VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking for a BluRay player (in the US) that has Netflix, Hulu, and supports NTFS USB input (also HDMI out but that is standard now I hope). As for the USB I need it to play .avi, .mkv, .divx, and .mp4. Would also like the BluRay to recognize folders within the USB as my movies are all sorted. Does such a device exist or will have to buy a Roku/WDTV and BluRay. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe there is now a list of bluray players here on this website. I'd check under LISTS and look at dvd players - there should be a category of bluray players now.

Netflix won't be hard to find. Virtually any internet capable bluray player nowadays has netflix support - just read the box/manual to make sure it has the netflix logo on it. Hulu is a little more iffy. Plus it would have to be the hulu plus subscription service. I don't believe any networkable device can do hulu free on its own - that is relegated to pc only. You can however stream to it with hulu free via tversity or playon but that requires a paid subscription with tversity or playon to do the internet website streaming - but just the fees to the streamer service not the hulu plus. That however requires you to be connected a computer that is running tversity or playon in order to stream that.

You're two further needs are a little more complicated. NTFS support over usb will be a little more difficult on a standalone bluray player. The ps3 WILL NOT read mkv nor ntfs drives nor most of the formats you'd be looking for - it does do divx and h264 mp4 but will not read any mkv file. I believe there are a few beasts out there that will play the formats you want but as far as ntfs support that is an unknown. You might look at the oppo bluray players. I know they are more likely to have those advanced features versus a sony or panasonic player. But I think those are online only and would have a more substantial shipping costs for being heavy units.

I could be wrong and there could be readily available mainstream bluray players that do everything you want out of the box. I don't know for sure on all accounts you want.

You still might be better off going with a wdtv media player that for sure can play the formats you want on a ntfs drive with out issues. Make sure you get a live plus model for all the streaming service you want access to. I believe those units connect to netflix directly over its lan connection without the need of a computer to stream to it. HOWEVER I do not know if wdtv has hulu plus support yet. Hulu plus is needed to access hulu without a pc to stream it to the device.

You could then get a middle of the road or slightly cheaper bluray disc player in addition to the wdtv player to ensure you have full playback capability.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. The LG BD590 supports most of that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my lg bd570 does all that except hulu.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Seagate FreeAgent Theater + adds Internet Apps to any TV. Also connects to file servers like Tversity & Playon. Playon can do adult tv streaming & Tversity can do subs.
    Quote Quote