VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. First off, forgive me if I missed this answer in my searches. I've plowed through for two days and couldn't find anything. I usually don't have to post for help, because I can always find the answers, you guys rock.

What I need is really simple. I have DVD files already on my computer, and want to transfer into mpeg (or whatever is best for online), merging the subtitles, so I can cut & share a clip online with a long distance friend (best quality possible) (I hope that's not a taboo subject).

I have Tempgenc mpg editor 2.0, but it doesn't pick up the subtitles [, which are half the fun. I have no problem wasting a day re-encoding the whole movie so I can cut the pieces w/tempg if that's what it takes.

I really need a free program, because I'm destitue, and I'm not very technical savy. I'm much more like a cavewoman with a club, I can bash about and get results, but if there are too many settings I get scared and confused (FIRE!).

I have Super on my computer, but can't figure it out at all. Any awesome suggestions? And thanks!
    Last edited by geekfemme; 1st Mar 2011 at 20:42. Reason: more clarification
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can make your own subtitles from the original dvd.

Subrip is the program to use.

Go into the https://www.videohelp.com/guides link and search for subrip. It will give you instructions on how to use it.

It will go through the subtitles on the video and you have to manually correct the ocr. It will prompt you to clarify the letters. On a two hour movie it took me about ten minutes to go through the disc with only correcting a few lines every now and then. You don't do anything other than type in a letter or two so the computer knows what it is.

It's not perfect. You will get spelling errors on it. You can open the srt file (really just a renamed txt file) and run it through a spell checker and then manually correct them if you want. My two I did weren't off significantly enough to make it unreadable just some silly stuff like I's replacing L's for some reason.

I just learned how to do this manually on Monday myself for some dvds I was converting to watch on my psp.

This will give you usable srt subtitle files. However you have to verify if tmpengc mpg editor will LOAD subtitle files. I've used a few tmpgenc programs but not that one in particular.

There are many many converter programs out there that can import subtitle files. Once you get your subtitle files than you can choose the program you want.

Just remember if you want to cut out from the whole to make sure you have the correct matching subtitle. If you want to cut say 5 minutes out of the dvd cut the dvd first. Then use subrip to get the subtitles out of the cut file. That way you can convert the cut file and import the right length subtitle file so they will match. And be sure to name the cut files properly so you won't have a bunch of files like video_1 or whatever. Name it the name of the scene and you could include the word video or subtitle in the file name if you want another visual reminder.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Awesome!! That was painless and didn't take long, thank you so much!

I've used subrip to get the srt file, so easy.

Sadly, my TMPGenc doesn't support subtitles, so I'll start searching for a free program that does now. If anybody knows about the better quality ones, that'd be awesome, if not I'll take my club to them.

Again, thankyou so much, just what was needed!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by geekfemme
    Awesome!! That was painless and didn't take long, thank you so much!
    You're welcome. Like I said I just learned how to do that Monday. I've never used subtitles much before and when I have the programs always took the subtitles. I had some dvds that were different somehow and it wasn't working the way I wanted it to. I looked up subrip and learned it and got what I needed.

Originally Posted by geekfemme"
    Sadly, my TMPGenc doesn't support subtitles, so I'll start searching for a free program that does now.
    Most of the major freeware programs support subtitles. You should check out format factory for starters.

Originally Posted by geekfemme
    Again, thankyou so much, just what was needed!!
    It's a pleasure to serve!
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote