VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using avisynth to massage video clips and am having problems with Samsung HD MP4 files. (I get it to work with avi, mpg, MOD and MTS) in the simplest case I'm just trying to add a subtitle. My avsynth script is:

Code:
    DirectShowSource("C:\HDV_0719.MP4")
    Subtitle("www.mydomain.com", spc=20, align=2, size=48)
    When I play it with mplayerc I get the subtitle but there is no motion just the opening frame. Quicktime's movie inspector tells me its Format: H.264 1280 x 720. FPS: 59.94. I've also tried:
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("C:\HDV_0719.MP4", fps=30, convertfps=true )
    No joy.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Directshowsource can be unreliable; it is dependent on your system installed filters/splitters

You may need a better mp4 splitter (e.g. install haali media splitter, or gabest mp4 splitter)

or try ffms2

ffmpegsource2("C:\HDV_0719.MP4",atrack=-1)

http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WOW. Thanks for the very quick response. Your response helps particularily about the unreliability of DSS as it does seem to work once in a while. I'll be honest and admit I don't truly understand much of this so am grateful for your help. I have installed a lot of stuff. I think the haali splitter got installed with the k-lite Coder Pack. But I don't know how to activate it. (I've also got the ffdshow stuff which is how I got mpg stuff to work by fiddling with the decoder settings) In my excitement just now I just tried running avisynth with ffmpegsource2 and got the script error "there is not function named ffmpegsource2. I visited the link you provided (thanks for that.) but was wondering if I could get some guidance before just haphazardly downloading stuff. Do I just pick the vanilla package? (I would like something that generically runs on 32 and 64 bit if possible and not to complicated as I hope to share with others for their machines.) Thanks again for the ultra quick response.
    Quote Quote  
  4. vanilla package is the most stable and will run on everything

unzip the contents into the avisynth/plugins folder . Specifically , the .dll and .avsi , have to be in the plugins root directory to autoload .

You can read the included documentation at your own leisure for full instructions, but this should get you by for now
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. In my initial tests that seems to work. Can ffmpegsource2 be used as a general replacement for Directshowsource?
    Quote Quote  
  6. not necessarily , beware there are "quircks" for everything;

there is a list of "known issues" in the documentation for ffms2

for example ffms2 doesn't work well with transport streams, or sometimes the fps is a bit off. You can use assumefps to "fix it" . For example in your 59.94 progressive, it would be AssumeFPS(60000,1001) . Check with info() to see if it returned the correct frame rate. It usually gets the correct frame count, so it's easy to fix the frame rate.

directshowsource can sometimes work fine, but only if you do a straight linear encode (no temporal filtering) , but you need to get your directshow subsystem cleaned up and working to use it .If you do any non linear seeks or use temporal filtering, you can "lose your place" and mix up frames. It's usually the "last resort" source filter to use, if nothing else works
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 1st Mar 2011 at 18:11.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I think I'm going to take this all pretty slow. Thanks for your help it did get me going. I never remember adding Directshowsource to the plugin directory off avisynth. Is that something that just comes included and if so is it possible to get a version with ffmpegsource2 included?
    Quote Quote  
  8. directshowsource() comes with the standard avisynth install

ffms2 is a separate plugin, and there is no talk of merging it into the avisynth main build - it will probably remain separate
    Quote Quote