VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I am hopping that someone can help me with the issue I am having rendering a music video in Premiere CS5.

I shot the original footage with a Sony Ex1 camare 1080, 60i 29.97 fps, and I am rendering to the same format.

The project plays smooth in Premiere. However when I export the video skips in two or three spots. It usually happens when there is motion on the video (Someone walking etc..) NOt sure why. I have been rendering for a week now and I feel that if I continue, I can declare myself insane. This is why I need someone's help please.

Now once I import the rendered footage back into premiere it does not skip. It plays back perfectly.

I am exporting to MPEG2 and I tried various bit rates, and same issue happens. It is important to note that it never skips in the sma place when you render on a different time.

The skipping happens when I view it on Windows Media Player.

Can anyone please help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    install mediainfo. use it in text mode on both the source and a jumpy output. post the results here. just a guess for now but i'd venture you have a field order problem in your interlaced video. the source is probably top field first and you are exporting normal dvd mpeg-2 which defaults to bottom field first. if so render the mpeg-2 to top field first and see how it looks. dvd players don't care which they play.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    install mediainfo. use it in text mode on both the source and a jumpy output. post the results here. just a guess for now but i'd venture you have a field order problem in your interlaced video. the source is probably top field first and you are exporting normal dvd mpeg-2 which defaults to bottom field first. if so render the mpeg-2 to top field first and see how it looks. dvd players don't care which they play.

Thanks for the quick response. Actually I have tried various combinations upper field/lower field first. MPEG2, h264, HD, SD and so on. Same results. I am not sure how to use Media info. I will look into that. The footage was shot with Sony Ex1 1080/60i..However when I burn it to DVD it is fine, just the mpeg2 on windows media player does not play. I even uploaded to youtube and youtube fixed it so it plays fine. Unfortunately the TV station wants it to play correctly on windows media player and it has to be an MPEG2.

Also, I am using Looks builder and Neat Video as the only plugins FYI. Please help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i've done a lot of video for a local tv station in dvd spec mpeg-2 video with mpa audio but have never been asked to have it work in wmp. afaik wmp doesn't have a decent de-interlacer. as long as it works fine in a decent dvd software player that's about all you can expect on a computer monitor that's progressive. try vlc with de-interlace set to on and mode to yadif and see how it looks there.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for your response. Sorry I guess I was not clear. I am emailing them the mpeg2 file, they are playing it on windows media player and putting it on Beta and then it airs. But when they play the video in the windows media player is when the problems happen. They will not accept a dvd, they want mpeg2 only. Plus they are in Europe so it makes it a lot easier to transfer electronically this way.
    Also, when I play the rendered output on Windows Media Player it stalls on two scenes and then it moves on. I don't know why.

Original footage was shot with sony ex1 1080/60i. Output needs to be pal SD
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

have the same issue here. i think the Skippy/Jumpy issue in MPEG2 files exported by premiere pro cs5 is 100% a BUGS in Premiere cs5.
    once i noticed the issue, i tried to work with various file and export to MPEG2 with various settings but still resulting the fuckin' Skippy/Jumpy.

then i tried to export to other formats than MPEG2 such as WMV, H.264, AVI or any other than MPEG2, resulted perfectly as on the preview. NO SKIPPY/JUMPY !!!

i also tried to work with those same files in GrassValley EDIUS 6.01 and Sony VEGAS Pro 11 x64, and export them to MPEG2 with various settings, those two software gave perfect outputs (each and any setting). NO SKIPPY/JUMPY !!!

but what hates me most is that i am not comfort working with Edius or Vegas.

Edius gives less quality on Tittle when i put titles on the video, while premiere gives perfect one.
    Edius also needs more time to export (render).
    what please me is i can have fullscreen preview in Edius.

while Vegas gives me nothing to like to work with.

I am much in love with Premiere Pro, with window layouts, keyboard stroke, performance, Adobe Media Encoder, etc.

i am now working on my private project clipping ELVIS PRESLEY singing scene from each of his movie which i have on dvds.
    since i cant have perfect output MPEG2 from premiere, so i export them to WMV or H.264.
    but still i am not 100% satisfy since the sound quality of WMV or H.264 are less than MPEG2 formats (for music listening).
    MPEG2 with Dolby is the most i prefer for sound quality compares to any other formats (with various settings) in Premier Pro cs5.

guess somebody needs to suggest Adobe for this BUGS.

ps: if you only like to trimming videos with no special effect, Corel DVD Movie Factory v7 gives the best MPEG2 result and exports fastest. The sound quality (with Dolby 5.1 Channels) is also the best, incomparable even by Premiere Pro cs5, Edius 6.01 or Sony Vegas Pr0 11.
    if you are a music listener you will hear the difference.

best regards,
    Ben Sailorboy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    premiere pro exports mpeg-2 just fine, it uses basically the same mainconcept based encoder as vegas and other editors. it looks like the op's problem was ntsc interlaced source material (60i) being encoded to pal (50i). there isn't any way to fix it as the encoder needs to "lose" 10 fields/sec to make the conversion which creates the problem video.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

I am also having a similar problem where the playback on DVD (PS3) is juddery (jittery) when the camera pans. Source and target are PAL (UK).

I have done the following:

- Used VirtualDub to capture video footage from an old camcorder (not digital) via EasyCap USB adapter. Here are the details of the AVI files from the capture (MediaInfo):
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 1.87 GiB
    Overall bit rate : 124 Mbps

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : YUV
    Codec ID : YUY2
    Codec ID/Info : YUV 4:2:2 as for UYVY but with different component ordering within the u_int32 macropixel
    Duration : 2mn 9s
    Bit rate : 123 Mbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Compression mode : Lossless
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 15.995
    Stream size : 1.85 GiB (99%)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Duration : 2mn 9s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 411.2 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 21.8 MiB (1%)
    Interleave, duration : 83 ms (2.08 video frames)
    Interleave, preload duration : 977 ms
    - I then edited the AVI files in Adobe Premiere CS5 to colour correct and trim unnecessary footage.

- Using Adobe Premiere, the edited sequence was exported to MPEG format to burn to DVD. MediaInfo details:
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 875 MiB
    Duration : 18mn 24s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 6 647 Kbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 4 978 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 7 000 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Bottom Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.480
    Stream size : 655 MiB (75%)

Audio
    ID : 189 (0xBD)-160 (0xA0)
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Muxing mode : DVD-Video
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Delay relative to video : -80ms
    Stream size : 202 MiB (23%)
    There are no noticeable juddering/jittering problems using VLC Media Player although WMP exhibits this issue in some areas on the PC. However, there is quite noticeable juddering when playing back on PS3 connected to a Sony Bravia HD television.

Any help or guidance is most appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if it is only because of NTSC 29fps being converted to PAL 25fps, then why other software (Edius 6, Vegas, Corel DVD Movie Factory) can do the job just 100% perfectly...???
    dont you think they suppose to result the same skippy/jumpy output then...???

the same input files and formats, the same output settings, only different tools, Premiere vs Edius,Vegas,Corel.

anybody has solution?
    i really want to have the MPEG2 output from premiere,
    please help.

regards,
    Ben Sailorboy
    Quote Quote