VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have made a bunch of recordings on my DVD recorder, and I have converted those videos into MPG files. The MPG files seem a bit too large though - for example, a 45 minute MPG file with 480i resolution is 3.1 GB in size.

For comparison purposes, I have other videos that seem to be better compressed - for example, a 58 minute MP4 file with 1280x720 resolution is only 2.0 GB in size. Would trying to convert my MPG files into MP4 files be able to shrink them substantially? I have FFmpeg, so I wonder what kind of command line I can use to do that, if it is possible.

Another idea I have is to combine all my DVD recordings into one huge 30 GB DVD - I think I can combine them all in DVD Shrink without using any compression, and then I'll try DVD-Rebuilder to shrink it down to a 8.5 GB DVD without losing too much quality (I hope). Then I can split out all the recordings back to separate MPG files again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    30GB to dual layer DVD without losing too much quality?....are you serious?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can get around 2 hours of decent quality in a 4.3GB blank, maybe a little more if you are happy to drop the quality, or if the source is really good. You cannot compare the quality and size of H.264 encoded material against Mpeg-2. The compressions schemes are too different. If you want to create a DVD Video disc then you have to use mpeg-2 and work (realistically) within those limitations.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote