VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 58" inch Samsung 5500 series HDTV. I have 3 components connected all via HDMI. Including my Xbox, I want to buy a capture card that would allow me to play on my T.V.(HDMI) and record on my PC. I would prefer an external capture card but wouldn't mind an internal device either. I was going to buy an easycap from ebay for like 30 bucks but then I figured I should do some research which lead me here to this site. The capture card is for game recording when I play Gamebattles matches. If possible I would like to spend around 1-2 hundred for a card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want high def (which you don't mention) you should look into getting a hauppauge hd pvr. It records into h264 via component and 5.1 via fiber optic. It also has component passthrough so you can watch while you record on the tv (the original output is fed to the tv).

If you just want analog virtually anything will work. You should consider models with passthrough so can play while recording.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hauppauge's HD capture products and the AVerMedia MTVUHDDVR Avertv HD USB Digital Video Recorder are the only capture devices I have heard of of that provide a built-in pass through. With other devices, splitters are needed.

Hauppauge's 212 HD-PVR is a very popular external capture device for recording video games in HD (720p or 1080i) using component video connections. It has a built-in component video pass-through to avoid delays due to capturing. I have read reviews stating it can overheat and become unstable after being used to record for several hours at a time, and may need to be powered down and reset after being left on for long periods of time, but not every reviewer experienced these problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116030

The Hauppauge Colossus is a new internal capture device that has similar functionality, including component video pass-through It can record from HDMI as well if there is no HDCP protection applied to the signal, although HDMI input won't be sent out via the component pass-through, and there is no HDMI pass-through. I've been assured that the XBox 360 does not apply HDCP to games. It's too new to have many reviews yet, but most have been favorable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116065

Avermedia makes some popular HD capture devices too. The AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR (PCIe) and AVerMedia Avertv HD USB They can only record stereo audio, but not everyone cares about recording 5.1 AC3. The AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR (PCIe) encodes using software, so it places a greater burden on the CPU, but can record HD input in H.264 or MPEG-2. AVerMedia Avertv HD USB and Hauppage's HD capture products all use hardware encoding, which places little burden on the CPU, but are limited to H.264.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100049

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100052

A powered HDMI splitter would be needed to avoid delays while playing games and recording with the Colossus using HDMI or the AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR. Here is one example.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011301&p_id=...=2#description
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for recording in HD. To be honest I just need something that would record the matches in a visible quality. If the HD is at a reasonable price then sure I'll go HD. My concern was that I read on another site that most cards require you to play on your PC and also that some cards have an issue with recording when your playing off of your T.V. I'll have a look at the links that usually_quite posted. Thank you guys I didn't expect such an immediate response.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed you recommend a splitter is there a cap card that has minimal delay or do all of these card require a splitter. Also, is the internal Hauppauge the same as the external if not what would be the benefits that one might have over the other?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR (PCIe) has no video pass-through capability, so without some kind of splitter, the PC must be used to watch while playing games. Some claim that the delay using this device with no splitter is barely perceptable, but I have my doubts about this being true for most systems, and someone playing in a tournament would probably find any delay unnacceptable. Also, since it uses software to encode, 720p may be the limit for your dual core PC. You will need to experiment to find out what is possible.

The others have analog component pass-through when using analog component input. Pass-through means video goes straight to TV as well as to the capture hardware while playing a game. The Colossus allows HDMI video input as well, but the component pass-through is inactive in that case, requiring a HDMI splitter.

The Colossus is less expensive at newegg than the USB-connected Hauppage HD-PVR. Also, the speculation is that because the Colossus sits inside a larger enclosure with good airflow, the likelyhood of overheating and instability is lessened. ...but it's new, and has not established a track record yet.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, hands down do you think the Hauppauge would be the best choice? I prefer to simplify rather than to save.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For the best results yes the hd pvr is the best in my opinion.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Hauppauge HD PVR is a proven USB solution, and I agree it is probably the best choice amongst the external capture devices capable of meeting your needs. Apparently it is not without some quirks, but all capture devices and their software have some. It has the advantage of a fairly large user community, so help for most problems that arise should not be too difficult to find.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got the Hauppauge HD PVR ... last year ... I had an interesting event take place.

I use a Directv HR10-250 ... Pioneer RCVR with a Panasonic 42" ... and a PC I put together in my bedroom.

What I found interesting is this ... My wife and I were watching TV ... dont remember the show ... several minutes went by ... we had just used the PC for recording something with HD PVR and quite a bit of time went by watching some show.

I use a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard [$40 bucks at Walmart] and I have found I dont need a mouse pad close by. The mouse works just fine rubbing it on the comforter or on my chest ... for selecting something on the screen.

