VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok. I just bought a PS3, and also a Sony STR-KS370 receiver with 5.1 speakers. Everything is hooked up via HDMI cables. Speakers...speaker cables obviously lol.

Anyway, I read somewhere on here that the best video format to place on your PS3 for viewing is *.vob format. Well I've ripped almost all of my DVDs and BDs to *.mkv format. They still retain the subtitles, DTS encoding and everything too.

Someone then told me to use MKV2VOB to convert them, but after I did a test conversion...my subtitles aren't there anymore. Since there's no "documentation", are there settings I should be ticking or including on this or should I be using some other BETTER software?
    Last edited by psionicsin; 3rd Mar 2011 at 06:12. Reason: Apparent imbecilic forum rules
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Convert to AVCHD with mkv2vob (or https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-mkv-to-mp4-avchd-ts) instead. The subs should work then.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Convert to AVCHD with mkv2vob (or https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-mkv-to-mp4-avchd-ts) instead. The subs should work then.
    I need just a bit more than that, so here are what my options are:

Output type: File, AVCHD - Disk, AVCHD - USB
    File Extensions: *.mpg, *.m2ts, *.vob, *.mp4, *.avi
    Transcoding: MPEG-2, XviD, x264, x264 High Bitrate

Am I setting it to AVCHD - Disk, with an extention of *.vob, and any transcoding I want?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    avchd usb and m2ts.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    avchd usb and m2ts.
    Does the Transcoding Codec matter at all?
    Quote Quote  
  6. After waiting a little over an hour, it didn't work. It was glitchy and didn't play on my PC, much less the PS3.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Guys I need serious help with this issue. I've literally been trying since 8am (It's now 8pm just about).

I recently bought a PS3 Slim, a new receiver, and HDMI cables galore. Everything is hooked up via HDMI, and full resolutions and audio formats are allowed without restrictions. I'm using the PS3 for everything BUT gaming.

Now with that being said, I have About 20 or so 720p *.mkv files that are ripped from my blu-rays. Each one has soft-coded (not hard-coded) subtitles. I'm trying to get these converted into a file format that will:
    1. Play on the PS3 in their native 720p resolution
    2. Allow soft-coded subtitles (so I can turn them on/off at will)
    3. Is digital, and NOT a disc

I've been trying mkv2vob with ABSOLUTELY no luck. I've followed every set of directions people threw at me, yet subtitles STILL aren't soft-coded into the files. I know this because before I tried to transfer them over I played on my PC first, and the subtitle option wasn't there.

I've tried *.m2ts format, *.vob format...and got no where.

So does anyone out there know what I should ACTUALLY be doing and using to accomplish what I want?

NOTE: Please thoroughly read my question as not to post a solution I've already tried.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only way I have found to do this was to author the files into AVCHD format and burn them to DVDs. In the end it was simpler to just buy a WDTV and play the MKV files instead (or anything with external subs, and anything not encoded to the PS3's rather narrow requirements).
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    The only way I have found to do this was to author the files into AVCHD format and burn them to DVDs. In the end it was simpler to just buy a WDTV and play the MKV files instead (or anything with external subs, and anything not encoded to the PS3's rather narrow requirements).
    That's sad. I've seen forums everywhere saying "I've done it using this method..", yet when I tried it nothing worked.

So with the PS3 I'm stuck with good video, but no soft-coded subtitles and that's the end of it?

ALSO: I can't remember, but wasn't there some kind of hacked/freeware firmware out of the PS3 that allows it to play almost every file format known to the advanced civilization of man?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Remux the mkv file with Tsmuxer and save it as AVCHD. Use AVCHDMe to make it PS3 compatible.

Copy the BDMV file in a root directory of a USB stick called AVCHD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Megahurts View Post
    Remux the mkv file with Tsmuxer and save it as AVCHD. Use AVCHDMe to make it PS3 compatible.

Copy the BDMV file in a root directory of a USB stick called AVCHD.
    Setup like this?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	likethis.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	5852  

Quote Quote  
  12. jandor2009
    Search Comp PM
    Use rebox.NET ... 5 to 10 minutes and everything is resolved.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jandor2009 View Post
    This thing seems good so far, just one question. Does rebox.NET not encode the *.srt subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
  14. jandor2009
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by psionicsin View Post
    Originally Posted by jandor2009 View Post
    This thing seems good so far, just one question. Does rebox.NET not encode the *.srt subtitles?
    Use before... MKVmerge GUI (mmg.exe) --> Add MKV File and SRT > Select movie/audio/SRT > Start muxing >>>
    Next go for the rebox.NET
    Last edited by jandor2009; 2nd Mar 2011 at 00:59.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jandor2009 View Post
    Originally Posted by psionicsin View Post
    Originally Posted by jandor2009 View Post
    Use before... MKVmerge

Add MKV File/SRT > Select movie/audio/SRT > Start muxing > Next go for the rebox.NET
    Didn't work. At least with the subtitles that were already soft-coded into the *.mkv file from rip.
    HOWEVER...rebox.NET is a GREAT program, and I thank you for telling me about it. I'll experiment some other time, but right now I guess I'm fine without subs.
    Quote Quote  
  16. jandor2009
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't work. At least with the subtitles that were already soft-coded into the *.mkv file from rip.
    HOWEVER...rebox.NET is a GREAT program, and I thank you for telling me about it. I'll experiment some other time, but right now I guess I'm fine without subs.
    Create a IDX/SUB --> AVIAddXSubs
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ONE thread is enough. I merged your threads.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Can you please STOP make new similar threads.
    Baldrick...just because they both have PS3 in the title does NOT make them similar.

One dealt specifically with finding the right software for conversion to a filetype that the PS3 could read (as software recommended wasn't working).
    The second is dealing with a way to separate, and HARDCODE subs into a video stream.

Placing all of this under a a general topic just because it's from the same author and has PS3 in the title is highly irresponsible of you as other people who have my same problem won't know where to look for their solution.

When I visit a forum, I use search and pay attention to thread TITLES. Nothing in THIS title says anything about hardcoding subs, meaning a newbie will ask the question yet again, and then someone will tell them to use the search (which they probably already did).
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can change the title. Just click on edit and advanced on your first thread.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Finished separating everything LAST NIGHT, and I'm left with the following...

*) Avatar.mkv (Original Rip)
    1) Avatar_Track1.h264 (Video)
    2) Avatar_Track2.dts (5.1 Audio)
    3) Avatar_Track3.srt (The Na'vi Language Subtitles)
    4) Avatar_Track4.srt (English Subs I don't need)

Does anyone know what software I should use to "BURN" in the Na'vi subtitles to either video stream (*.mkv or *.h264)?
    Quote Quote