VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a free foreign film that I want to burn into a DVD but I've never authored with a separate subtitle file and would really appreciate some advice. I have the main films VIDEO_TS folder with VOB, IFO, BUP file's and two separate sub files for the subtitled; one named "Your Free Film.fragment" and the other named "VTS_01_0" and I assume I can use either? But I'm not sure how to burn the film onto a DVD with the subtitle file.

I have various authoring programs but experimenting with them all has left me scratching my head.

I'm far from a pro at authoring so please take that into consideration!
    Last edited by Mark97213; 19th Mar 2011 at 23:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, but you would need to do considerable homwork to do this.

You need to extract the MPEG from the VOB files, and reauthor the DVD, combining with a subtitle.

No idea what "Your Free Film.fragment" is, and "VTS_01_0" could be anything. What is the file extension?
    Quote Quote  
  3. My original files are typical VOB files for burning onto a DVD, which are in the main folder titled "Your Free Film." In that folder are 2 folders named AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS and within the VIDEO_TS folder are VOB, IFO and BUP files which if you burn onto a DVD give you the entire movie, just minus the Subtitles.

The movie also came with 1 additional folder named SUB and within are 2 files, one titled "VTS_0_0" (with extension .sub) and "Your Free Film.fragment" (with extension .sub) so I assume they are both subtitle files to use with, each for whatever method of authoring you choose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mark97213 View Post
    The movie also came with 1 additional folder named SUB and within are 2 files, one titled "VTS_0_0" (with extension .sub) and "Your Free Film.fragment" (with extension .sub) so I assume they are both subtitle files to use with, each for whatever method of authoring you choose.
    There's more than one kind of "sub" file.
    Some are text based (tens of kB) others are bitmaps(a few MB).

You need to work out which kind they are
    First, how big are they, in kb?
    Open them both with Notepad and see if there is readable text in either. If so, copy and paste a dozen lines here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Alan, thank you for helping me with this;

The first sub file "VTS_0_0" is 4640 KB - contains no readable data (using notepad)

The second sub "Your Free Film.fragment" is 54 KB - contains readable data, the first few lines are as follows:

# VobSub index file, v7 (do not modify this line!)
    #
    # To repair desyncronization, you can insert gaps this way:
    # (it usually happens after vob id changes)
    #
    # delay: [sign]hh:mms:ms
    #
    # Where:
    # [sign]: +, - (optional)
    # hh: hours (0 <= hh)
    # mm/ss: minutes/seconds (0 <= mm/ss <= 59)
    # ms: milliseconds (0 <= ms <= 999)
    #
    # Note: You can't position a sub before the previous with a negative value.
    #
    # You can also modify timestamps or delete a few subs you don't like.
    # Just make sure they stay in increasing order.

# Settings
    # Original frame size
    size: 720x480
    Quote Quote  
  6. Pretty weird. You have VobSubs, but named differently. Rename Your Free Film.fragment as VTS_0_0.idx (assuming the other one is VTS_0_0.sub. Then you'll need to add those subs to the DVD, no minor task. Here's a guide:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD

Use Method 2. Ignore the stuff about SRT files. Convert those IDX/SUB files to SUP files instantly using SubtitleCreator (File->Open Subtitle, File->Save SUP). Use the SUP in the subs section of Muxman. If this movie is 16:9, you'll have to load it twice to get rid of the error message, once for Wide, the other for LB. After Muxman gets done play it as a DVD to check if the subs got in there OK. Follow the rest of the instructions about getting the subbed DVD back into the original subless DVD (assuming you want to do that, in order to keep menus and extras). Follow the instructions having to do with 'turning on' the subs (in the Update ifo files section. When all done, fix the colors using DVDSubEdit. Test the DVD for subs before burning to disc.
    Last edited by manono; 20th Mar 2011 at 05:53. Reason: fix typo
    Quote Quote  
  7. This process is pretty straight forward and was anxious to begin. Though it appears the .sub files I have are corrupt or unusable, Using Mediainfo confirms such. But you've all given me some excellent education on the process and wanted to thank you for taking the time to help me.
    Quote Quote