VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm a newcomer to this topic.
    I wonder what are the professional DVD authoring Software nowadays?
    'Professional' means that the software can create DVD disc same as we bought in DVD stores.
    Would u guys give me some suggestions??
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And even if you use the software that Baldrick suggests (there are equivalents and a whole lot cheaper) you will NOT create a dvd like those sold in shops.

Reason: Disks sold in shops are pressed by a duplicating plant whereas the one you will create will be burnt by a DVD-burner. Pedantic I know but that is a simple fact.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    And even if you use the software that Baldrick suggests (there are equivalents and a whole lot cheaper) you will NOT create a dvd like those sold in shops.

Reason: Disks sold in shops are pressed by a duplicating plant whereas the one you will create will be burnt by a DVD-burner. Pedantic I know but that is a simple fact.
    Well, I know.
    Someone told me that a DLT tape should be encored to produce professional DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kei_siuip View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Well, I know.
    Someone told me that a DLT tape should be encored to produce professional DVD.
    Correct. But you would need some quite expensive hardware if you were to use that tape to create your own disk.

An authoring package such as scenarist (ulead dvd workshop could also create one) will record the 'image' on to a DLT tape which is then sent to that dvd duplicating plant.
    Quote Quote  
  7. How about subtitling??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about subtitling??
    What about subtitling ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use two programs. Pinnacle Studio HD for storyboard editing (with subtitling), transitions and other special effects. Then I use TMPGEnc Works 4 for making both DVD's and Blu-Ray disc's. Both are easy to learn and fun to use.
    If it feels good, do it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Backpain View Post
    I use two programs. Pinnacle Studio HD for storyboard editing (with subtitling), transitions and other special effects. Then I use TMPGEnc Works 4 for making both DVD's and Blu-Ray disc's. Both are easy to learn and fun to use.
    But would either be classified as 'Professional' ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    How about subtitling??
    What about subtitling ?
    Any software that I can use to do subtitling with a video file (avi, mov, mepg)??
    And convert it into DVD??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if you check the tools (link already posted) section for dvd-authoring you will see that most, if not all, can do subtitling.

The point is that most can not be considered as 'Professional' ie used to create those disks that your original post refers to. Most are consumer level applications and some are 'prosumer' which lies somewhere between professional and consumer.

And if you want software that will create a DLT then your choice is quite limited - maybe 3 or 4 from the list of 42 (subject to whether you will be using a PC or a Mac).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Scenarist and Ulead DVD Workshop 2 allow subtitles to be created or edited, but the consumer authoring programs I have tried expect pre-made subtitles to be provided as .sup files or in some cases, accept them in one or two other formats.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Professional" is a reflection on the quality of work from a person.

Tools are just tools. Some meet the needs of professional work, most do not. All of my DVDs are authored with DVD Studio Pro (now part of Final Cut Studio) on Mac, or Ulead DVD Workshop 2 on Windows. Sometime I'll even use TMPGEnc Authoring Works for menu-less discs, because it's easy.

You also don't need DLT. A lot of places will let you submit on DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R DL or even hard drive ISO files. DLT is dated.

For example: http://newcyberian.com/dvd9rom.html#
    We accept either playable DVD±R or 2 DLT Tapes (one for layer-0 and one for layer-1) as master for your DVD-9 replication order. This applies to orders that need CSS or without CSS.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 16th Mar 2011 at 07:27.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well, for example, if I have a dialoge script, and a video file (mpeg, avi, mov, etc), so I want to do subtitling of this video file. Which software should I use for subtitling?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, for example, if I have a dialoge script, and a video file (mpeg, avi, mov, etc), so I want to do subtitling of this video file. Which software should I use for subtitling?
    All the subtitle creation tools I know of that are not part of an authoring package are freeware, There is quite a collection of them in the VideoHelp tools section. Only some allow the use of non-western character sets, and I can't tell you which ones do. I only work with English language subtitles, and I can't remember which stand-alone subtitling tools allow alternate character sets.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Mar 2011 at 22:40. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by Backpain View Post
    But would either be classified as 'Professional' ?
    If you actually look at what is sold in stores you would see there is no such thing as "Professional"!

You need to find what you want and need that does what you want done.

Professional meaning what is sold in stores means......

Disk is ratting loose in sealed case, only one they have so go to service desk and have them check the loose disk for scratches, see that the never been opened case has a broken disk holder already. Very common with Professional cases

Buy a series set and it has no PLAY ALL option so you have to play each episode 1 at a time, the menu does not move forward to next episode like many do so pressing Play starts the same one you just watched!

Set the sound either way to high or way to low for the default so people either get blasted out of the room now when disk starts, or they adjust sound up high for this disk so they can hear it and the next one they watch will blast them out.

Make sure to use disks that are plain silver on both sides and in a tiny band in the center of a one sided disk use text size small enough to write on a grain of rice the title, and maybe disk number if a set.
    If this is a set of 4 disks use a case with very bad disk holders so when people open the case at least 3 disks fall out, let them worry about how to figure out which disk is what since they can't read the tiny print in the black band!

Put as menu default Scene Selection instead of PLAY Movie, make sure to only play the scene selected so if people just choose scene one that is all that plays. That way they can't just hit play for scene 1 and watch the whole movie. This is also a good trick if a person wants to start at scene 6, only play scene 6 then give them back the menu. If they want to watch the movie starting from scene 6 then let them figure out they have to Play Movie then skip chapters to the point they want to start!

Use stupid terms that mean nothing to normal people instead of Play or Select Scene

Make the menu's extra loud so if people want to watch a movie while they fall asleep the menu will be sure to wake them, let it play forever after the movie ends till people wake up and do something to shut it off.

Use weird and strange fonts in a color similar to back ground to prevent people from actually being able to read the menu choices and let them just guess which one plays the movie. Hide Play somewhere in middle also.

For Special Features put it in Main menu on disk one, when selected play loud annoying LOGO video for 1-2 minutes then put image on screen that says " Insert Disk 2 for Special Features"..

Put a 90 minute new movie onto a DVD9 in VHS quality.

When authoring or editing be sure to have several scenes with jumpy jerky flickering video to simulate fast action, probably cut every other frame or 3rd frame out to do this. So like if 30 frames per second you cut every 3rd frame and fit 45 frames of action into 30 frames! Be sure to follow the Professional newer trends, make fast action annoying to watch!

To make Professional disks and package them professionally as bought in stores do everything you can that seems stupid and annoying and use the junkiest cases you can find.

Do at least 1 of the above, preferably 3 or more, or you will not have a Profession product as found in stores!
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IS there one that can do multiple menus? Submenus? Allows sound in the background and click able links? Thank you John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RBCC View Post
    IS there one that can do multiple menus? Submenus? Allows sound in the background and click able links? Thank you John
    You dig up a 2 year old topic to ask this ?
    Quote Quote  
  20. You can go through the posts above. Nothing's changed. Don't know why DVD Architect wasn't mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Adobe Encore. You can't do advanced techniques like resume with it, but it has tight integration with Photoshop and it's easy to use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MindController View Post
    Adobe Encore. You can't do advanced techniques like resume with it, but it has tight integration with Photoshop and it's easy to use.
    It also has some unexplained restrictions, like limiting the total number of buttons in a 16:9 menu to just 17 (more in a 4:3, don't know the exact number).
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    It also has some unexplained restrictions, like limiting the total number of buttons in a 16:9 menu to just 17 (more in a 4:3, don't know the exact number).
    The DVD specs limit the number of buttons for 16:9 menus to 18 (12 if you're using both Pan And Scan and Letterbox) and 36 for 4:3 menus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    The DVD specs limit the number of buttons for 16:9 menus to 18 (12 if you're using both Pan And Scan and Letterbox) and 36 for 4:3 menus.
    Thanks for that. I always thought it was an Encore thing. Is the same true for blu-ray menus?
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    Is the same true for blu-ray menus?
    Sorry, but I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
  26. BTW, Adobe stopped developing Encore (There is no CC version) - because they think optical media is dying

Is the Encore CS6 version the final release of this product?

Yes. The trend in the video and broadcast industry is moving away from physical media distribution. The
    future is in cloud and streaming content. Therefore we are focusing more on products that deliver to
    streaming services. For example, Adobe Media Encoder and Adobe Premiere Pro CC include a new
    feature allowing users to create iPad-ready video with QuickTime chapter markers. The Encore CS6
    version will be the final release of this product.
    Quote Quote