VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a windows Vista laptop that was working fine one minute, but then when i went to turn it back on, only the blue screen of death shows up now before it shuts back down.

Any idea on how to fix this?

And i was able to boot up in safemode and do a bit of stuff. Does this at least mean theres no hardware issues and its all software?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firstly go into the BIOS and set is back to default if that doesn't resolve it boot into safe mode and start->run->SFC /SCANNOW and let it check for file system errors.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Believe it or not, sometimes the BSOD actually contains helpful information about your problem. It could be your memory, your disk drive, some program you installed recently including Windows updates or a virus. Note that laptops really aren't designed for the kind of constant use some people put them through and if you use it a lot every day, it could simply just be showing signs of damage from heat buildup.

If you do backups to your hard drive in Windows you could try going to a restore point where it worked OK and see if that helps. If that fixes it, then you installed something that broke it. lowellriggsiam's suggestion is well worth trying. If you have an install disc booting from that may enable Windows to fix itself if it's a software problem and not hardware failing. You need to look up doing a repair under Windows if you aren't familiar with the process.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I can take a look at the minidump files for you if you like. Look in C:\Windows\minidump for your dump files. Zip them up and attach them to a post.
    Quote Quote  
  5. laptops really aren't designed for the kind of constant use
    Because they Do expect you to buy two and use them on alternate days LOL

Laptops are very prone to (over)heating Issues, maybe try using it with a laptop cooler or with all vents uncovered, and see if you get better results from a literally cold boot. ALso check the battery and other items are securely attached.
    make model and age, daily usage, specification, additions, working environment (toted around?, left in car, stays at home,used by all family?) would give vital clues as to this cantankerous contraption.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Super Warrior View Post
    I have a windows Vista laptop that was working fine one minute, but then when i went to turn it back on, only the blue screen of death shows up now before it shuts back down.

Any idea on how to fix this?

And i was able to boot up in safe mode and do a bit of stuff. Does this at least mean theres no hardware issues and its all software?
    this is just a guess, but i'd bet money that automatic updates is enabled and that vista downloaded some updated driver that's causing the bsod.

try booting into safe mode, start, run, type "msconfig" and look to see what programs are set to run at start up, if the start up options have changed from "normal", etc.

also go into programs and view install updates, it'll tell you when they were installed, if you see one installed just before the last time the laptop worked properly, uninstall it and see if that fixes the problem.
    Quote Quote