VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Teac A3300SX Reel to Reel tape deck. In the manual, it lists 7 and 10.5 inch tapes but not 5-inch tapes. My question is, does anyone know if I can play a 5-inch tape on this machine?

Info:
    - the 5-inch tape fits on the spindles on the deck
    - I am afraid of breaking the tape, so I wont try it unless someone who knows can tell me.
    - tape is 5 inches in diameter
    - Teac A3300SX 1/2 track stereo model

Thanks for any info...

-Dave
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Won't be any problem at all.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 5"? Are you measuring length or girth?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Really. There is no such thing as 5" tape. Stop measuring the spool and measure the actual tape width.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by chowmein View Post
    5"? Are you measuring length or girth?
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Really. There is no such thing as 5" tape. Stop measuring the spool and measure the actual tape width.
    I specified in my original post that I am referring to diameter.

Thanks to darknight145. That's one vote. Anyone else (who can read) care to chime in?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use the small reel switch to reduce winding torque. The button is next to the power switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7000030963600if.jpg
Views:	1657
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	6033
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Do also need to use a small take-up reel? 7"? 5"?

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daave View Post
    Do also need to use a small take-up reel? 7"? 5"?

Thanks...
    Yes. Otherwise the reel brakes will be uneven.

A normal 7" reel would work fine. Just don't mix small and large NARTB hub reels.
    Last edited by edDV; 16th Mar 2011 at 00:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yea....the diameter of the spool.....which is infinitely less important than the width of the tape that the machine is able to play.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Yea....the diameter of the spool.....which is infinitely less important than the width of the tape that the machine is able to play.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for the info, edDV. Will give it a try. Just have to find a small take-up reel first...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Follow Up:

Works out that I have two empty 10" reels, so I ran the 5" reel onto the one of the 10" reels (directly from spool to spool, bypassing the heads etc.) and then played it as normal. When I was done, I put it back onto the 5" reel.

Also, upon closer inspection, I noticed that the hub of a 5" reel is the same size as the hub of a 10" reel (and presumably a 7.5" reel). I had assumed the hub sizes would be different. My concern had been that the feed reel would not rotate fast enough to feed the capstan or the take-up reel, resulting in breakage. However, since the hubs are the same size, I have no doubt that darkknight145 and edDV were right, I could have done it with smaller reels. Don't forget, of course, that as edDV said, you would want to use the "small" reel setting, because even though the hubs are same size, there is a torque difference.

Thanks to all who responded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Follow Up:

Works out that I have two empty 10" reels, so I ran the 5" reel onto the one of the 10" reels (directly from spool to spool, bypassing the heads etc.) and then played it as normal. When I was done, I put it back onto the 5" reel.

Also, upon closer inspection, I noticed that the hub of a 5" reel is the same size as the hub of a 10" reel (and presumably a 7.5" reel). I had assumed the hub sizes would be different. My concern had been that the feed reel would not rotate fast enough to feed the capstan or the take-up reel, resulting in breakage. However, since the hubs are the same size, I have no doubt that darkknight145 and edDV were right, I could have done it with smaller reels. Don't forget, of course, that as edDV said, you would want to use the "small" reel setting, because even though the hubs are same size, there is a torque difference.

Thanks to all who responded.
    The issue isn't with play but fast forward/reverse. The extra mass in the 10" metal reel needs different torque and braking. A worn deck will spill tape on the floor from a fast wind stop in small reel setting. In large reel setting you are risking a tape stretch. Either will cause extra wear to the deck.

You are working with an antique deck that probably can't be fixed. Don't stress it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. My problem also has to do with tape spool size: I have 4 15-inch recordings from a local university radio station. 4 15-inch reels of my reading my own poetry (recorded from live performance). They are 1/4 inch tapes. The box says they are recorded at 7 1/2 in/second.

I have a nice old Teac 7 inch reel to reel tape recorder. Can I somehow wind the 15 inch reels onto an empty 7 inch reel and hopefully play it on my Teac? And then at long last get the audio onto my computer for editing?

If this is possible, it seems to me the only problem is how to get the tape onto the 7 inch reels since, obviously, I don't have a 15" tape machine.

Thank you for this forum.

larry goodell in placitas, new mexico
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	larry goodell 15 inch recordings 1977.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	16842  

Quote Quote  
  15. How are you going to fit 15" of tape on a reel half that size? Even if you cut the tape, you are going to need 2 take-up reels. My suggestion is to roll those tapes on a machine that was made for 15" reels. If you lok around on craigslist or eBay you should be able to find one. Alternatively, send those reels to someone who can do them on the right machine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are basically 2 kinds of reels: 3" or 5" or 7" reels with small hubs, and 10" or 15" reels with large hubs (& a few exceptions like the aformentioned 5" reel w/large hub). Assuming you have enough to spool onto without it overflowing & spilling off the reel, you can mix & match a 3" with a 5" or a 7", so you can use a 3" source reel and a 7" takeup reel. Because the hub sizes (and torque) are the same (well, there is some torque difference because of the mass, but it shouldn't matter unless you have a BAD deck).
    But you shouldn't mix & match large hub reels with small hub reels, because there is noticeably different torque on the reels and you could SNAP the tape! (I've seen it happen).

Tension on R2Rs is different when in PLAY/RECORD mode vs. FF/RW. So you can use FF/RW to spool off onto a differently sized reel. But there are still hazards. In fact, the best tape decks actually have a spooling function (and usually a 1ReelOn:1ReelOff dump function), to better facilitate this.

If you are VERY worried about this, I would recommend MANUALLY spooling from one reel type/size to another. YES: this will take a long time. Get over it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. great suggestions daave & Cornucopia, many thanks -- my best choice will be trying to locate a 15" reel to reel machine and if that fails I may have to send them off to be done . . .

another task I have is getting these Sony 5 in r to r video tapes converted . . . looks like this may end up costing a fortune. I will search for info in this useful forum or if you have any links I'd appreciate.
    Again,
    yours gratefully,
    larry in NM
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	002 resize.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	16847  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Good God, are those 2" Quad tapes? Either that or whatever that prosumer R2R precursor to U-matic was...

Yeah, the only way you will get those done is to send them off to a lab that has those machines. That's rare! (So, yes, it probably will cost $$$).

Good luck.

Scott
    Quote Quote