VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.

I want to render my videos as MainConcept/AVC/AAC (*mp4) using the Customs settings.

Here is the screen capture of the custom settings. I have questions about the items highlighted in red.

What does "Allow source to adjust frame size" and "Allow source to adjust frame rate" mean? What does it do?

For profile, there are two options: Baseline and Main. What do these mean and which do I choose?

What are number of reference frames?

What does "use deblocking filter" mean?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SVScapture.JPG
Views:	11397
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	5851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    new to video? first 15fps isn't really acceptable by anything. try 30. allow source to adjust framesize is just what it says. profiles are many and varied, depends on what is going to play the video. try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC as a guide. allow source to adjust framerate is also just what it says. reference frames - up to 16 allowed, but 2 is more reasonable, 1 is probably best. variable bit rate with both maximum and average set to the same 768kbps is stupid. first of all any 1080p video with 768kbps is going to look terrible, and it also defeats the purpose of vbr.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    new to video?
    No. Ignore all the settings you see in the screen capture. It has nothing to do with my current project.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you would like more specific answers then start with more specific questions that deal with what you want as output.

does vegas studio have the sony avc encoder as an option like vegas pro does rather than the m.c. one? it's a better choice for mp4 video.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    if you would like more specific answers then start with more specific questions that deal with what you want as output.
    Most of the time, it will be videos for YouTube.

But I also have random home videos from my point-and-shoot camera that I am going to edit together and put the file on a USB drive to show on an HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    standard avchd should do. if studio has the sony avc encoder use the internet 30p template. make the size 1280x720 and use constant bitrate over 5000 kbps if you want youtube HD video. don't change any of the other standard settings. it may also play on the tv that way.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    does vegas studio have the sony avc encoder as an option like vegas pro does rather than the m.c. one? it's a better choice for mp4 video.
    Yes, Vegas Movie Studio does have Sony AVC. Why is it a better choice?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Tried to save as Sony AVC but I get an error every time I try to render.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably from dicking with all the settings.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vid83 View Post
    Tried to save as Sony AVC but I get an error every time I try to render.
    May have found the issue. In the custom settings for Sony AVC, if the frame rate is set to "15.000 (Multimedia)", I get an error message. If I change the frame rate to "29.970 (NTSC)", it renders. However, the videos in my timeline are 15 fps and I need to render 15 fps.
    Is there anything I can do to get it to render?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, there is. encode to a different format that is compatible with such an unusual framerate. You might have better luck with .mov or some kind of avi codec. Or you will have to play around with frame interpolation and converting to 24p for AVC.
    Quote Quote