VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This should be easy, all I want to do is record the CC onto a dvd.
    I figured I'd use my standalone burner and just find a DVD player with CC.

Any recommendations?

Even a small TV with CC and "video out" would work, too.

I'm just not getting enough info by searching "Amazon", etc.

rrrr
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wtf are you talking about?
    This should be easy
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    wtf are you talking about?
    This should be easy
    Gee , that's helpful

I want to record the Closed Captions coming with the video I see from a DVD onto another DVD.
    Perhaps this is rocket science

Ron
    Quote Quote  
  4. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Psco2007 View Post

Thanks for the reply but I must clarify.

Do these players have CC decoders?
    I didn't see in it the specs.

I want to go from one of these players into my Panasonic DVD recorder.
    Will this work??????????
    Quote Quote  
  6. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    I thought you wanted to use your dvd recorder and THEN watch the dvd in a player that will show the cc?
    These two will do that.

Yes, they have cc decoders.
    I also connect with red/yellow and white, rather than hdmi.
    Last edited by Psco2007; 28th Mar 2011 at 21:17. Reason: more info
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Psco2007 View Post
    I thought you wanted to use your dvd recorder and THEN watch the dvd in a player that will show the cc?
    These two will do that.

Yes, they have cc decoders.
    I also connect with red/yellow and white, rather than hdmi.
    Ok great, we are getting closer.

I play a DVD from one of these players and turn on the CC.
    I SEE the CC on the screen. YES? (CC is NOT being decoded from the TV)
    I record the video from the player and then playback the DVD an I see recorded CC.
    I SEE the CC on a TV without a CC decoder (it always shows on the DVD-R I recorded).
    Quote Quote  
  8. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    I am getting confused.
    When I record a tv program on my Philips dvr 3506, and play it in that recorder, the cc does not show.
    I then put in into one of the dvd players I told you about . I then select "show cc" on the tv.

Isn't that what you are trying to accomplish?
    Quote Quote  
  9. HDMI/Component doesn't support CC's until you turn it on on the box you're playing your dvd from. That's what CC on is about.
    Composite supports CC's.

Otherwise CC's are automatically copied to the dvd when you copy it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From what I have seen, the "closed caption" setting on DVD players that have it doesn't enable or disable CC decoding by the player. It only controls whether or not the CCs are sent to the TV, and the TV is still responsible for decoding CCs.

At best, DVD players only seem to be able to translate the CC portion of the MPEG-2 user data into analog Line-21 CCs and place them in the VBI. In addition, Line-21 CCs will only be available when using interlaced output and an S-Video or composite connection. Progressive signals don't include the VBI, HDMI can't carry the VBI, and reportedly the VBI won't always be included when using interlaced video via component either.

Devices equipped with tuners of some kind are more likely to have the ability to decode CCs. I remember a thread at AVS forums in which someone claimed Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD recorder can decode closed captions and make them part of the picture, at least when using HDMI out. However, this may only be true for broadast digital CCs, not CCs on DVD, or only true for HDMI. I don't own a Panasonic DMR-EZ28K , but one of our members that does may be able to test if it can decode CCs from DVDs and display them as a visible part of the picture so the TV doesn't decode them when using SD analog connections.

If the Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD recorder doesn't do what you want, then I think you you may have to look re-authoring your DVDs to include forced subtitles made from CCs. CCExtractorGUI and a subtitling program would be used for creating the subtitles from CCs. I turn CCs from DTV programs recorded using my PC's TV card into subtitles when I want to put them on a DVD.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Mar 2011 at 11:36.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ahh this is the kind of expert advice I was looking for!
    Subtitles from CC, ok.
    I think I looked into CCExtractorGUI but it all seemed very confusing.

You'd think there would just be a TV out there with video out jacks!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rrrr View Post
    Subtitles from CC, ok.

Thanks
    CCExtractorGUI may be able to make a subtitle file from a group of related .VOBs copied to your HDD from a DVD, but I haven't tried it. Once I have a DVD copied to my HDD, I use VOB2MPG to join the related VOBs for each title in the VIDEO_TS folder into one .mpg file per title.

Next, I use CCExtractorGUI to copy the CCs from the .mpg files as .srt files. There is a brief guide for it here: http://ccextractor.sourceforge.net/ccextractor_for_windows.html I use the following settings for CCExtractorGUI. In the "Input options" tab, I use "Autodetect the correct format" for "Input type" and it seems to work just fine. When extracting CCs for more than one title at a time, I use "These are individual, unrelated files. Produce an output subtitle for each input file." for "Split Type". I use "Extract captions from field 1": for "Field" and "Extract captions from channel 1" for "Channel" since that is where English CC's are normally found. In the "Output" tab, I selected ".srt (SubRip)" and "Use the same name as the input file, replacing the extension with the correct one". In the Decoder tab, I use "Latin-1" as encoding, and I use "For roll-up captions, don't duplicate lines...." That seems to work best

DVD authoring programs often only allow .sup files for subtitles. I use Subtitle Workshop to make corrections to the CC text, and then I use Subtitle Creator for converting subtitles from .srt files to .sup files and adding symbols such as musical notes to the subtitles. If there are a lot of chnges to be made, Subtitle Workshop allows text editing via search and replace.

Within Subtitle Creator, the characters"<" and ">" are used to bracket escape sequences for special characters. Subtitle Creator does not like unmatched pairs of these characters in .srt files it imports, so if different speakers are indicated using ">>" or ">>>", it will cause an error message. There may also be escape sequences for specifying CC colors, and these can cause error messages too, but normally they are only present in the captioning credits. Remove the problem items before using Subtitle Creator for converting to .sup. Finally, CCExtractorGUI substitutes the paragraph symbol for special characters, such as musical notes. Subtitle Creator provides a selection of escape sequences for the special characters and you can go through and replace the paragraph symbols with something appropriate.

You might find this guide to be useful for adding your subtitles to an existing DVD. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD

I don't use forced subtitles myself, but I think one authoring program I use for my recordings, GUIForDVDAuthor has a setting for them. I'm not sure how you would add forced subtitles to an existing DVD. Also some commercial DVDs may already include forced subtitles for dialog that isn't in English, and you may need to figure out a way to merge those with your own CC subtitles.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Mar 2011 at 18:27.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks,
    Got it figured out with CCextractor and DVD Flick.

Burned the first disc, looks good!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by rrrr View Post
    Subtitles from CC, ok.

Thanks

My Telecaption II has some video out jacks. Converts CC's to open subtitles. It's a real old captioning box.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help.
    Now I need a DVD ripper for encoded discs that retain the CC.
    DVD FAB doesn't seem to work; is there a setting I should use?
    Please explain the concept of "forced subtitles".

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    All rippers will "support" closed captions. Closed captions are embedded in the GOP headers. There is NO ripper - repeat NO ripper - that will strip out the closed captions.

A "forced subtitle" is a subtitle caption that displays regardless of your subtitle viewing selection. They are usually used when a translation should be shown on the screen. Ie, one example I can think of is when Jabba the Hut is talking in Return of the Jedi.

A forced subtitle has nothing to do with a closed caption.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Forced subtitles are overlayed on the picture like ordinary subtitles but are always on, by default. Selectable subtitles can be turned on or off as desired.

How did you come to the conclusion that the CCs are gone?

CC's are stored in the MPEG-2 user data. Just ripping the disc shouldn't remove the CCs. You would need to shrink or otherwise re-encode the video to remove CCs.

CCExtractorGUI doesn't work on .VOB files. Use VOB2MPG to join all the related VOBs in the ripped movie and copy them into one .mpg. CCExtractorGUI should find the CCs in the .mpg file.

Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    A forced subtitle has nothing to do with a closed caption.
    I suggested the OP should turn the CCs into forced subtitles, since the OP can't find a DVD player or DVD recorder that can decode and overlay CCs on the video sent to a TV. A common complaint amongst those who routinely use CCs for everything is that component (mostly), HDMI, VGA, DVI, and progressive output all fail to provide CC data for the TV to decode. Since he seems to want captioning that is always on, I thought this would be preferable to re-encoding the video just to add hard subs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Apr 2011 at 14:38.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Forced Subs= Open captions

Some versions of Dvd Shrink would take your CC's off. But the newer ones are fine.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys.
    Having a hell of a time reassembling decoded VOB files with CC back to a DVD.
    Why are VOB flies only .99 gigs?
    Trying to put all the parts back together is a real headache.
    I need to decode a DVD and convert the CC into subtitles.
    So far DVD flick insists on stopping a 50 min. show everywhere a new VOB file begins.
    I need a recipe that works.
    Should I find a .VOB editor?
    A VOB file converted to .mp4 doesn't yield the CC

Need help
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys.
    Having a hell of a time reassembling decoded VOB files with CC back to a DVD.
    Why are VOB flies only .99 gigs?
    VOB files are ~1 GB or less because the DVD specification requires it. I'm sure there is a practical reason behind it, but I don't know the particulars.

Trying to put all the parts back together is a real headache.
    VOB2MPG was no help? It should automatically assemble the VOBs for a title into 1 .mpg (MPEG-2) without re-encoding or stripping the CCs.

I need to decode a DVD and convert the CC into subtitles.
    So far DVD flick insists on stopping a 50 min. show everywhere a new VOB file begins.
    I need a recipe that works.
    Should I find a .VOB editor?
    You should try DVD flick on the .mpg produced by VOB2MPG and see if that works better.

A VOB file converted to .mp4 doesn't yield the CC
    Need help
    Of course not. Re-encoding to MP4 erases CC's. Also, DVD and broadcast MPEG-2 has formal support for CC's, but practically no other digital format does.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th Apr 2011 at 22:48. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The zipped VOB2MPG file download would not open. "Invalid file" indicated.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Almost everything I record I convert the CC to subtitles and then author the DVD with both CC and Subtitles. I'm currently using a Philips DVD recorder. This is the process and Software I use.

1. Record program to DVD HDD and then to DVD-RW (I use the discs over and over again)
    2. I get the entire progam into the computer by using an old version of TMPGENC DVD Author
    (Version 1.5.15.49. Select "Create New Project", then "Add DVD Video"). You will end up with
    a single large MPEG2 file containing the Video, Audio and CC's if present.
    3. Then Edit this MPEG2 file with MPEG_VCR (remove commercials etc)
    4. Run this MPEG2 file in CC extractor GUI to get an SRT (text file of the CC's in the Video)
    5. Edit the SRT text file with Subtitle Workshop.
    6. Author the DVD with DVD Flick. For Half hour TV shows I collect 6 per DVD, one hour TV shows
    I put 3 per DVD with a selection menu. For Movies I do no use a DVD menu with DVD Flick.
    The Video that is on the DVD will still have the CC's and selectable subtitles. Be careful if you
    use a commercial DVD authoring program, all that I have seen strips the CC data from the
    MPEG2 video when a DVD is authored. DVD Flick is one of the few which does not!

Hope this helps
    Bob
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The zipped VOB2MPG file download would not open. "Invalid file" indicated.
    I just downloaded VOB2MPG (the free version not the Pro version) from the author's website, unzipped it, and re-installed it with no problems.

I tested with Windows 7's own unzip feature and 7-Zip. Neither utility had a problem unzipping the zipped download directory.
    Quote Quote