you've done that and you see the video in VirtualDub's input/output panes you have sucessfully opened the AviSynth script. From there on out it's just as if you've opened a video file directly. Ie, apply any filters you want in VirtualDub, select compression codecs, and File -> Save As AVI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornucopia
    Once you've got all the lines in there with no errors, you're ready to export/Save an AVI from Vdub. Settings depend on what you want to keep in your video library.
    Ok I think that is what I have been misunderstanding so far.

No. That is for running VirtualDub scripts, not AviSynth scripts. As far as VirtualDub is concerned an AviSynth script is a video file. Open it with File -> Open Video File. If you've done that and you see the video in VirtualDub's input/output panes you have sucessfully opened the AviSynth script. From there on out it's just as if you've opened a video file directly. Ie, apply any filters you want in VirtualDub, select compression codecs, and File -> Save As AVI.
    Ok now I'm following you. I opened it as a video file and the video displayed in the previewed window. I then went to save as and selected xvid for an output. It is now in the middle of processing the file.

I will report back on what I get.

Of course, you could just skip all this and pay for a copy of Stereoscopic Player which does all this on the fly, converting it to whatever output you want (it's got like 30 variations of output type)...
    Does it play sbs in analglpyh without conversion? Or is it just a converter? If its just a converter I could stick with virtualdub once I get the process nailed down. If it plays sbs in analglyph in realtime than I might be more interested.

Thanks to everyone who's posted especially jagabo. I'll let you know how my test sample comes out.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The clues to yoda313's script problem were actually clear from the start:
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    I then clicked run script and got a "PARSE ERORR" message. (the window box that pops up says sylia script error in the header of the parse error message window)
    As well as the mistaken use of 'run script', note that sylia is VirtualDub's script processor - and Avisynth error messages don't look like that.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Gavino View Post
    The clues to yoda313's script problem were actually clear from the start:
    I just thought it would be fun to drag it out.
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Apr 2011 at 21:25.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't mean to sound critical, just that it was all there in that first post.
    If I had read the thread sooner, I would have stopped you all having fun on a wild goose chase, following a red herring (or is it a pink elephant? - anyway, enough animal metaphors for today).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok now that you've all had your fun I am still looking to get results.

I got a working output file from it now that I got the procedure correct. However it looks just like the input video. The output is still side by side with nothing overlapping to give a 3dish image.

I will keep fooling with this now that I know the proper way to work this stuff.

-------------------

Regarding the stereoscopic player that cornucopia mentioned. I downloaded the trial and was impressed. That was exactly what I'm trying to get. It even had a parallax adjustment to increase or decrease the seperation of the planes of the video to give a 3d effect. I still haven't picked up the cheapey flimsy red/blue glasses yet but the stereoscopic player did what I was expecting the script to do.

Though at 40.00 euro I'm not sure I want to invest in it just yet - not sure on what the USD conversion on that is at the moment - obviously more than that but not sure by how much.....

I'll keep plugging away.

I do appreciate the help - no matter the intent behind it
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Ok now that you've all had your fun I am still looking to get results.

I got a working output file from it now that I got the procedure correct. However it looks just like the input video. The output is still side by side with nothing overlapping to give a 3dish image.
    Did you re-enable all the script commands (ie, remove all the # signs)? What you see in the input window should be the anaglyph video. A # sign in an AviSynth script disables everything to the right of the # sign. If you put a # sign at the start of the line you are eliminating that line entirely.

So this:

#ConvertToRGB()
    #left=Crop(0,0,width/2,-0)
    #right=Crop(width/2,0,width/2,-0)
    #r=ShowRed(left)
    #g=ShowGreen(right)
    #b=ShowBlue(right)
    #MergeRGB(r,g,b)
    #BilinearResize(960,540)
    is effectively the same as this:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you re-enable all the script commands (ie, remove all the # signs)? What you see in the input window should be the anaglyph video. A # sign in an AviSynth script disables everything to the right of the # sign. If you put a # sign at the start of the line you are eliminating that line entirely.
    I had not.

