VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Basically, looking for a free program that allows me to change the volume of all tracks the same level during the burn or before burning it on the CD.

Also the audio is in rm format if that makes any difference.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    audacity maybe? normalize each track. if it will load rm...
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As I've said and given examples of a number of times before, Normalizing all track peaks to some set level (usually 0db) DOES NOT make all tracks SOUND the same level. That's because tracks have varying ratios of Peak-to-RMS level. You could do it that way if you want, but that probably won't get you what you really were hoping.

It would be the same as setting all videos to X Mbps bitrate to match the quality of an original track. In those cases, items with greater motion would get worse quality and items with lesser motion would get greater quality.

That's why AC3's "Dialnorm" was created, although it often gets misused.

AFAIK, there is NOTHING that has the smarts to set peak, RMS (aka average) and Peak-to-average, automatically. And you may not want to. Different kinds of music/dialog/SFX have differing dynamic range requirements. Otherwise, everything would be squeezed to sound the same, like heavily-limited FM radio stations.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you sure?... Cause I usually use Realplayer to burn my CDs and and noticed in the edit options for when burning CDs, theres an option under "Audio Filters" which says 'Make volume equal across all tracks'. You need to buy the Realplayer feature to use it though which I obviously have not got...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    normalizing to 0db does make all tracks as loud as they can be without clipping. nothing more or less. if you're not an audio engineer it's you're best shot.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Burrrn comes with a "6dB hard limiter" & gain adjustment options which may work better than a plain "normalizer", it accepts many input formats but not sure if it accepts rm, I guess you need to try it.
    Quote Quote