VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently had to change out my graphics card and restart Windows XP Pro. Now my DV files won't play smoothly or without scan lines. In WMP, they won't even play in the right aspect ratio. They used to play perfectly and were my favorite file type to watch and edit from. I have tried many codecs, including the MainConcept codec they were created with. I must be missing something right under my nose, but I'm stumped.

Any suggestions? I miss being able to use and enjoy those files.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd try playing it with vlc or mpchc first. They should play it without a hitch. There still must be some lingering issue if you can't play them correctly and could before. But either of these programs should get you going without having to do diagnostics right now.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried VLC, but the interlace lines are even worse. When I try to change the interlace settings, the player blacks-out. It did that before the change, too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try mpchc.

Also you may need to update your graphics drivers.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just now tried the Classic Player - exact same results.

The card is a Radeon HD-6850. Should be enough to play a DV clip.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would try re-registering quartz.dll.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please forgive me, but how do I register a .dll file?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Open a command line window and type: RegSvr32 C:\Windows\system32\quartz.dll
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It succeeded in registering, but no change in playback. I'm still trying to find updated drivers for my graphics card. So far, all I get is B.S. little 'helpers' and password-protected .rar files. None seem to be legitimate.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hate to double-post, but I just updated the drivers and still get the same result.

Arrrgh.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    time for a c: drive format and re-install windows from scratch.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a fresh install. No errors or bottlenecks were encountered throughout the process. The install is only about a week old or so. I had an nVidia 8800GTX card which went sour. I bought the new card and performed a fresh install of XP Pro with the new card.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by xtremeD63 View Post
    It succeeded in registering, but no change in playback. I'm still trying to find updated drivers for my graphics card. So far, all I get is B.S. little 'helpers' and password-protected .rar files. None seem to be legitimate.
    Get the latest WHQL certified drivers directly from AMD.
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

DV should play in XP SP1 or newer without installing any codecs (though you should update to SP3 anyway). The DV codec that comes with windows will automatically bob deinterlace in WMP. What graphics card you use has nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Mar 2011 at 18:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry to hear it. no codec packs or other crapware installed? dv is about as easy as it gets for a computer to play. bad video card maybe? never used a amd/ati video card here, i avoid them like the plague.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Get the latest WHQL certified drivers directly from AMD.
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

DV should play in XP SP1 or newer without installing any codecs. The DV codec that comes with windows will automatically bob deinterlace in WMP. What graphics card you use has nothing to do with it.
    Thanks for the link, but that's the same page I was on and downloaded from a little while ago.

My PC plays all the files and clips of other codecs and types that it did before the format and restart. It's only DV clips that look awful. I don't get it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by xtremeD63 View Post
    My PC plays all the files and clips of other codecs and types that it did before the format and restart
    Then it's likely you installed a DV decoder that replaced Windows' DV decoder. Delete that decoder or use a filter manager to deprecate it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright - I got rid of all (4) of the codec packs and now WMP will play the files in the correct aspect, but I'm still getting interlace lines. I feel I'm getting close, but... hmmm.

I'd like to say thank you to you guys for your help, too. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Since you have MPC, play one of your DV AVI files with it. While playing, right click on its video window and hover over Filters... That will show you the list of filters that are in use. You can select any of them to set any available options and to get more information about them. Also, from the main MPC window you can select View -> Options -> Internal Filters. You can then switch its internal AVI Source Filter off or on. Try changing it's state and see if what works better. You have to exit MPC and restart it for changes to take effect.

If you install GraphStudio you can drag a DV AVI file onto it and it will build a DirectShow Filter Graph, the same thing WMP does when it plays a file. You can then right click on any of the filters to get information and select options.
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Mar 2011 at 07:24.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have since restarted Windows XP. I installed the new video card with everything updated and the whole nine yards. My players still play all files and formats like before and yes, the DV is still screwed up. It's kind of funny. I have not clue #1 regarding what went wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by xtremeD63 View Post
    I have since restarted Windows XP.
    What does that mean? You re-installed XP? Or just rebooted?

Originally Posted by xtremeD63 View Post
    I installed the new video card with everything updated and the whole nine yards.
    Including all the codec packs? That's probably the source of your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I reinstalled XP.

I installed no codec packs and I tested the playing of DV files along the way after I installed.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Which version of XP did you install? Even WMP doesn't play DV AVI properly?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    XP Pro, SP3... WMP is my preferred player for that format... it's what I always used. I tried settings in the software for my new video card - nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Try running mplayer2.exe. That's WMP 6.4, still included with newer WMP releases. You can find it in:

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe

Does it have the same problem with your DV AVI files? If so, right click on the player window and select Properties. From the properties dialog select the Advanced tab. That will show you the list of filters that are being used to play that video. You can view the Properties of any of those filters to change internal settings. See if you can get a proper display by changing the settings. Especially the DV decoder and renderer.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did as you said to no avail. Nothing seems to affect the scan lines. I guess I might just have to live with it, even though it's annoying me to no end. I can't see it as being a hardware problem; all the other clips and file types work just like before.

Thank you so much for your help, guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xtremeD63 View Post
    XP Pro, SP3... WMP is my preferred player for that format... it's what I always used. I tried settings in the software for my new video card - nothing.

wmp has never been good at interlaced video. use vlc instead. turn video/de-interlacing on and since your comp is on the slower side set video/de-interlacing mode to blend or discard.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Negative. Whenever I try to change the deinterlace settings in VLC - it collapses and ceases to display video. It doesn't matter what deinterlace setting I use.

Computer is 2.67 GHz QuadCore CPU. Plenty fast enough.

Problem continues...
    Quote Quote  
  28. WMP is very good at deinterlacing DV AVI. In fact, it's nearly impossible to stop it from deinterlacing.

Re VLC: start the program, go to Tools -> Preferences... in the Deinterlacing section set Deinterlacing to On, Mode to Bob, and Save. See if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After setting to bob and saving, I get no video in VLC Player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you sure the files you are testing are ok? could you use mediainfo on 1 and post the results of the text mode here?
    --
    Quote Quote