VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I am newbie with a Blu-Ray burner and some non-pro experience with video editing and ripping.
    Is it possible to Rip one of my blu-rays and edit the content (presuming that in addition to a ripper, I would need Vegas Pro?... something that could handle m2ts files).

My goal is to re-master a few of my Blu-Rays for inappropriate content (mostly just dropping frames from the content) while maintaining the original video quality (maybe that is not even possible?).

I've don this in the past with DVDs that I own (I show my movies at the campground and I don't want things on the screen that are not family friendly). So o much of the inappropriate content is unnecessary and easily removed, which is great to keep me happy and to keep the older kids happy by offering mivies that are less "kidish". I'd sure like to know how to do this with Blu-Ray content as well (if it is even possible without being some kind of video engineer).

Any recommended tools or process for something like this? I am within a 30 day trial of Vegas pro currently (seems to only import the audio of a m2ts file, which is why I decided to ask if there is a practical way to do this).

Thank You
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try Corel's VideoStudio X4 Pro-about $100 or less. Quicker learning curve than Vegas and easier to use. For most projects it fits the bill. If you are quick, you can get more info on the post below on the "best editor for under $100.00."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's quite a bit harder to edit BD video, mainly as it is a more highly compressed format than in a DVD. If you have a very fast PC, the correct software, and lots and lots of hard drive space, you can do it. I should mention that you may invite a lawsuit if Hollywood finds out. They don't like their movies modified.

If you need frame accurate editing, as is often the case with cutting out 'inappropriate content', then you would usually need another step. Convert the huge video to a intermediate format like Cineform. Then you can do frame accurate edits. Have lot's of HDD space available. Once edited, you can convert it to a more compact format.
    Last edited by redwudz; 21st Mar 2011 at 19:38.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah, tough to do correctly and maybe not worth the trouble.

But it's possible to do it free, quick and dirty, which may be good enough. It won't be frame-accurate, as cutting will be I-frame only:

1) Extract main movie with Clown_BD, save as *.ts or *.m2ts.
    2) Open the saved file with tsSniper. Cut out the parts you want and export.
    3) Re-author to Blu-Ray or AVCHD with tsMuxer.

You'll need a lot of CPU horsepower to do it, and tsSniper is touchy. Give it time to seek the file or it will crash. I find it useful to have Task Manager minimized and watch CPU usage. You need ffdshow and Haali as well. In tsSniper, set preferred splitter to "Haali AR".

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Many thanks all... appreciate the suggestions. Sounds tricky.... I have a strong enough PC, etc...just not sure it is worth all of this time and effort in the end. Best regards
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gospadvf View Post
    just not sure it is worth all of this time and effort in the end.
    That's my thinking. I do not fault you at all for being concerned about the subject as for all you know some crazy parent might totally freak out if their child watches something they don't approve of. It happens. It could make your life unpleasant having to deal with them. Teachers have been fired for this very thing after showing movies in class. But it's so much effort that in the end it's probably not worth the trouble and it's just best to find (hopefully) non-offensive fare you don't have to change.
    Quote Quote