Well ... I guess I put the mouse on the table next to me and it wasn't getting bumped or jiggled or nothing.

Anyways ... what I'm trying to say is ... my wife and I thought we were watching the TV show through the Directv and the Pioneer RCVR.

Nope ... we never did leave the PC ... we had the ... Arcsoft Total Media Capture Window ... in full screen and were going on with our business ... watching our TV shows and didn't notice until I bumped the mouse ... and saw the pointer appear on the screen.

I just wanted to share this ... PC specs ... WIN 7 Ultimate x64 ... AMD 2.8 GHZ ... 4 Gigs of ram ... MSI mobo ... Nvidia 9500GT - Brand is PNY. The PC tower sits on my subwoofer next to the HDTV. Two ... extra Seagate external USB 2.0 harddrives sit on the PC tower and underneath the HDTV ... 500GB each.

Some video cards run hot and have lousy little fans ... no biggy ... I take the shroud off and let the heatsink fins stay exposed and just place a 80mm case fan blowing against it. Or take a 50mm CPU fan and use silicone rubber glue and attach a new fan to the shroud ... I usually take the fan inside ... completely off.

You can also ... take a 80mm fan ... and cut out some thin card board and make a stand for a 80mm fan and leave cardboard legs at the bottom and just set inside the PC tower ... the air enters from the bottom and blows against the video card. I usually like to keep the packaging material from stuff in plastic blister packs because that back section of cardboard is perfect to make these little 80mm fan enclosures.
    Last edited by lacywest; 24th Mar 2011 at 17:52. Reason: added more text
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much guys, Lacywest that is quite interesting Also I have one other question that I want to ask but not sure if I could ask here or should I use a different forum. I just returned my Dell 580 i3 and got a Gateway DX4850-27e it has an i5 with 6 GB / 1.5 TB. the guy at best buy told me that the only thing he recommends is to change the graphic card it has intel GMA HD graphics. What would be a good graphic card up grade?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVERTV HD DVR video capture (look in HD mode):

PS: AVERTV HD DVR record any HDMI HDCP protect files (PS3 and some Cable Tvs)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cauptain is that an external device?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Raw_Habitz View Post
    No, but if the effect would be the same.

USB 2 transfer up to 40Mb, enough to record a video bitrate MPEG2 1080i 30,000 btrate.

Hauppauge's
    has more respect in the category USB. If you can try both before buying one.

I always take my PS3 to buy some new HDTV

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already offered the device Cauptain recommended as a possible solution. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100049

To recap, it is an internal PCIe device. It is unlike the other devices discussed in your thread so far because it encodes using software, and does not include a video or audio pass-through. Recorded audio will be limited to stereo, but that is all some people really need to be happy with their recording device. It is also the least inexpensive HD capture device mentioned so far.

Capturing often introduces a small video and audio delay when using a capture program's monitoring feature to watch instead of using an A/V pass-through. Small delays are less apparent when recording and watching TV, but while gaming it could be a different story. A quad core like you have how may reduce the delay to the point where you don't notice it, but I can't say for certain that it will. However, having a better CPU now also means that software encoding will perform better.

If you find there is an unnaceptable delay, then a powered HDMI splitter would be needed as a substitute for a pass-through in order to provide a delay-free HDMI connection for a TV. I checked before writing my first reply, and found one of the reviewers at newegg said he had used a powered HDMI splitter with his AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR, and it worked great in lieu of a pass-through when recording XBox 360 console games.

Thank you very much guys, Lacywest that is quite interesting Also I have one other question that I want to ask but not sure if I could ask here or should I use a different forum. I just returned my Dell 580 i3 and got a Gateway DX4850-27e it has an i5 with 6 GB / 1.5 TB. the guy at best buy told me that the only thing he recommends is to change the graphic card it has intel GMA HD graphics. What would be a good graphic card up grade?
    A far as the video card goes... What is your budget? What kind tasks do you need it to perform? How many monitors do you need to run at the same time? What video connections do you need? Do you have an adequate PSU with the required connection to use a high-end card, if that is what you need. Also, do you have enough room to install the card in your PC case. Many VGA cards take up two slots now, and some are too large to fit inside smaller cases.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Mar 2011 at 14:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Very nice post
    Completing the answer, very complete by the way (tks usually_quiet) , I suggest taking a read on the link below. There you will find all the information possible about having an improved quality in the AVERTV Hd card.

AVER TV FULL RECORD

In my old capture PC I used WINDOWS 7 + C2D E6600 + 8GB memory + 720p/1080i 30k/40k bitrate. Never delay with AVERTV, Power Director 8 and Virtualdub.

PS: AVERTV HD (PCI-e) is 3D record Card too (Play my PS3 Ridge Racer in 3D....Very Nice look)

PS2: 3D view only working in Youtube site...

Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 24th Mar 2011 at 16:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    AVERTV HD DVR video capture (look in HD mode):

PS: AVERTV HD DVR record any HDMI HDCP protect files (PS3 and some Cable Tvs)
    Hey that game looks like fun ... is it available in PC ?? What is the name of it ??

I like games that are more intense and FPS but for some people that would be a cool game for other folks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been playing Crysis 2 with my Nvidia 9500GT with 512mb of video ram ... they are on Ebay for around 40 some bucks ... there are usually other people bidding against you.

The thing about using a good Nvidia video card ... the ... small external connector for ... video component out ... works right off the bat ... I do not even like the way the ATI video cards behave.

Perhaps the newer ATI cards ... 2009 and newer behave different but with the Nvidia cards ... it boots up with ... the video component output there and already showing the boot up screen without having to do some kind of setup routine like my ATI cards ... that I have ... they are kind of old ... 2008 and older.

I'm using a Sony 32" HDTV for my PC monitor ... in my garage setup ... which I'm on now. Works great !!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for price for the cap card I would like to stay around 200. The reason I ask about the external and internal devices is because I'm looking at the Hauppauge HD PVR and it looks like the internal version is a bit cheaper. I thought maybe it has a few perks missing in comparison to the external PVR

Also, as for the graphic card I mostly play online games like WoW. It was simply suggested that I might want to change the card because its a lower end of the ones available. I was wondering what might be one to review
    Last edited by Raw_Habitz; 24th Mar 2011 at 18:04. Reason: adding
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest View Post
    Hey that game looks like fun ... is it available in PC ?? What is the name of it ??

I like games that are more intense and FPS but for some people that would be a cool game for other folks.
    Yeah. The first version have in PC.

Soldner X - PC
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for price for the cap card I would like to stay around 200. The reason I ask about the external and internal devices is because I'm looking at the Hauppauge HD PVR and it looks like the internal version is a bit cheaper. I thought maybe it has a few perks missing in comparison to the external PVR

Also, as for the graphic card I mostly play online games like WoW. It was simply suggested that I might want to change the card because its a lower end of the ones available. I was wondering what might be one to review
    The internal Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR offers everything their external USB HD-PVR offers in terms of functionality, plus the option to record via HDMI. It's a new product, but the speculation is that it is a good one. I think in this case, the choice between internal or external is largely a matter of practicality or preference.

I'm not a gamer. Whenever I look at video cards for myself, I'm thinking more along the lines of an HTPC or general-purpose PC, and $80 or less. Without a budget it's hard to narrow down the list of prospects, but I did some window shopping at newegg anyway and came up with a few suggestions for you to look at for around $150 or less. Read reviews and decide what is best for you. I can't tell what is likely to be a good fit for your PC's case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162067

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102874

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127541

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150467

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490

I looked at the specs for your new PC, and it only has a 300W power supply. You may need to upgrade the PSU, depending on the VGA card you pick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

THIS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490

I looked at the specs for your new PC, and it only has a 300W power supply. You may need to upgrade the PSU, depending on the VGA card you pick.
    Got this. Best CXB at moment or search to ATI 6850 1Gb.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys for the insight I'll review the post that quite added and let you know how it went. Also, I ordered a pair of modules 2x4GB to add on there from the crucial site.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

The internal Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR offers everything their external USB HD-PVR offers in terms of functionality, plus the option to record via HDMI. It's a new product, but the speculation is that it is a good one. I think in this case, the choice between internal or external is largely a matter of practicality or preference.

I'm not a gamer. Whenever I look at video cards for myself, I'm thinking more along the lines of an HTPC or general-purpose PC, and $80 or less. Without a budget it's hard to narrow down the list of prospects, but I did some window shopping at newegg anyway and came up with a few suggestions for you to look at for around $150 or less. Read reviews and decide what is best for you. I can't tell what is likely to be a good fit for your PC's case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102874

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127541

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150467

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490

That first video card you posted

Galaxy 43GGS8HX3SPZ GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Looks good and doesn't use up alot of room ... but never heard of Galaxy video cards until now.

I prefer using the HDTV connection for my TV [my video connection runs through my Pioneer VSX 815] ... I wonder if a DVI to HDTV cable would work on this card. I've got one ... haven't tried it out ... yet.
    Quote Quote