I have taken them out and reprocessed the file.

I do now have a combined file of the sbs. Thanks.

It is interesting to note however that at least on first inspection with the naked eye it appears to be a standard frame now. Unlike the stereoscopic player the image seems to be perfectly blended. Without glasses it looks nearly pristine, no ghosting artifacts that you would associate with 3d when viewing 3d without glasses that is.

Is there a parallax adjustment to be made inside this script?

Or is this something that won't be an issue when I do pick up the standard basic red/blue glasses?

Thanks for helping to iron this process out. I guess I"m there but I won't know until I pick up the glasses.
    Quote Quote  
  22. There should be obvious areas where the left and right images don't line up:

Name:	color3d.jpg
Views:	2332
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	6278

You can adjust the parallax by shifting the images left or right with Crop().
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There should be obvious areas where the left and right images don't line up:
    Ok I do not get that result.

What range does it go to? I see in the crop line it only shows 2 and 0. How high does it go? What is the minimum and maximum value you can use? I don't think I want to go too extreme but there doesn't seem to be any deviation from a nicely blended image when using the values you had posted.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    There should be obvious areas where the left and right images don't line up:
    Ok I do not get that result.
    Then something is wrong with the source or the script.

What range does it go to? I see in the crop line it only shows 2 and 0. How high does it go? What is the minimum and maximum value you can use? I don't think I want to go too extreme but there doesn't seem to be any deviation from a nicely blended image when using the values you had posted.[/QUOTE]
    I would do the parallax shift as a separate Crop.

ConvertToRGB()

# extract left and right views as separate videos

# adjust parallax by 16 pixels
    left = Crop(left, 0,0,-16,-0) # shift the left image to the right by 16 pixels
    right = Crop(right, 16,0,-0,-0) # shift the right image to the left by 16 pixels

# merge color channels to make an anaglyph image
    r=ShowRed(left)
    g=ShowGreen(right)
    b=ShowBlue(right)
    MergeRGB(r,g,b)
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Apr 2011 at 21:06. Reason: fixed a typo in the script
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

I'll test this out and let you know.

Edit -

Great that did the trick! It is now similar to that picture you had posted with the minor offset.

I'll try to pick up the glasses today.

I realize this won't be the high end movie quality 3d experience that is now available. But I wanted to see what the old style would look like.

Also I'll try to do the 264 plug in information you mentioned earlier in this thread. I'd love to have better compression than uncompressed rgb. Several gigabytes for 1 minute of video is not practical to say the least. I don't think I'll do it now but I will also do an xvid or divx test with the corrected script to see how it works in the compressed form - whether or not theres too much quality loss on a compression or whether or not to use divx hd vs plain old x264 - probably stick with x264 for my wdtv if I do this very often.
    Last edited by yoda313; 2nd Apr 2011 at 09:39.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Attached is a ZIP file with s small SBS AVI (xvid) and AVS script to make a 3d anaglyph from it. In this example I pushed the image farther away by shifting the left image left and the right image right.

There was a typo in my last script, a missing comma after "right = Crop(right".
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There was a typo in my last script, a missing comma after "right = Crop(right".
    Don't forget that you can go back and edit your post and fix that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jagabo. I'll check that out later. I had hunted down the comma error when virtualdub gave me the line that was incorrect.

-----------------------

Well I went to a couple of stores for 3d glasses and all I got were trio-scopic red and green glasses from blockbuster for like 50 cents. I've tried em and they SORTA work. It makes it 3dish but the color is definitely off and there isn't the proper blending. It looks like it has more depth than without any glasses but the color is definitely off.

These are the glasses for my bloody valentine and for the newest ice age movie on 3d-dvd.

