VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i am converting my dvd's to avi to save on storage. i am using autogk by far the best encoding program out there to bad it's not updated anymore. but my question is when i use auto settings it conerts the vob file from 720x480 to 720x544, is that normal? also why dose it do that and not keep the original 720x480?

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    720x544 is not normal. I have never used autogk to my memory.

I'd recommend looking into format factory if you want an updated conversion software. (freeware of course) (they will have to be ripped on the harddrive first though - I don't know if autogk rips directly from the dvd then converts - format factory does not as far as I know).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. i have used format factory, i get sync issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has limited output formats but ripbot264 is good and xvid4psp may also meet your needs.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    720x544 is not normal..
    Of course it is. It's what you get when resizing a 4:3 1.33:1 movie to a 720 width and Mod16 resolution.
    Originally Posted by maxone71 View Post
    when i use auto settings it conerts the vob file from 720x480 to 720x544, is that normal? also why dose it do that and not keep the original 720x480?
    DVDs use non-square pixels or, put another way, the source 720x480 isn't 'normal' looking. People are slightly too short and fat in a 4:3 NTSC DVD. If you were playing it as a DVD the picture would be resized so things did look 'normal'. AutoGK also resizes it so people look 'normal' again.
    Quote Quote