VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ripped a bunch episode DVDs to my hard drive thinking that because I was ripping straight from the dvd the quality would be pretty good. I used Cucsoft to convert to Xvid avi with the default bitrate of 2498. I am fairly new to encoding with CCE and other similar encoders and even newer to avisynth. I want to put 6 episodes to a disc, I realize that the quality is going to be reduced. But there is quite a bit of mosquito noise around the edges of everything or artifacts from compression, i'm not sure which. All attempts to clean up the video with avisynth have failed. Also the noise or artifacts are amplified after encoding to mpeg2. There has to be a better way all together. So back to the original question, what is the best way to rip the dvds to get a quality video to start with? then what is the best way to encode the video back to mpeg2?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MackSwagga View Post
    what is the best way to rip the dvds to get a quality video to start with? then what is the best way to encode the video back to mpeg2?
    First off....a DVD "rip" is an exact copy of the disc.....what you did is re-encode the original to the terribly inferior Xvid/Divx codec. The original quality is gone and gone for good.....and putting all 6 episodes back to a (single layer) disc will make it even worse than it already is.
    My advice...start over.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Slysoft CloneDVD Mobile ... is a very good program for ripping TV Episodes to a Divx/Xvid format ... you can adjust the size and even have it do 2 passes ... the quality looks very good.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah, but he wants to reencode back to MPEG-2. So, the first suggestion is not to encode to XviD at all. Second, go straight to DVD at a smaller size. You say you want 6 episodes per disc. If they're 22 minutes each or so, that's doable. If these are from a one hour series, (42-45 minutes each), it can't be done in decent quality for a DVDR.

Probably the best way if you don't know what you're doing (and you don't) is to reauthor the six episodes together using DVD Shrink followed by reducing the size using DVD Rebuilder which will reencode everything. Another way is to both shrink and reauthor the six episodes using DVD Shrink. It only transcodes and the results won't be as good as a full-on reencode. It's way faster, though. Only you can decide if you like the results.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay but ... why ... " then what is the best way to encode the video back to mpeg2? "

Six episodes of ... uhm ... Smallville ... with commercials taken out ... 6 X 42 minutes ... in DVD format ... quality is not going to be that great. Quality is going to look terrible.

But seven episodes of ... Boardwalk Empire ... 562 megs each on average ... 52 minutes long on average ... looks very good on my Panasonic 42" HDTV .......... in Divx / Xvid format.

Go to Walmart and get a Samsung DVD Player [$65] that plays Divx disks ... that is what I did last Christmas 2010.

In my bedroom on my Panasonic 42" ... I use a Phillips DVD Player that plays DVD disks with Divx burned on them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you learn from your mistakes. I think i'm probably gonna go with lacywest's idea and get a divx DVD player. Until I do, would ripping the individual episodes, then reauthoring and then compressing with dvd shrink work? I suppose I should just put like 4 episodes per DVD its not like they are expensive to begin with. I have downloaded episodes of bleach and put like 10 on a DVD and was fine with the quality so I thought it might be possible to stretch the limit a little more.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forget the DVIX player and get yourself a media player like the WDTV Live Plus.

You have to rip your DVDs to your hard drive anyway, so either stream the files to your media player or copy them to an external hd and connect directly. No need to worry about having 4, 6 or 10 episodes available on a single DVD, you can all your shows instantly available on your hard drive.

I was a naysayer to moving to a media player, but I find myself choosing to watch what I've already moved to my external drive far more often than; find a multi-episode disk, place it in the player, watch the episode, then have to get up and do it all over again because the next episode on another disk.

You mention that DVDs aren't that expensive, and I acknowledge that start-up costs of getting a media player and hard drive are qute a bit higher than just getting a DVIX capable player only, but now I can spend my time actually watching what I have versus having to reencode and burn to new DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The two Divx DVD Players I have in my home are the ...

Samsung DVD-1080P9 1080p Upconverting DVD Player ... Plays Divx videos burnt to DVD disks in data mode.

At Walmart ... you can buy it and if you like it ... keep it ... or return it ... Walmart has a good return policy.

Links >> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Upconvert-Dvd-Player/11080823

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001TK3D3Q/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&condition=all

The other DVD Player that plays Divx and this one is the one I use in the bedroom is the

DVP 5960 by Phillips ... been using this one since 2007 bought on Ebay ... didn't get it from a store in my area.

This site ... videohelp ... has all kinds of chit chat about it ... firmware updates ... etc ... etc

DVP 5960 links >>> http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP5960-Player-Upscaling-direct/dp/B000G18DR0

As I said ... I've used this one since 2007 and new models are out ... you will see a new link when you go to Amazon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anyways about the CDs with Divx movies on them. Our other family members use a XBOX 360 for playing DVDs ... connections are simple ... stereo audio connections and composite video connection.

Also setup are ... two DVD Players ... with component video connections and Dolby Digital.

The sound system is ... Pioneer 1015 Receiver and Acoustic Research speakers setup in a 7.1 arrangement.

My bedroom is a clone of the living room but it is a 5.1 setup ... my wife wont let me mount any speakers in the walls behind us ... LOL for a 7.1 arrangement.
    I use a different type of AR Speakers that are slim and mount easily on the walls and I use the Acoustic Design 10" subwoofers [2 of them for left and right] ... the system in my bedroom sounds great.

In my garage where I'm at now ... oh yeah ... same setup ... Pioneer Receiver ... AR speakers ... in a 5.1 setup ... I've thought about doing a 7.1 arrangement but I haven't done it ... yet.
    Sincerely ... Lacywest ... aka ... Mach10 ... Mach1016 and at another website ... Mach1069
    Last edited by lacywest; 8th Oct 2012 at 05:56. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote