VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    I have obtained a video file, which is an MP4 file. I wanted to convert it to AVI using Virtual Dub but, when I try to open this file VD reports " Unable to locate a video codec to decompress the video format 'avc1' (unknown)".

I have used MediaInfo to create a INFO.txt of this video file and I am attaching it.

Please help me learn how I should deal with this format if I needed to convert them.

Thanks & T.C.
    Bye!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try install the x264 vfw encoder/decoder, http://komisar.gin.by/old/1924/x264vfw.1924kMod.x86.exe

Or just convert to avi with avidemux, xmedia recode or winff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks " Baldrick " I have installed http://komisar.gin.by/old/1924/x264vfw.1924kMod.x86.exe. The first one did not run when I tried to install it. Is that one required or can I do without it?

Now when I load the video file on Virtual Dub, I'm not getting the massage anymore, but I cannot view or preview the file either. All I'm getting is a black screen. In fact two black screens. And if I try to convert the file to Xvid the VD crashes. I am attaching the crash report. I don't know much about these and I hope you would be able to retrieve the cause.

Thanks & T.C.

Bye!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think ffdshow has some support for AVC1 video, but you may have to enable it in the VfW video settings/codecs section. (I'm not at a system with ffdshow installed, so I apologize for being a little vague. )
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you DS INPUT plugin for Virtualdub??

Get it: http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/DShowInputDriver-0.8.zip

Place in plugins32 folder under VirtualDub program directory.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought I recalled reading (on this forum, at least) that the DirectShow input plugin is broken/not recommended, and that the Quicktime plugin is recommended for MP4s, instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    I thought I recalled reading (on this forum, at least) that the DirectShow input plugin is broken/not recommended, and that the Quicktime plugin is recommended for MP4s, instead.
    Always worked for me, never had problems with it.

Try, its a possible solution..

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm willing to admit I could be mistaken and thinking about the MP4 plugin, instead. I don't really use the input plugins - I'm just way too used to doing it the 'old way,' with AVISynth.

Ah, MvC2?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    I'm willing to admit I could be mistaken and thinking about the MP4 plugin, instead. I don't really use the input plugins - I'm just way too used to doing it the 'old way,' with AVISynth.

Ah, MvC2?

Avisynth is certainly more practice at these times.

My 2D games to Record tests are MVC2 and SFHDR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    First of all I'd like to thank everyone for the info.

Cauptain, I have downloaded the Direct show Input driver, but I couldn't find any file named Plugins32 in my VD's directory there's a Plugin folder where all my plugins are kept.
    After I had extracted the DirectShowInput Driver I found three items there :-

1. Folder Named "Release"
    2. Folder named "X64"
    3. Document named "Copying".

Now I assume that its the folder named "release" is what I need but where shall I put it.

Thanks again & T.C.
    Bye!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by s_joy09 View Post
    Hi!
    First of all I'd like to thank everyone for the info.

Cauptain, I have downloaded the Direct show Input driver, but I couldn't find any file named Plugins32 in my VD's directory there's a Plugin folder where all my plugins are kept.
    After I had extracted the DirectShowInput Driver I found three items there :-

1. Folder Named "Release"
    2. Folder named "X64"
    3. Document named "Copying".

Now I assume that its the folder named "release" is what I need but where shall I put it.

Thanks again & T.C.
    Bye!
    No problem Sir.

First of all download this plugin pack: Virtualdub Pack Extra Plugins

In VD diretory make a folder "plugins32" and extract the Pack above and your OS version plugin Directshouinput (32 or 64 bits).

Open VirtualDub and you'l be able to load all most common types of files (.wmv, .mpg or mpeg2, .flv, .mp4).

Try and reply.

Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 31st Mar 2011 at 07:24.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well sir, I have done as you had recomended, and now the file seems to load as it had after I had installed the " komisar's x264vfw.1924kMod ". With the same result, nothing is seen or heard on the VD's display but black screen.

What do you think I'll have to do to get picture and sound on the VD.

Thanks & T.C.
    Bye!
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I have obtained a video file, which is an MP4 file

With the same result, nothing is seen or heard on the VD's display but black screen.
    It appears the MP4 file was incorrectly muxed and/or encoded...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well sir, I have done as you had recomended, and now the file seems to load as it had after I had installed the " komisar's x264vfw.1924kMod ". With the same result, nothing is seen or heard on the VD's display but black screen.

What do you think I'll have to do to get picture and sound on the VD.

Thanks & T.C.
    Bye!

NP again

You can post a piece of video(10seconds) here? Use Avidemux to cut.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First of all I'd like to make it clear to all of you masters that I've never used Avidemux [ just because the saved file is not a video file and can only be played with Avidemux].

I need a lesson on using this program that so many say's to be very usefull, but for now after google' ing I was able to cut a clip from the video and that is what I'm up loading.

Here I should inform you all that while trying to load the video to cut a clip, Avidemix informed me that the video has used B frame ?! and it could use a certain method. At this point I ignored the suggestion first and Avidemux crashed. Later after accepting the suggestion I was able to cut the clip. Thou I don't know why there is no audio in the clip.!?

So here goes..

Thanks!

At first I wasn't able to upload the attachment as I didn't know the file format of Avidemux. Then I tried using .avs extension while saving the clip and that was my first uploaded attachment. The idea of using the .mp4 extension while saving the clip came after that.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by s_joy09; 31st Mar 2011 at 14:22. Reason: To change the attachment
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First of all I'd like to make it clear to all of you masters that I've never used Avidemux [ just because the saved file is not a video file and can only be played with Avidemux].

