VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi there, i was capturing a video with camstudio when the program seemed to crash. i looked around and found a temp .avi file a little over 4gb in size, and tried to open it. in the properties, it definitely says it is a .avi file and it has the .avi extension, but every program i have tried to use does not recognize it as an .avi. i tried playing in every player including vlc, and i tried a number of .avi splitters, fixers etc., and each one says the same thing basically: "this is not a .avi video" if you have any idea how to fix the file so it is recognized, i would really appreciate the knowledge.

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please do not cross post. I deleted your other thread.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok sorry, didn't know
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, tried it. tried messing with some settings too as i read to do in a post somewhere else. still just says: "the file "c:\....filename.avi" is of an unknown or unsupported file type."

since camstudio crashed, was it maybe saved to the temp folder incorrectly? i tried putting it in notepad just to look (i can't code things) and the file size was too big for that. i also noticed that in the properties, it says it is an avi file and has the .avi extension, but there is no information in the video details (length, frame width, etc.)

i guess i'm just hoping that 4gb of info can somehow be made to be readable, even if i have to learn some basic stuff about headers and whatnot
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VirtualDub reconstructs headers when they're corrupted. I think your AVI is hosed.
    Quote Quote