VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have random home videos on my hard drive that I am going to edit to show families. It was taken on a digital point and shoot camera with two cameras. Some of the videos are 10fps, 15fps, and 30fps. I will be inserting these videos into the timeline in Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 to edit (add text, crossfade, cut out unnecessary parts).

Can you have videos with multiple frame rates in the timeline? How will it effect the final video after it is rendered?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I have the exact same question as you do and I even have the same editing program! I have videos taken from my Sony Cyber shot point and shoot digital camera that I want to edit in a few weeks I believe the frame rate is 30 fps. Can I put that footage with my MiniDV 29.97i? Do I need to convert one to the other? Sony Vegas Suite is cool so far in my first week with it!
    Quote Quote  
  3. yes you can mix, but the problems you will encounter are either duplicate frames or blended (ghosting) frames

for example if you have 15fps footage and the project is 30fps , you have to make up those extra frames per second from somewhere. So vegas inserts either duplicates or blends to make up the difference - the result is either jerky or jerky and more blurry playback

if you right click and "disable resample" for the clips it will dupe. If you leave "smart resample" on it will blend

it also depends on what your project and export settings are

HoosierGuy - your situation is problematic to, because you're mixing progressive and interlaced. 29.97i is really 59.94 fields per second (that is, every second is represented by 59.94 moments in time) , but the other camera is 30.0 moments in time. How you set it up will depend what your export format goal is (e.g. DVD vs. web video etc...)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    So if I want to use video that is in the public domain and add to my MiniDV footage that is 29.97i, then I'm looking at problems with quality? What's the best way to handle
    this then? I want to start downloading some things off YouTube and also find some public domain video (if it exists) and use it with my video (29.97i).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes you're looking at potential problems with cadence and quality

There is no "best way to handle it". There is going to be a bunch of tradeoffs

Everything you download on YT will be progressive. Your MiniDV is interlaced.

If your export format goal is progressive e.g. for web , you will have to deinterlace the DV footage. That's another huge discussion in itself. There are high quality methods (very slow to process) and low quality methods

If your export goal was a 29.97i DVD, then you have to make up the temporal resolution of the YT footage (the highest frame rate is 30 on YT, so you will need to generate more frames somehow so you can make it interlaced for true 29.97i or 59.94 fields - if you use vegas, this means you dupe or blend extra frames)

If the clips you use on YT are different frame rates (e.g. 23.976 or 25) then you have even more headaches, because that's not evenly divisible (29.97 is evenly divisible into 59.94 exactly by 2). So the duped or blended frames are not evenly distributed
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    When I render my project as MainConcept/AVC/AAC (*mp4), I see "Allow source to adjust frame rate" option in the custom settings. What does this mean? Does this mean that the video will play at 15 fps when it is playing the 15fps video and play 30fps when it is playing the 30fps video?
    Quote Quote  
  7. no it doesn't

you will still get dupes or blends in that 15fps in 30fps project example
    Quote Quote  
  8. Watching 15 fps video at its native 15 fps, vs watching at with duplicates at 30 fps will look exactly the same. So your video isn't going to get any jerkier from the frame rate conversion. It's the same with 10 fps sources at 30 fps. So just use a 30 fps project.

You could try using AviSynth's frame interpolation using motion vectors to synthesize in-between frames.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=288017

There's also a more generalized version that can do any frame rate conversion, SmoothFPS.
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st Mar 2011 at 19:05.
    Quote Quote  
  9. But watching it mixed with 30p sections won't look so good

bmw m3 is nice car, but sitting beside ferrari enzo , makes it less appealing
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    But watching it mixed with 30p sections won't look so good
    Not using the clips at all will look even worse. And using Vegas' interpolation from 10 to 30 will look horrible.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    And using Vegas' interpolation from 10 to 30 will look horrible.
    Exactly - Vegas doesn't have true frame interploation from vector generation. The "in between" frames consist of only blends or dupes

This is a split screen, slo-mo example, but the concept is the same, 2x the number of frames, but played at 1/2 speed (so every 2nd frame is an interpolated "in-between" frame)

I used mflowfps in avisynth, vegas used blends (interpolate using dupes is way to choppy, I should upload it just for laughs)

But interpolation can have lots of side effects, like edge dragging and weird edge artifacts. "Pro" software like Twixtor Pro or Nuke can minimize that with mattes to help generate better vectors
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hardware method = pc 1 > video converter > pc 2 capture device = huffyuv , then onto vegas for editing.

Just throwing it out ... doing fps conversion via software is always a pita ... compromise
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hardware uses the same methods as software. Duplicate frames/fields, blended frames/fields. If you want to convert to HuffYUV AVI do it in software and avoid the degradation of the digital to analog to digital conversion from taking the hardware route. And software will be much faster.
    Quote Quote