VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have this flat screen HDTV that I bought not too long ago. I would like to connect headphones to this tv to watch regular television and movies from my dvd player and wd tv live media player and be able to control the volume. But there is one big problem: It does not have a headphone jack nor rca(red/white) outputs. This is pretty strange since this is a fairly new television. How would I be able to connect headphones to the tv? Would I need any adapters? I would like somehow to convert one of the rca stereo inputs to an output so I can use this cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable/dp/B0002GUBIS/ref=sr_1_1?s=elect...0791833&sr=1-1

But I am not even sure if you can even do that.

Any suggestions would much be appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So this wasn't a consideration when you bought the TV?

What is feeding the TV that you could intercept the RCA audio?

If TV only you would place a microphone in front of the TV.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. The levels from an RCA output won't be right for headphones. And there will be no volume control. You'll need and amp:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MA400-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000H2D89G

Or just get a pair of wireless heaphones:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS110-Over-Ear-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVEA/ref=...0845458&sr=1-2
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any hints in the manual? It would help to know the make and model of the TV.

It may only have audio out on the HDMI connector(s), if so, you could use an inexpensive audio receiver with HDMI in and headphone out.
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Verify View Post
    Any hints in the manual? It would help to know the make and model of the TV.

It may only have audio out on the HDMI connector(s), if so, you could use an inexpensive audio receiver with HDMI in and headphone out.

My tv is an LG 32LH30

In the manual it does say it has a optical digital audio out. Can I do something with this output?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like your TV only has HDMI input connectors. The only audio-out shown in the manual is the optical digital out.

To use that you need either a converter to convert from the TOSLINK connector (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK) to analog audio such as this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Analog-Converter-Adapter/dp/B003OND0N4
    "Converts 2-channel LPCM digital audio S/PDIF Coax or TOSLink Optical signals to analog stereo L/R signals "

or use an Audio Video Receiver (AVR) that has an optical S/PDIF connector (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF) such as this one (least expensive new one that I could easily find):
    http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-ht-rc260/4507-6466_7-34079031.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav
    Last edited by Verify; 23rd Mar 2011 at 01:34. Reason: grammer
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, that TV doesn't have an RCA outputs so the devices I mentioned earlier won't work. You need something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-28733-Digital-Converter/dp/tech-data/B00007JO2V

It will take optical audio from your TV and allow you to use your headphones directly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, that TV doesn't have an RCA outputs so the devices I mentioned earlier won't work. You need something like this:

It will take optical audio from your TV and allow you to use your headphones directly.
    If you look closer at one of the pictures it has a usb port and says it needs windows. This may not be suitable if the poster doesn't have a pc in the same room as the tv. I could not see if it works without a computer. If it can work without a computer that would be ideal.

There are headphone sets made for the xbox 360 and ps3 that connect via fiber optic. Those would be something to look into. Tritton and Turtlebeach make those.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Yes, that TV doesn't have an RCA outputs so the devices I mentioned earlier won't work. You need something like this:

If you look closer at one of the pictures it has a usb port and says it needs windows. This may not be suitable if the poster doesn't have a pc in the same room as the tv. I could not see if it works without a computer. If it can work without a computer that would be ideal.
    I'm pretty sure it works as a standalone device. The CablesToGo website has more info:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3130&sku=28733&st=digital%20to%20analog%2...io%20converter

There are wireless headphones with TOSLINK inputs too. The ones I've seen cost more than the above device though.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-DS3000-Wireless-Surround-Headphones/dp/B00023C6SE/
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Mar 2011 at 10:05.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Verify View Post
    It looks like your TV only has HDMI input connectors. The only audio-out shown in the manual is the optical digital out.
    I have exactly the same problem as the other gentleman.
    I have a brand new Panasonic 32" TV ( Viera) TC-L32C3 with only a digital AUDIO out jack. Since The TV sound is simply horrible ( unlike the same Panasonic Viera model of 5 years ago which I still have) I was thinking of connecting 2 amplified external speakers of the type used on a PC. Unfortunately, if, in order to make up for the missing RCA audio jacks , I am to buy, in addition to the speakers, the the digital to analog audio converter you suggest, , it is going to be an expensive proposition , even more so if I use the receiver you suggested as a 2nd solution: ( $ 300..)
    Is there any other cheaper way out? Like for example using PC amplified speakers which take a digital optical cable instead of RCA cables? Are there any such speakers? I wonder why Panasonic didn't leave the RCA cables on the newer Viera Tv's !

