VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Philanthropist
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,
    This has been an issue I have been confused on for some time. When I export a project out of After effects CS5 into VT5 in SD (720x486i, 29.97fps in both programs) the alpha channel is fine and I can use the animated .avi. It is when I try to use an HD time line (1920x1080i, 29.97fps in both programs) that the alpha won't allow me to see through. As a matter of fact when I scrub the time line in VT5 (and the overlay option is activated on the rendered .avi) I can see through the alpha and the overlay project beneath it. It is when I play the time line or even render it the supposed to be alpha channel just shows up blank. I have played with the settings in After effects and cant seem to tweak them in the right way to make them produce a workable .avi. The Format out put I have been using is "video for windows" in AE CS5. Any Ideas would be appreciated.

sincerely,
    Confused
    Quote Quote  
  2. What program is "VT5" ?

Are you saying you've lost the alpha when re-importing the exported RGBA file back into AE , but only in HD project ? It works ok in an SD comp ?

It is when I play the time line or even render it the supposed to be alpha channel just shows up blank.
    Do you mean "black" ? It's supposed to be "blank"

Some programs prefer premultiplied (matted) , and some prefer straight (unmatted) . Try the other option for export
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 3rd Mar 2011 at 15:23.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Philanthropist
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the feedback. VT5 is an editing system that is created by NewTek "VT5" is what it is called. As for your other questions, I am only exporting out of AE and placing on timeline of VT5. There the alpha will show through on a SD time line just fine when played, SD time line is just fine. But an HD one the screen will not show through the alpha or the graphic, it goes to a blank black screen, but as soon as the cursor plays anywhere else that does not have the AVI with alpha it is fine and the image shows on the monitor. When I export it out of AE as a quicktime with alpha the graphic is fine on an SD or and HD timeline, the problem when I try to render the timeline in the HD it crashes, VT5 is an AVI native format timeline. Also VT5, from what I have read that VT5 likes Premultiplied best, That has not stopped me from doing both. Still does not work with either straight or premultiplied. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Confused
    Quote Quote  
  4. It sounds like VT5 issue, maybe you could contact them for support

Other workarounds you could try: PNG or TIFF sequence with alpha , instead of uncompressed maybe try lossless compression format like UT video codec with alpha (AVI)
    Quote Quote