VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First off, I just want to say I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong forum; I have no clue where this question should go.

I have this device.... All it is is a black box with a power supply. It has an F-connector input, an F-connector output, and a power supply jack.

There are no buttons, no switches, and no labels. The only thing I see is a sticker on the bottom labeling the input/output and a stamp that says "FTG-RF"

The power supply says Texas Instruments though I'm not sure it is the one that came with the device (it says on the power supply "For use with calculator")

I would post a picture but like I said, all it is is a metal box. I'll post a picture anyway if it will help.

Any ideas what this device is or could be?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    macro-vision removing device aka "The Black Box"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ohh that makes sense. Also explains the power adapter.

Judging by the F connectors, I assume that means these would have been used with VCRs. Do you think these would work with DVD players if I got an RF-RCA adapter?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Yep, most likely a amplifier. Macrovision removal boxes used composite in and out, and usually ran off a 9V battery.

As I recall, macrovision didn't affect the RF out.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok, I'm convinced this is probably an amplifier. Definitely no RCA jacks and battery components. However, most of the amplifiers I'm seeing seem to have 3 RF jacks, not 2 like mine does.

I wish I could find some info on the exact one I have. Running a search of both macrovision devices and of RF amplifiers have been unsuccessful as i have not seen the one I have yet.

I'll just have to keep looking. Are there any other possibilities on what this thing could be?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are there any identifying numbers or characters on it, like a serial# or something you could enter in a google search?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Dare, there's really nothing. It's really making me wonder if it's the Black Box due to the lack of detail.

The sticker says FTG-RF and running a search of that gives hundreds of unrelated results.

I tried searching the model numbers of the power plug to see if it matches something but no luck. It's showing me Texas Instruments chargers but not what devices might have been shipped with those chargers. I searched TI amplifiers and all I see are chips, not boxes like what I have.

I could always open it and see if there's any information on the chipsets but I'd hate to do that and risk damaging a perfectly good advice. It always makes me more nervous opening things that are dangerous when near magnets (I'm Deaf and I have a cochlear implant, which means I have a magnet in my head)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sounds a lot like one of those cheater box a.k.a black box for unlocking PPV and movie channels on analog cable. Useless with digital cable.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cynikalhedonist View Post
    The sticker says FTG-RF and running a search of that gives hundreds of unrelated results.
    You need better Google-fu.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/140183.html

Judging from that thread, it's an illegal cable decoder black box like 47nic2k4 suggested.
    "I can wire anything directly into anything!" - Professor Farnsworth
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mufunyo View Post
    Originally Posted by cynikalhedonist View Post
    You need better Google-fu.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/140183.html
    Correct, that's the third search result in:

http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&safe=off&q=%22FTG-RF%22+%22black+box%22&btnG=Search

Judging from that thread, it's an illegal cable decoder black box like 47nic2k4 suggested.
    Yep.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Wow, you're right, I really need to work on my searching. Sorry about that but thanks!

When I got this box, it certainly didn't come with a second device, so this is probably useless to me. Oh well.

Thanks everyone for your help!
    Quote Quote