VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

conversion the hard way...that's DVD ripping first. After that I convert the DVD Mpeg-2 stream to mp4 (h264) using meGUI. This mp4 is video only, no sound (muxing comes later). When I open that file with MPC playback is somewhat laggy...it plays, it hangs, maybe it plays on. When I seek into the video the same thing happens again. Now here's the confusing part: after muxing the mp4 video with audio in mkvmerge the resulting mkv plays absolutely fine. No hanging, no stutter. Just playback as expected.

Maybe someone has an explanation? Or even a workaround?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just with MPC? Or same with VLC or other players?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well my first question is if your end result is ok why worry?

Also have you tried mpchc? that is the home cinema version of mpc designed for newer high def material. If you are using an older outdated mpc that could be part of your issue.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    computer chipset(s)
    windows os
    graphics drivers
    h264 encoder used
    encoding parameter setup - sometimes main cause of problems
    container compliance - sometimes main or 2nd or 3rd cause..
    decoders - sometimes main or 2nd cause..
    remuxer compliance
    and so on..

my hunch is going with a container instability problem. some decoders do a better job than others. some front-ends to decoders do a better, etc. when you demux/remux into same container, that muxer is probably doing a better job than the h264 encoder's muxer is doing for that video. i have similar problems. when i encode to h264 -via x264- the files will play properly in kmplayer but either wont play in vlc or will play but with hickups or crash, etc.

in addition, it could also be the os version and associate driver and decoders on board. thus, when i play my encoded h264 clips to my video workstation, xp home spc 2, it gives me these problems. however, when i play the same files on my netbook xp home sp 3, same vlc and kmplayer version, both players have no problems playing these home encodes. i don't fully get why this happens because there are just too many what-if scenarios.

but in the end in these situations, the best thing to do usually is to remux the clip(s) but then again, the remuxer tool compliance has a part, too, so it can be a gamble, and you have to re-encode again, but with refined parameters.

-vhelp 5485
    Last edited by vhelp; 27th Feb 2011 at 16:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FOA, thanks folks. The issue seems to occur in MPC only. VLC 1.1.7 as well as MPC-HC play fine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I just updated MPC-HC to version 1.7 and had this same stuttering/jittering/choppy video problem.

I searched the net and couldn't find the solution. I was just messing around with the settings and I think I have found the solution, which I would like to share here in case anyone else is looking for a solution.

Go to Options > Internal Filters > Video decoder > Hardware Decoder to use > Choose your graphics card decoder

For me, I have nVidia graphics card so I selected "NVIDIA CUVID" instead of the default DXVA2 (native) that was selected already.

That fixed the stutter for me.
    Quote Quote