Thank you for your help

Ittiandro
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
    Originally Posted by Verify View Post
    I have exactly the same problem as the other gentleman.
    I have a brand new Panasonic 32" TV ( Viera) TC-L32C3 with only a digital AUDIO out jack. Since The TV sound is simply horrible ( unlike the same Panasonic Viera model of 5 years ago which I still have) I was thinking of connecting 2 amplified external speakers of the type used on a PC. Unfortunately, if, in order to make up for the missing RCA audio jacks , I am to buy, in addition to the speakers, the the digital to analog audio converter you suggest, , it is going to be an expensive proposition , even more so if I use the receiver you suggested as a 2nd solution: ( $ 300..)
    Is there any other cheaper way out? Like for example using PC amplified speakers which take a digital optical cable instead of RCA cables? Are there any such speakers? I wonder why Panasonic didn't leave the RCA cables on the newer Viera Tv's !

Thank you for your help

Ittiandro
    There are sound bars (external speakers made specifically for use with LCD TVs) which accept optical digital input. Some cost about $150(US), like the VIZIO VSB200. I have seen PC speakers that have an optical digital input, but they were not less expensive than sound bars.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a cheap & decent converter to take the Digital Audio out from your TV and make it Analog (L/R,White/Red):
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=...seq=1&format=2
    You can't power headphones directly, but provides a cheap way to get Analog Audio to an Amp/Receiver or cheap soundbar with Analog Audio Inputs.
    We used this converter on a buddy's LCD TV Digital Out to feed his Analog Audio Input soundbar. Works great! Does NOT include a Digital cable, so pick up an Optical Cable to go from the TV to converter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    per site
    It will ONLY convert 2-channel digital stereo (PCM) input signals to analog stereo output. This will not work with TVs that only output 5.1-channel digital signals!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    per site
    It will ONLY convert 2-channel digital stereo (PCM) input signals to analog stereo output. This will not work with TVs that only output 5.1-channel digital signals!
    True.
    But if you're looking to feed a Stereo Receiver(2-channel) or/for headphones, or a cheapie soundbar this will work fine.

If you need/want 5.1, then you lay down the big bucks for a surround system or soundbar with Digital inputs.

It sucks that TV manufacturers exclude analog audio output jacks to save a few pennies on production.
    This limits connectivity and makes you buy additional equipment. $$$
    The TVs are only an inch thick. No room for decent speakers, and that's why the sound stinks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You probably don't want to do this, but with an old TV I had I opened the case up, drilled a hole in the side and spliced an earphone jack socket into the speaker wires. Was pretty simple, cost about $1 for the jack.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 26th Dec 2011 at 06:21.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    You probably don't want to do this, but with an old TV I had I opened the case up, drilled a hole in the side and spliced an earphone jack socket into the speaker wires. Was pretty simple, cost about $1 for the jack.
    I did something similar but didn't even drill a hole. The internal speakers were connected to the "motherboard" with quick connect wire terminals (http://www.amazon.com/Pico-Insulated-Electrical-Receptacle-Terminal/dp/B00030CS1G/). I just unplugged them and ran speaker wires with wire terminals through one of the air vents in the back of the TV. If the TV broke while still under warranty I could remove the external wiring, reconnect the internal speakers, and send it in for repair.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikey man View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    per site
    True.
    But if you're looking to feed a Stereo Receiver(2-channel) or/for headphones, or a cheapie soundbar this will work fine.

If you need/want 5.1, then you lay down the big bucks for a surround system or soundbar with Digital inputs.

It sucks that TV manufacturers exclude analog audio output jacks to save a few pennies on production.
    This limits connectivity and makes you buy additional equipment. $$$
    The TVs are only an inch thick. No room for decent speakers, and that's why the sound stinks!
    What edDV means is if a TV can only output 5.1 audio as 5.1 audio, then that converter won't work. The converter needs to be used with a TV which can down-convert the signal for its optical audio output from 5.1 to 2-channel digital stereo.
    Quote Quote  
  18. In my experience, most TVs that output digital audio only output 2.0. 5.1 sources (cable box, Blu-ray, broadcast TV) are all downgraded to 2.0.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my experience, most TVs that output digital audio only output 2.0. 5.1 sources (cable box, Blu-ray, broadcast TV) are all downgraded to 2.0.
    The audio for over-the-air HD broadcasts is normally 5.1. External ATSC receivers capable of HD audio output are hard to find at present, so the TV will be the audio source for most antenna users. I would expect most newer HD TVs with an optical audio output to provide 5.1 audio when used with an antenna.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by mikey man View Post
    This is a cheap & decent converter to take the Digital Audio out from your TV and make it Analog (L/R,White/Red):
    Thanks, excellent suggestion! Now, I'd like to go even further: I do have a HD converter box on my other TV but on the TV I am talking about ( my 2nd set I just bought) I don't have such a HD converter and the signal is fed directly from the coaxial cable provided by my ISP. The definition/resolution is of course much lower than on the other TV with the HD converter. I was wondering if there is a way to avoid purchasing a 2nd HD converter box: on my TV I have a digital optical audio-out (Toslink )jack . I was wondering if there is a way to convert the digital optical audio output into an HDMI signal and then feed it into my HDMI input jack. This way I wouldn't have to buy a 2nd HD converter box and it might be cheaper. Is this feasible?