I need a lesson on using this program that so many say's to be very usefull, but for now after google' ing I was able to cut a clip from the video and that is what I'm up loading.

Here I should inform you all that while trying to load the video to cut a clip, Avidemix informed me that the video has used B frame ?! and it could use a certain method. At this point I ignored the suggestion first and Avidemux crashed. Later after accepting the suggestion I was able to cut the clip. Thou I don't know why there is no audio in the clip.!?

So here goes..

Thanks!

At first I wasn't able to upload the attachment as I didn't know the file format of Avidemux. Then I tried using .avs extension while saving the clip and that was my first uploaded attachment. The idea of using the .mp4 extension while saving the clip came after that.
    Strange...In Videolan I got normal video but no sound. In WMP I got slagged sound but no video. In VD I got nothing, plugin or AVS (audio + video). In MPC same to VD.

I will install CoreAVC to test, Back in minutes.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MediaInfo is showing this file as an AVI with AVC/AAC. Using Avidemux in copy mode, I can save to MP4 or MKV and the video plays but the audio is corrupt. Everything I've tried to demux the audio and video crashes. I was able to get the video with Yamb but nothing could read it and it did not see the audio at all. I was able to get the audio with GDSMUX but it was corrupt. It crashed while trying to get the video.

Goldwave shows the audio but nothing is there. Audacity can't open the file. Nero Wave Editor can't open the file. DBpoweramp crashes with a corrupt audio message.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CoreAVC + many players = No success.

Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 31st Mar 2011 at 15:49. Reason: You was posted the info...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had good luck with ffvideosource and ffaudiosource. Especially with the multi-threaded version of ffms2.dll.
    Simple to use in AVIsynth script.

If you want to force ac3 5.1 > stereo conversion on the fly use ffvideosource for video and directshowsource for audio.
    Set the mixer in FFDShow to 2/0/0 (regular stereo).

Simple script looks like this:

LoadPlugin("J:\ffmpegsource-2.15-mt\ffms2.dll")
    Audio = directshowsource("K:\k-temp\#other shows\Wonders of the Universe.mkv", video=no)
    Video = FFVideoSource("K:\k-temp\#other shows\Wonders of the Universe.mkv", track=-1, seekmode=0)
    Video = Video.ConvertToYV12

Video = Video.BicubicResize(656,368,b=0,c=0.5)
    AudioDub(Video, Audio)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Hello

I tried several of the plug-ins mentionned above to open an MP4 file (AVC1 + MP4A), but VirtualDub still says "MISSING CODEC (AVC1)".

Here's the first 20 seconds of the file.

VLC and ffplay.exe have no problem playing the whole file.

I'm no video expert and would appreciate any idea about what other plug-in to try and edit the video (mainly keeping only some parts of it). I prefer VirtualDub to AviDemux.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  21. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ yetanotherlogin, your sample.mp4 opens and plays fine under VirtualDub 1.9.11.

Using fccHandler's Quicktime plugin ++ komisar's VfW codec r2245.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vdsample-mp4.png
Views:	24651
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	20399  

Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also works with the ffmpeg input plugin.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ff1.JPG
Views:	1396
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	20401  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I concur, it works also with the ffmpeg plugin. Don't forget to select it in file open dialog as type. Also I am using the FFDshow VFW
    plugin for H264 AVC;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_34 Oct. 07 23.47.jpg
Views:	4843
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	20403
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the info. I'm confused about what plug-in I need to edit that video:

fccHandler's Quicktime plugin
    komisar's VfW codec r2245
    ffmpeg plugin
    FFDshow VFW plugin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My system uses ffdshow where I turn on avc1 codec in VFW (ThATS VFW codecs NOT video codecs) and in Virtualdub use the ffmpeg plugin (in virtualdub/plugins32 folder) .
    Select file open and select type drop down ffmpeg. It loads fine.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. I downloaded ffdshow, checked its VfW Configuration option and simply clicked on OK.

Is the VirtualDub plugin part of this set? http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Code:
    Directory of c:\ffmpeg-20131006-git-ee3d03b-win32-shared\bin

07/10/2013  00:07        15,624,704 avcodec-55.dll
    07/10/2013  00:07         1,180,160 avdevice-55.dll
    07/10/2013  00:07         1,928,192 avfilter-3.dll
    07/10/2013  00:07         5,104,640 avformat-55.dll
    07/10/2013  00:07           399,872 avutil-52.dll
    07/10/2013  00:07           293,376 ffmpeg.exe
    07/10/2013  00:07           463,360 ffplay.exe
    07/10/2013  00:07           136,192 ffprobe.exe
    07/10/2013  00:07           120,320 postproc-52.dll
    07/10/2013  00:07           270,848 swresample-0.dll
    07/10/2013  00:07           368,128 swscale-2.dll
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. I simply downloaded ffinputdriver-bin-0.7-32.zip into VD's \Plugins32 and the file opens.

What are fcchandler's files for? Neither MP4 nor AVC1 are mentioned in the list.
    Quote Quote  
  28. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yetanotherlogin View Post
    What are fcchandler's files for? Neither MP4 nor AVC1 are mentioned in the list.
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Using fccHandler's Quicktime plugin ++ komisar's VfW codec r2245.

yetanotherlogin
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    I still don't understand what all those files are and when they're needed, but it's OK now that MP4 file opens in VirtualDub just using FFInputDriver.vdplugin and its DLLs.

The left window is green when stopping the video, but it doesn't prevent me from slicing the video.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote