VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This is weird. I generally use ConvertXtoDVD to make my dvd (usually converting an AVI file or occasionally and MKV). Last night an AVI file I made with ConvertXtoDVD just wouldn't load and play. A previously converted file worked just fine. I don't recall if the 2nd dvd was an avi file originally or not, but odds are it was.

Does anyone have an idea what may have happened? The dvd itself was from a batch of Memorex I have not had any problems with.

Thanks!

Hal
    I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it..... Yup. Spppllttt. It's gone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bad disc most likely. only verbatim and taiyo yuden are worth purchasing. and no "life series" or seconds even from them.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Hal05154 View Post
    The dvd itself was from a batch of Memorex I have not had any problems with.
    Until now? Memorex is poor brand.

Does it play on the computer?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Did you save the output on the hard drive and test the dvd-video from the hard drive? Maybe you had a glitch in the conversion process.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Did you save the output on the hard drive and test the dvd-video from the hard drive? Maybe you had a glitch in the conversion process.
    Does anyone know for sure if something like an automatic antivirus update can screw up a DVD you are making, either in the conversion / encoding or the burning phase ? Because I have some suspicions about this, if the project is more important I am apt to unplug the ethernet cable while CX2D, AVStoDVD, or other video processing programs are doing their thing.

But yeah -- avoid Memorex and all the other crap media most people buy, if you want to maximize your chances for obtaining good results.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Does anyone know for sure if something like an automatic antivirus update can screw up a DVD you are making, either in the conversion / encoding or the burning phase ?
    Given that virtually any program can crash Windows, yes, any program could screw up your DVD build/burn. But aside from catastrophic failures like BSODs, lockups, and spontaneous reboots, it's very hard for one program to screw up another in modern operating systems. The exception would be real time processes (where the CPU must respond to a hardware event within a certain amount of time) like video capture and DVD burning. The latter is largely alleviated by "burn-proof" and other buffering technologies.

So it's not likely that another process could screw up the conversion and authoring steps, and only slightly more likely that burning could have been messed up. But there's always the possibility that the software that was used, ConvertXtoDVD, just screwed up on its own.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could it be you inadvertently made a PAL DVD and your NTSC player rejected it ?
    Quote Quote