Thanks

Ittiandro
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, excellent suggestion! Now, I'd like to go even further: I do have a HD converter box on my other TV but on the TV I am talking about ( my 2nd set I just bought) I don't have such a HD converter and the signal is fed directly from the coaxial cable provided by my ISP. The definition/resolution is of course much lower than on the other TV with the HD converter. I was wondering if there is a way to avoid purchasing a 2nd HD converter box: on my TV I have a digital optical audio-out (Toslink )jack . I was wondering if there is a way to convert the digital optical audio output into an HDMI signal and then feed it into my HDMI input jack. This way I wouldn't have to buy a 2nd HD converter box and it might be cheaper. Is this feasible?

Thanks

Ittiandro
    You want to use your new TV's HDMI input to receive just the audio from the other TV's optical audio output?

I don't think that will work, but even if it did, I don't think it will do much for you. You will still be using the optical digital audio to analog stereo converter and external stereo speakers with your new TV, and that only gives you analog stereo sound quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikey man View Post
    Thanks, excellent suggestion! Now, I'd like to go even further: I do have a HD converter box on my other TV but on the TV I am talking about ( my 2nd set I just bought) I don't have such a HD converter and the signal is fed directly from the coaxial cable provided by my ISP. The definition/resolution is of course much lower than on the other TV with the HD converter...
    You are looking at the analog NTSC channels.

Your TV tuner should be able to scan the unencrypted QAM channels. These will include the locals and some others. They will be in HD if broadcast in HD. To get the other HD cable channels you will need an additional HD cable box.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my experience, most TVs that output digital audio only output 2.0. 5.1 sources (cable box, Blu-ray, broadcast TV) are all downgraded to 2.0.
    This must be the case in my buddy's TV setup.
    We have an HD U-Verse box and a Blu-Ray player each going to a 32" Toshiba LCD via HDMI cables.
    The Optical out must be 2.0 because the analog converter works great. No sync issues either.
    There's no antenna hooked up, so can't confirm internal tuner output. Might there be a setting in the menu to select the audio output, like on a DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks

Ittiandro[/QUOTE]

Are you using an HD cable box? Or do you have one of those little Digital converter boxes also called a DTA?

The DTA has just coax in and coax out. You leave your TV on channel 3 and use that box to change cable channels. The cable companies issued them after the Digital change over. They are NOT High Def, but allow you to receive "Digital" channels that are now scrambled by the cable companies.

If you hook your TV to the coax direct from the wall you should get basic cable channels (like 2 thru 20) in Standard Def, plus your local broadcast stations which should be in Hi Def.

If you have a true HD cable box, it will have HDMI and/or Component Video outputs. The best option is to have an HD box feeding your TV via an HDMI cable.

I have used my HD DVR Comcast cable box to feed multiple sources. HDMI to one TV, coax out to another TV, Composite and S-Video to feed my DVD Recorders.
    So yes, you can supply 2 TV sets from a single box. Let us know what box you have and what jacks are on it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. There are wireless headphones that have digital inputs already in place. These headphones offer superior audio quality over the old analog output.
    http://www.dealsourcedirect.com/ymdrds6500.html
    http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_MDRDS6500/
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-DS3000-Wireless-Surround-Headphones/dp/B00023C6SE
    http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SE-DIR800C-Headphones-Headphone-Technology/dp/B0007XL43M...d_rhf_dp_p_t_2
    Converting digital to analog to use an old cheap wireless headphone or tapping off of the speaker leads will degrade the audio output. Not to mention void any warranty on your TV. I would suggest you bite the bullet and get a nice digital headphone and be amazed at the quality of the sound.
    Last edited by Stan77; 15th Jan 2012 at 11:19.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hi! We ran into this same problem @ work. For anybody else out there, this is what you'll need. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=180-998#windowcontent
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That device only works with pcm,not dd so if you tv has no settings for pcm then it's no good.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice 2 year old thread. But this one handles DTS/DD/MPEG as well as PCM:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/943587-REG/fiio_d07_digital_to_analog.html
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote