VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello
    Excuse my poor English.

I'm very new at this having to rip DVD and would like some help.

I have about 200 DVDs that I should put on the media server at home.
    I've ripped them with DVDFab to the computer but now the question is what settings should I do in HandBrake to get mkv files with good quality.
    resolution is 720x576 and what I understand it is original in the DVD?

The films will Strem to 2 55-inch LCD TV and a few computers (computers play no role when they read everything.)

TV: 1 = Samsung ue55c8705
    TV: 2 = LG 55LE550

I will use H264/x264 in mkv but the bittrate should I have for it look good? I have tried to use RF in HandBrake, but I can not find a level that is good;
    I use RF: 20, movies giant pixels when it gets fast moving scenes.
    Is there anyone who can help me with this problem?

it is TV that will play movies with its built-in video player

And what I understand they only support this format in common?

I should add that the stream of films will take place over Gigabit Ethernet (CAT6) so it does not matter if the films are large. (they should not be unnecessarily large I need to think about storage space as well) Server uses Twonky Media Server 6.3 dlna.

Sincerely / Chali
    Last edited by chali; 28th Feb 2011 at 18:41. Reason: More info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As a starting point, commercial Blu-Ray discs use 8-16 Mb/s or more for h.264 when compressed from master source. Broadcast may use somewhat less on the high bit rate peaks. When re-encoding from a compressed source, quality will drop even at the same bit rate. Best to use the original file.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi and thanks for the reply

I understand that it is a deterioration of changing formats, but what is a good bitrate to H264.mkv to be played on one 55 inch screen? As I wrote before, the result is strange with HandBrake, an RF: on 20 gives a file of about 1 gig and a bitrate on about 1200b / s and it is not god on such a large screen.

/ Chali
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chali View Post
    Hi and thanks for the reply

I understand that it is a deterioration of changing formats, but what is a good bitrate to H264.mkv to be played on one 55 inch screen? As I wrote before, the result is strange with HandBrake, an RF: on 20 gives a file of about 1 gig and a bitrate on about 1200b / s and it is not god on such a large screen.

/ Chali
    I'm not a good one to ask because I see compression flaws on commercial Blu-Ray discs. Remember that the master they use is 1,500,000-3,000,000 Kb/s uncompressed. Blu-Ray is already >100x compressed.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote