VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm looking for software that will backup a bluray title to BD-9 (avchd). I've been reading these forums til I canne read no more. One things for sure, there's more video software than you can shake a stick at. Some free, some needing a license, some that works, and some that claims to work but needs a week of evenings and the consumption of 500 posts before you even get close to working.....I know becuase I've been downloading all the free stuff, and it doesn't work for me.

I've decided I don't want to play with half a dozen utilities, each with their own support board and issue list, I'll pay for something that works out the box.

From what I can see so far:

1. "DVDFab bluray copy" will remove the encryption and copy protection on a BD disc, and then re-compress it down to a DVD-9 in one step whereas; (60 USD)

2. Anydvd HD will only remove the encryption and copy protection on a BD disc. (79 Euros)

Is this correct?

If the above is correct, then DVD Fab would appear to be the better option (all other things being equal) as it also does the compression, and it's cheaper for me in the UK (US exchange rate better then euro).

I'm assuming that DVD Fab can decrypt BD titles just as well as AnyDVD (?)

Would anyone agree before I make the purchase?

By my understanding, I'm going to have to buy one or the other in order to get round the BD copy protection. I don't want to start an argument between DVDFab and AnyDVD camps, I'm just looking for software that works.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You have to pay more than that for both products to get free lifetime upgrades and without the upgrades, you could eventually run into a BD disc that can't be decrypted correctly.

I've only recently gotten a PC even capable of playing BD discs so I'm interested to see if there's any consensus as to one over the other.

By the way, the more cores you have and the faster your PC, the quicker the compression will be to BD-9 size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There are many Blu-Ray decrypters/rippers on offer, but AFAIK the only worthwhile ones are on the rather short list available over there <--- in the Tools section. I have used them all, at least the trials. So here goes:

Free:

1) DumpHD. Forget about it unless you want to search for decryption keys. Difficult to use, my impression is that it's more of a proof-of-concept than a useful tool.
    2) DVDFabHDDecrypter, the free version of DVDFab. While other functions such as re-encoding are disabled, the decryption works fine. Supposedly updates lag behind the pay version, but I haven't found that to be so, maybe it is. Anyone unsure what to buy should use this in the meantime at least, while trying the trials of other decrypters.

Driver Level, Payware:

1) AnyDVDHD. This one's first-class, and many folks think it's the best of the bunch.
    2) DVDFabPasskey. Very similar to AnyDVDHD. I used it a lot while it was beta and think it too is first-class.

Payware:

1) DVDFab. Decryption is fine, but to my mind the other functions can be done better with free tools available here. I've used the re-encoding function and find it inferior to all the free tools using the X264 Encoder, BDRB for example.
    2) MakeMKV. This is your baby if you want MKVs. I've found it to be somewhat quirky, early versions buggered subtitles, maybe no longer the case. Nevertheless, it's been developed steadily and is fairly reliable.

I would advise using DVDFabHDDecrypter for the time being. Give the trials of the other ones a go and decide for yourself. Good luck.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 15th Mar 2011 at 19:01.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I own both AnyDVDHD & DVDFabHDDecryptor Bluray to Bluray. I don't really use the DVDFab because I thought the end product PQ was inferior to AnyDVDHD with BDRebuilder. True it takes an extra step but to me it's worth it. DVDFab seems like a rip-off to me because they make you pay extra for every feature. To me, when you pay a hundred bucks for software like that, all the top features should be included. They nickel & dime you to death. Try both in the trial version and make up your own mind.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  5. I agree with ricoman. I bought dvd fab first, then realized that I had to pay more for "other" features. So, I bought anydvd with lifetime upgrades. When I bought it, it was around $120. Far better than what I would be "nickel & dimed" with dvd fab!

My three step process is:

1. decrypt with anydvd
    2. re-encode with bdrb
    3. burn with imgburn

Both bdrb and imgburn are freeware, but I highly recommend donating money to them so that they can keep their products at the top of the class.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member 1st class
    Search Comp PM
    I have bought both products and my conclusion is that AnyDVD HD does the better job ripping a full Blu-Ray to hard drive, and from that point there are endless free products to do whatever you want. What is particularly impressive is that when I buy a marquee release on Tuesday which has a new key introduced, AnyDVD is already prepared for it an alerts you to download the update.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I also agree with previous comments. Using Avatar as my test disc I tried various programs to make BD9, MKV and AVI. Tried DVDFab to different formats and was disappointed. Plus most programs struggle to handle the forced subtitles. A BD9 made with BDRB looked stunning on my 40 inch LCD and got the subs right. I was amazed at the quality retained compressing such a long movie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrswla View Post

My three step process is:

1. decrypt with anydvd
    2. re-encode with bdrb
    3. burn with imgburn

Both bdrb and imgburn are freeware, but I highly recommend donating money to them so that they can keep their products at the top of the class.
    My process exactly. Has worked for me every time. And I do recommend sending a few bucks to BDRB & Imgburn. 2 free products that work better than all the payfer products.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm trying DVDFab and BDRB now.

[1:40min 1080p movie only] DVDFab with lightning encoding: 1 hour .
    [1:40min 1080p movie only] DVDFab without lightning encoding: 2hrs 40 mins.
    [1:40min 1080p movie only] BDRB 2 pass high quality encoding: 3 hours.

I'm surprised the process was so quick. I only have a 4 core AMD system. I expected it to take longer after reading other web reports (not complaining though).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well, after some days of encoding at various resolutions using both programs, I would have to agree with most of the opinions on here; BDRebuilder produces better results (High quality, two pass encoding).

At 1080P BD-R 25GB the results are the best.
    Next up is 720P DVD9, but BDRebuilder had problems shrinking the subtitles (they appeared, but were very large). DVDFab at this resolution didn't include any subs at all by contrast.

One thing you need to be aware of, is a feature called lightning encoding in DVDFab (enabled by default). It speeds up encoding, but boy, does it introduce lots of artifacts into the picture. I tried with and without.

I also tried 480P DVD9, 1080P DVD9. If you're a movie quality fan, and have a very good set up (1080P projector, blacked out cinema room), then I wouldn't bother with these configurations. I suppose everyone has different ideas about 'quality', but at 1080P on a DVD9, duiring the dark scenes, I could see blocking and banding (1hr40min movie). Light scenes were fine.

With branded BD-R media now at 1 GBP per disc, I wonder if it's even worth the bother to shrink to DVD9. I suppose DVD-9 (8GB) configurations have applications with the media server crowd (to save hard disk space).
    Last edited by Killingtime01; 18th Mar 2011 at 20:06.
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's not unusual to have a problem with subtitles not resizing properly when re-encoding to 720p. It's not BDRB's fault.

Just demux the subs, resize them with BDSup2Sub, then remux.

For most movies, it's not necessary to resize to 720p if the target size is BD9. Try it yourself and see. Compare to a BD25 encode. Now, if your target size is BD5, unless the movie is fairly short, that's different.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote