VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Salutations

Ive joined the forum to get a little bit of help from some clued up video people. Basically Im going for job as an AV engineer (entry-level / full training provided) and Im mainly an audio guy. Its definitely my strong suit but I have picked up a reasonable amount of video skills along the way. So after getting through the first round of recruitment (i.e. CV) they have emailed me a simple test with 3 still images from videos asking me to identify the problems. Im pretty sure I know the answer for 2 of them but am a little unsure on the first one. In short Im going to post the three images and my answers to them and would like some feedback from people if I am correct and if not some advice / knowledge / links to knowledge so that I can see where I am going wrong. See attached Images.

Image 1 - This is the one I am unsure about. I think it is originally a 16:9 vidoe that has been converted to 4:3 (the frame we are looking at is definitely 4:3 right?) This has created the letterboxing on the top and bottom of the screen. It also looks like it has been stretched vertically thou as well. Like I said very unsure about this one.

Image 2 - Window boxing effect (i.e. pillarboxing / letterboxing simultaneously). The original footage was probably 16:9 aspect ratio and converted to 4:3 letterbox (which introduced the black lines along the top and bottom to maintain aspect ratio. This 4:3 letter box has now been displayed on a 16:9 screen which has compensated by adding the pillarboxing along the left and right of the screen resulting in a black border around the video.

Image 3 - Requires De-Interlacing. Interlaced footage that hasn't been deinterlaced is being shown in a progressive format (tell tale signs the ghosty blurry edges of thh 2 jetskiiers in the background

Thank you for your time and any help you can give

Sancho Panza
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image01.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	6071  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image02.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	6072  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image03.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	6073  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my guesses

1 - shown as 16/9 on a 4:3 screen, video looks like it should be 2.35/1 creating bigger bars. something circular would help though.

2- your answer works

3- i'd go with wrong field order causing parts of 2 different frames to combine into one. tff should be bff or the other way round.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply aedipuss.

Could you explain in a bit more detail what you mean by your first answer.

Also re: the third answer so I was right in that it is a deinterlacing issue its just that I didnt identify the field order issue. Can you say how you can recognize this? Also if I was deinterlacing video how would I chaneg the field order. I mainly use apple's compressor for this so if you have ino on how to do it on that program it would be good.

Again thankyou for the reply though
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, photo 1 is a 2.35:1 movie letterboxed for display on a 16:9 TV then resized to a 4:3 display.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    photo one could have been created many ways, but it appears it's a 2:35/1 movie being shown incorrectly in 16/9 format in a 4:3 display.

to fix 3 if you didn't have the original source, you'd need to separate fields, delete the first field and re-combine. field order 1,2 1,2 1,2 would become 2,1 2,1 2,1 etc. sorry i'm not an apple user, can't help with compressor.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. The first photo was probably a 2.35:1 movie letterboxed in a PAL 16:9 DVD frame(720x576, 5:4), then resized to 432x346 (5:4).

The third image was blend deinterlaced. There's no way of knowing if the video you started with was that way or if it was your processing to produce the sample image.
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Mar 2011 at 15:39.
    Quote Quote