Is there a correction to be made for trio-scopics? I'm still gonna look for blue and red glasses. As a last resort I'll find some place online to order them. I just don't want to buy a whole movie just for the glasses. I can't remember which animated movie it was but it had a four pack of the blue and red but thats a lot to waste on a movie when I just want the glasses to play with.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Edit - i just went on youtube and found some red/green movie trailers and I was pretty impressed even with this older technology. There was a foreign version of avatar done in 3d for red/green glasses and I was surprised. It had that 3d feeling I've had when I've been in the theater (well I've only seen ice age 3 in 3d for the "newest" versions of 3d). But the trailer had that depth.

The only disappointing thing about this is it seems to wash out the colors a lot. After being used to hd and bluray and upconverted dvds losing that rich color is a bit unsettling but the 3d is cool. I might try renting a 3d dvd just to see how it is.

The problem with trailers of course is they cut so fast from scene to scene its hard to adjust to the 3d element and sometimes its a bit jarring.
    Last edited by yoda313; 2nd Apr 2011 at 14:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Surprisingly, in my area it isn't that easy to find anaglyph glasses of any kind (without buying them bundled with something else).

I'd either suggest online (like the site that advertises for "anachrome" or one of those other supply houses), or you can make them yourself if you can find the right gels (photo supply store, crafts store).

*Note: You probably really want to get Red + Cyan. They are color compliments, like Green + Magenta or Yellow + Blue. When they completely overlap (disparity=0, at screen plane), the output is true White (or whatever the naturally encoded color was meant to be). Not so with Red+Blue or Red+Green, etc.

Yes, Stereoscopic player does do realtime conversion/playback of Sbs to anaglyph (as well as many other types in and out).

I am concerned that your source seemed to not have any disparity natively. If that were actually true, it wouldn't really be stereoscopic, and any amount of horizontal shift/crop/adjustment isn't going to change that. All that would do is shift the plane of the whole 2d picture nearer or farther from you.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @cornucopia - actually for the time being I'm shelving my self made project.

I am blown away by some of the quality of the 3d stuff on youtube.

Specifically Pangea The Neverending World. (a cg animated dinosaur short film)

If you have any of the anaglyph 3d glasses search that video on youtube and select 3d for the type of glasses you have. It is an amazing video about 7 minutes long. This has been fun doing movie trailers and the like in 3d. I do plan on trying to get the red and blue or the cyan you mention. I want to maximize this.

It's ashame this has the color drain to produce the 3d effect on a standard tv set. Its sort of still in color but at least the triscopic pair I'm using tends to really darken the video. But the 3d it produces at times can be mesmerizing.

Its weird for me at least personally this type of 3d gives me a bit of a headache when it switches the brightness level. Anytime it goes from a darkish scene to bright its blinding when I'm adjusting to the new light level.

What other types of 3d are there for non 3dtv platforms? I believe I saw some listed in a seperate thread.

Are there any that minimize the color saturation and preserve more of the color? That does make the bluray 3d on 3dtvs impressive. The store demo I saw the other month produces great 3d with no color loss. It stays sharp and colorful. This 3d for non 3dtvs is still pretty sharp in terms of 3d effects but the color drop is a little disappointing. If they have a "clear" anaglyph 3d format that would be very impressive if its like the other samples I've seen.

I'm definitely gonna rent a dvd or two and check it out assuming they fit the glasses I have.

How many bluray discs have anaglyph on them? I was at disneys faq page and they said a few of their blurays have anaglyph on them. That would be interesting on a true high def source - not the "high def" on youtube. Though some of that does look pretty good - just not bluray level obviously.

This has been fun doing any 3d without spending 800.00 or more on a new tv.

Yes, Stereoscopic player does do realtime conversion/playback of Sbs to anaglyph (as well as many other types in and out).
    While I still have my month trial does it really do any sd to 3d effects? What I've tried makes it really distorted. I don't know if I'm doing right on a normal non-sbs video or if its even possible with this player. YES I know this kind of trickery would be limited at best but this is fun playing around with it.

THanks for all the discussion.
    Quote Quote