VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Im trying to convert a movie as an .mp4 into an AVCHD file. I heard that by doing this I can then burn the movie on to a dual layer dvd and still keep the HD quality as long as it is played in a BluRay Player. I was told to use multiAVCHD to convert the file, but when I do this, the file converts to a .mpls file. I was wondering if someone has any steps on how to convert it properly using this program and also how to finally burn it using Imgburn on the dual layer dvd.

Thanks In Advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Falco21, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Keep in mind, MP4 is a container. It depends what's in it, and it may, or may not be blu-ray compliant. Even if it has H.264 video inside, which is one of the blu-ray video formats, that is still no guarantee it will play - it still has to be with certain specs (resolution, fps, b-frames, hrd, delimiters, etc.).

Even AVCHD, or any video format on blank DvD is not blu-ray compliant. It either has to be a feature your player supports, or you may be lucky if your player is lenient.

Having said that, you have two options. You can remultiplex the video and audio that's in the MP4 into a blu-ray structure and hope for the best, or you can re-encode it for a "guarantee", which takes time and loses some quality.

Depending what's in the MP4, multiAVCHD can do both. It would help if you cut and paste a MediaInfo report so we can give you better advice on what's in the MP4.

Also, there are plenty of great guides that will walk you through step-by-step on using multiAVCHD and Imgburn if you do a search.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry about the title. Won't happen again.
    Let me also be more clear. The movie seems to be in 720p and im trying to burn it on a dual layer dvd without loosing any quality. Here is the mediainfo I think you were talking about

General
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom
    File size : 1.80 GiB
    Duration : 1h 28mn
    Overall bit rate : 2 916 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2010-12-25 18:30:57
    Tagged date : UTC 2010-12-25 18:30:57

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=4, N=22
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 2 512 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 13.3 Mbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 528 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.155
    Stream size : 1.55 GiB (86%)
    Writing library : x264 core 104 r1677 19df41a
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=2512 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Encoded date : UTC 2010-12-25 03:33:06
    Tagged date : UTC 2010-12-25 18:36:18

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 401 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 418 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 253 MiB (14%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2010-12-25 18:35:10
    Tagged date : UTC 2010-12-25 18:36:18
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by falco21
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 528 pixels
    The resolution is out of spec. This appears to be cropped. It should read 1280x720 not 1280x528. There will have to be some kind of conversion - matting at the very least which means a reencode.

You should not get a mpls or whatever file out of multiavhcd if you did it right.

Select avchd as your output for dvdr media - in the newest version its the middle option on the left of the output selection screen.

The quality change upon a reencode should be minimal to correct it to 1280x720. Actually it should keep it 16:9 for the output so it should only re-pad it to play properly - but that is still altering the video.

WIth the avchd output selected you will get a bdmv folder that will contain a stream folder with the m2ts files inside it. Its a "baby" version of bluray. As Puzzler mentioned you have to find out if your player supports avchd or not - most should but you need to know ahead of time - ps3's do fyi.

----------------------------

I always mention this - You can always stream to your player if it can play files off a network. Lan connections are best as wifi can lead to buffering issues. But transcoding software like ps3mediaserver, playon or tversity can make the file playable on your player without altering the original file in realtime - so long as you meet the minimum computer requirements for the streaming programs - faster is always better.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you so much yoda313. I tried it again and yes it was in streams as an m2ts file. I am going to use XviD4PSP first to reencode it, then convert it again. When it finally is converted to a m2ts file which program to you prefer to burn it to a dual layer dvd? and keep the HD quality?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am going to use XviD4PSP first to reencode it, then convert it again.
    ?!?!?!

you should start over with your original file. You still have it don't you?

You would load that into multiavchd and go again.

And you should use imgburn to burn. You would drag and drop the bdmv folder onto imgburn and it will configure itself for the proper burning procedure.

For playing play with vlc or mpchc to test your folders on the computer.

And you could sacrifice a disc and burn the output you got onto a dl disc and see if it will work without doing more conversions. But be prepared for a dud just to be sure if it was an improper job.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    yea sorry i phrased that in a bad way. I do have the original and I was gonna reencode the original first. Then convert it to avchd. I phrased that wrong. lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was gonna reencode the original first. Then convert it to avchd. I phrased that wrong. lol
    Actually that would be the same step. Converting your original file to proper avchd would be a one stage process then you'd burn the finished bdmv folder with imgburn.

That is simplifying it of course since its more than one thing going on but going from your original file to avchd is the single event then you burn when your done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As Yoda mentioned, the resolution is not blu-ray, or AVCHD even, standard. As well, you'd need to re-encode the AAC audio to something compliant, like AC3.

Even so, the stream has no blu-ray delimiters, so you have to have a player that has features or is flexible outside of the standard. You can still try with multiAVCHD without re-encoding, and it may still play if your player has an AVCHD logo on it.

Yeah, you'll read some success stories from some folk who hacked something or whatnot, but it's still never a guarantee across all blu-ray players without an authentic disc, or a standard (re-)encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Ok I just finished re-encoding it and its now is AC-3 audio but when i run a media info on the new file it still says its not 1280x720? I put the settings so that it could re-encode it and make it x720 but it still says its x528?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Also I used Xvid4psp 5 to re-encode it and then I just tried to convert it with multiavchd, it did it, but while it was converting it said that the format is unreadable? Is there a way to just use multiavchd to re-encode it to 1280x720 and AC-3 audio while also converting it to AVCHD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully someone knows better, but IMO multiAVCHD is an excellent authoring but it's editing/encoding features can be flaky. I just believe you should resize/encode the streams beforehand with AviSynth and a standalone tool like MeGUI (blu-ray or AVCHD profile) then enter into multiAVCHD just for authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Ok great. I will try those now. Thanx Puzzler. Will update when its done
    Quote Quote