VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, this is my first post here.

I have been searching forums for days and can't seem to find a solution to my problem. I have a couple of hundred MKV files. They each have 1 video stream, 3 audio streams, and one subtitle track. 2 of the audio streams are in English, while the third is in Japanese. The difference between the two English streams is that they have different music (anime). I want to switch the default audio track from the first English stream to the second one. However, I am a complete noob with this kind of stuff and have spent days playing with command lines and installing programs that I don't even know what they do.

Also, I want to be able to do this for hundreds of files. I know that I can do it for each file with MKVMerge GUI, but I don't want to do it for multiple files. I would prefer to not remux the files. However, if I have to, I will. If all that doesn't work, I'll settle with just deleting the first audio stream. However, since it needs to be done in batch, only through a command line will I be able to accomplish this.

UPDATE 1: I forgot to mention that I found this command line for FFmpeg in another thread: %%a in ("*.mkv") do "mkvmerge" -o "%%a-newvideo.mkv" "--forced-track" "2:no" "--language" "3:eng" "--default-track" "3:yes" "--forced-track" "3:no" "--display-dimensions" "3:16x9" "-a" "2" "-d" "3" "-S" "%%a" "--track-order" "0:2,0:3"

I found it here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/304766-Strip-out-an-audio-track-from-an-MKV-container

Unfortunately, it does the exact opposite of what I want. All it does is extract the audio stream that I don't want. It deletes everything else. I know that this is close and that a few edits will make it work, but I am not experienced with this at all. Please help me.

UPDATE 2: I was able to accomplish my task using the previous command for FFmpeg, but I had to change the stream numbers a little bit. However, what basically happens is the streams that I don't want defaulted are deleted. This includes one of the English streams, the Japanese stream, and the subtitles. So, would it be possible for me to specify the tracks that I want to keep?
    Last edited by ballsoup; 20th Mar 2011 at 16:31.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Anyone?...
    Last edited by ballsoup; 20th Mar 2011 at 16:31.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright let me guess: You got the Dragon Ball Z remastered DVD's and decided to rip them for watching them conveniently on your computer, but the stupid software only lets you do it mkv format because of multiple audio streams. You want to watch the FUNimation dub with Faulconer music, but end up with the other American voice/ Japanese music since it's default, so you end up with 291 mkv's with 3 audio tracks in each one.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM OMG!

I used MKV cleaver to do the trick by separating the tracks I want from all the files at once. Then I used MKVMerge GUI to mux all the files individually.

I hope it works for you, and enjoy watching DBZ!
    Quote Quote  
  4. You may want to use MKVMergeGUI to remux a single MKV while changing the default audio stream. Save it as a new MKV. Then try making the audio stream you wish to have as default one the first audio stream (MKVMergeGUI will let you re-order the streams). Save it as a new MKV. Try playing both MKVs with your media player. It's quite possible the player will ignore the default audio stream flag and simply play the first audio stream it finds unless you tell it to play another one (assuming it actually lets you pick audio streams in an MKV).

The point of my post is to point out that simply changing the default flag could be pointless. You might either need to remux while changing the order of the audio streams or remux just keeping the audio stream you actually want. I've remuxed MKVs using this version of ffmpeg http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152419 but while I've used it to copy streams, I don't know how to use it to copy only a particular audio stream or re-order them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mkvmerge ... add affected mkv and highlight the english track then set audio parameter to "default" = yes ... let it run output to another folder ... test ... if ok then repeat using batch mode.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by abckookooman View Post
    Alright let me guess: You got the Dragon Ball Z remastered DVD's and decided to rip them for watching them conveniently on your computer, but the stupid software only lets you do it mkv format because of multiple audio streams. You want to watch the FUNimation dub with Faulconer music, but end up with the other American voice/ Japanese music since it's default, so you end up with 291 mkv's with 3 audio tracks in each one.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM OMG!

I used MKV cleaver to do the trick by separating the tracks I want from all the files at once. Then I used MKVMerge GUI to mux all the files individually.

I hope it works for you, and enjoy watching DBZ!
    HOLY COW, are you some sort of wizard? You're right!

Thanks guys for your suggestions, but I solved my problem long ago. I did this by using MKVMerge GUI. I manually did it for one episode and then I copied the command line text. I then modified it to make it work in batch, by making a few changes to the title name.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So did you fix it by changing the default audio track flag, by remuxing while changing the order of the audio streams, or by remuxing while keeping only the audio you wanted?
    I'm just curious to know what the "fix" was which fixed it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    So did you fix it by changing the default audio track flag, by remuxing while changing the order of the audio streams, or by remuxing while keeping only the audio you wanted?
    I'm just curious to know what the "fix" was which fixed it.
    I basically just dragged one of the videos into mkvmerge GUI. I then unchecked the two tracks that I didn't want. I then clicked on "Muxing" and selected "Show the command line." I copied the command line, and replaced the entire path to the file, with the file name itself with:
    for %%a in ("*.mkv") do "mkvmerge" -o "%%a_" "
    I then copied this to a text file and renamed it to .bat, placing it in the folder with the videos. Finally, I executed it and renamed the muxed files using VB Script. I was pretty happy. Good thing batch processing exists!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    NOOB HERE!

Hey there, i have never ripped any dvds before and i just got all the season of dbz on dvd and i wanna put them on my harddrive so i can stream them to my ps3 to watch (that way dont have to get up and change discs :P) and i also what them to have the american music since thats what i grew up watching on tv so i dont want the same problem as above. i have tryed ripping them but i think im doing it wrong if someone could PLEASE! help us out step by step specifically to the dbz that would be a huge help, maybe is someone could screen shot it, or even video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I also want the best quality also i dont want the vids to worse than the dvd
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I actually made a video of myself doing this with a batch file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHTlQ61AaIE

It should be incredibly easy to follow along with. Hope it helps.
    Quote Quote  
  12. just had this problem half an hour ago, googled, found an open source app. Portable and has 2 .exe GUI. One to extract video & audio track(s), another (mmg.exe) to combine video & extracted audio file(s) you like into a new mkv. Apart from setting correct default audio, by removing unwanted audio track, my mkv became smalller size too.

http://www.dvd-guides.com/files/mkvtoolnix_dvd-guides.com.zip
    more here:
    https://mkvtoolnix.download/

guide:
    http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/video-edit/157-how-to-extract-video-audio-or-subtitle...roska-mkv-file

Good luck.
    Quote Quote