VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been shopping for a VCR to supplement my JVC HR-S7800U, particularly for playback of EP speed tapes and VHS-C tapes in the adapter. My JVC doesn't track EP tapes all that well, and I don't trust it with VHS-C tapes after hearing the horror stories of how the JVC SVHS units eat the tapes. I have been considering the Panasonic AG-1980 for this task, but I am also willing to look at DVHS units.

I haven't seen any reports of the performance of the Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U performs at the above tasks. One selling point is that its NOT a JVC transport and likely handles EP and VHS-C tapes better. Another unit I'm looking at is the JVC HM-DH30000U and 40000U.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well I won a HS-HD2000U on ebay today. Might as well do some testing myself with it. Hopefully it plays EP tapes better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My guess on this your tapes are going to have the same errors with the HS-HD2000U as with the JVC HR-S7800U.

Once an error is grained in to a tape it is almost impossible to rid yourself of them.

Now if it is just tracking lines in the video that need to be removed via the tracking button, you can re-calibrate the alignment of the VCR.

Sometimes trying other machines may help cause of different alignment....
    Last edited by Deter; 1st Mar 2011 at 03:03.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just about every EP tape I have put in the JVC has some tracking issues. They play fine in the cheapo GE VG-4240 I have here. Of course that VCR lacks the DNR and TBC circuits the JVC has. Either way, the price was right on the Mitsu and its worth having a backup unit around.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Be interested in the outcome...keep us informed
    Quote Quote  
  6. The VCR came today, seller made a mistake and its a HS-HD1100U, so its getting returned. Oh well, back on the hunt for a HS-HD2000U
    Quote Quote  
  7. My experience with ep tapes NTSC is that they do better on a 1980P Panasonic,
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NJRoadFan,

I'll do some testing with an EP tapes on my HM-DH30000U. I currently have it listed on eBay for sale but it's not packed up or anything.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a screenshot with one of my old family videos that has pretty bad time base errors. Both VCR's had TBC/DNR on, EDIT picture mode, and all other features (Stabilizer, R3, etc) turned OFF.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sidebyside dvhs.png
Views:	1065
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	5906

Also ran an EP tape that has had tracking issues with some VCR's through the 30000U. Played/tracked just fine.

Bottom line--advantage of getting a 30000U if you already have your 7800 is probably minimal.

The picture even looks a bit noisier from the 30000 in the above screenshot, although I have to say that's not always the case. I might not have gotten the exact same frame when I paused the video to get the screenshots?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jbd5010 View Post
    Bottom line--advantage of getting a 30000U if you already have your 7800 is probably minimal.
    Thats why I was aiming for a non-JVC transport VCR. Everyone raves about how the AG-1980 tracks EP tapes, but I'm afraid to pull the trigger on a unit that might have various playback problems. Meanwhile orsetto says the Mitsu is a solid machine.

Oh and I now have a box-full of D-VHS tapes with stuff on them. So eventually I'll get a DVHS machine... perhaps a JVC for the den TV (mostly for $1 VHS movies from the thrift store). The combo VHS/DVD player thats there now needs to get tossed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=NJRoadfan;2062440]
    Originally Posted by jbd5010 View Post
    Oh and I now have a box-full of D-VHS tapes with stuff on them. So eventually I'll get a DVHS machine... perhaps a JVC for the den TV (mostly for $1 VHS movies from the thrift store). The combo VHS/DVD player thats there now needs to get tossed.
    PM me if you have any interest in buying mine. You can look at it, I'm "tech-goods-for-less" on eBay.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Picked up a JVC SR-VD400US, it seems to track my problem tapes quite a bit better. Some of my initial observations can be found here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/3029-inital-obervations-jvc.html
    Quote Quote  
  13. Very interesting. May have to pick up one of these as a backup and for experiments.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    Well I won a HS-HD2000U on ebay today. Might as well do some testing myself with it. Hopefully it plays EP tapes better.
    It won't.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 16:28.
    Quote Quote