VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope this forum is for this type problem. If not I apologize up front.

I have two video projectors. On the back of Projector 1 is a VGA in and a VGA out. I plugged a VGA cable from P1 VGA out to the VGA in of P2. I plugged a VGA cable from the laptop to the VGA in port on P1. Powered up everything and it worked find.

I mounted the projectors from the ceiling, plugged them into outlets, connected the cables as described above and when the cable was plugged into the laptop, there was an electrical arc that was strong enough that it burned some of the pins off of the VGA cable. The laptop is apparently fried and P1 is either fried or the bulb blown. P2 seems ok. At least it powers up to the logo screen. But I am afraid to plug a laptop up to it to try it.

Also, an RCA cable was run from the video in plug on P2. This was going to be plugged into a DVD player but while moving equipment to get ready to plug it in, the end of the cable bumped a piece of metal on the amplifier and it arced as well.

Any ideas where to start diagnosing where this electrical problem is coming from or what could be causing it? P1 has been in use for several months, P2 is new and only been used for about 1 month.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. I am completely stumped.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This happened when you plugged the cables in while everything was turned OFF ?

Or did you have any of the components running while you did it ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The arc of the RCA cable - everything was off. The projector was plugged in but not powered up. The amplifier was not only turned off but was on a power strip that was turned off as well. When the computer was plugged in, both projectors were on and the computer was on.

PS. I am not sure why the word "arc" above became a link to another web-site.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    arc is an acronym for AVI ReComp and our forum software links to the program when it sees a software title or acronym for one. You can prevent that by checking 'Disable automatic tool link' in the advanced posting mode. I did with this post. But normally, not a problem.

I would definitely get your outlets checked as that would also be my suspicion that a wire is reversed. You're probably lucky you didn't touch the pins of that cable while you were grounded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I think one of the power outlets is wired backwards.
    http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Receptacle-Outlet-Ground-Tester/dp/B0012DHVQ0/
    You can buy these things locally, I got mine at Radio Shack

Click image for larger version

Name:	plugtest.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	5941
    Quote Quote  
  6. I checked the outlets for GGARLAND and they were backwards. After I rewired them they are still having an arcing issue. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since you had everything working at the beginning , when the projectors were plugged for test, I assume that the power was coming from the same plug. After you mounted them on the ceiling, it is quite possible that that plug is on different phase.
    Try to run everithing from one plug, using extension cord if needed and see if it fixes the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Are all the plugs three prong with proper grounds?
    Quote Quote