VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I have lots of DVDs that I store and I just don't have the room to put everything in it's own standard sized DVD case.

I have these double sided DVD sleeves that I get 103 for a dollar. It is PP material and made by a brand called Daibao.

The sleeves are pretty thin and don't attract dust.

What I've been doing is keeping a dvd in both sides and putting them in shoeboxes on my bookshelf. They are kind of squeezed in but not forced in.

Is this method of storage bad for my DVDs or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have concluded that keeping them on the spindles they are supplied on is easiest and best, but you need an index system.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just plastic against a DVD is often a problem, especially if it ends up sticking to the DVD surface. A bit better is a Tyvek paper surface envelope. Or you can get some slimline DVD cases where the DVD surface doesn't contact the case surface and still has a fairly compact profile. 1/2 the size of a regular DVD case. I mostly use the original DVD cake boxes. The discs don't touch, but not so easy for finding a particular disc. Maybe better for archival storage.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Aluminum dvd case that uses the two sided plastic sleeves with some type of material/fabric in the middle and i have never had any issues with it.

And i have had it for quite a few years.
    It holds something like 600 disc's.

But they hang loosely and are not "squeezed" in or packed tightly.

Being squeezed tightly together might cause them to warp depending on the heat and humidity of where you live but i am not sure, i am just thinking of the way you are supposed to keep laserdisc's, but those are quite a bit larger and thicker than dvd's.

This is what i keep most of my dvd's in as i ran out of room to store full dvd cases a few 1000 disc's ago!

Name:  Case.jpg
Views: 3667
Size:  12.9 KB

And i also keep quite a few hundred on the original spindles blanks come on.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for all the responses

Red, Actually, my sleeves have a plastic outer coating but the inside of the sleeve that actually touches the bottom of the disk is a paper like coating. It's not a smooth paper coating though, it's got these very light ridges. Maybe I'll scan it in so you can see what I mean.

Noah, I've considered those cases so often but they still take up too much room for me. Yes, can you believe it lol I have a very small place. Also, I would need around 5 cases which would run me almost $200 and I can't really afford that right now

Victoria, Good to know that keeping them in spindles works because I also have all my back-ups in spindles.

Thanks again everyone! I'll try to find a picture of the sleeves I have to get a better idea on how good they are
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by cynikalhedonist View Post
    Thank you for all the responses

Red, Actually, my sleeves have a plastic outer coating but the inside of the sleeve that actually touches the bottom of the disk is a paper like coating. It's not a smooth paper coating though, it's got these very light ridges. Maybe I'll scan it in so you can see what I mean.

Noah, I've considered those cases so often but they still take up too much room for me. Yes, can you believe it lol I have a very small place. Also, I would need around 5 cases which would run me almost $200 and I can't really afford that right now

Victoria, Good to know that keeping them in spindles works because I also have all my back-ups in spindles.

Thanks again everyone! I'll try to find a picture of the sleeves I have to get a better idea on how good they are
    if it suits you better, they do make ones (like Noah has) that hold 1000. I have two of them now, but I could use another. Using spindles to store is a real pain in the ass, especially when you have to fish something out.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Which is true but the 1000 disk ones are even more expensive.... plus the shipping is crazy

The spindles are not that difficult for me. I already have everything numbered on a list and I use 25-disk spindles. I put the disks in there and mark it 1-25, 26-50, etc. Provided I keep everything in order when I look through the spindle, it's very fast.

It is difficult, however, if you don't have a number system in place. It takes a long time to type up every title to every number.... but in my opinion, it's definitely worth it
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by cynikalhedonist View Post
    Which is true but the 1000 disk ones are even more expensive.... plus the shipping is crazy

The spindles are not that difficult for me. I already have everything numbered on a list and I use 25-disk spindles. I put the disks in there and mark it 1-25, 26-50, etc. Provided I keep everything in order when I look through the spindle, it's very fast.

It is difficult, however, if you don't have a number system in place. It takes a long time to type up every title to every number.... but in my opinion, it's definitely worth it
    Not sure where you sure looking at them, but supermediastore.com usually sold them between 63-78$ and that price INCLUDES shipping. 25 cake boxes are fine unless you are dealing with a few thousand dvds. At that point even using the 100 piece spindles gets to be a hassle as well as the fact that they do not stack well
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 500 or so ones were $40 shipped back in the day.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    cynikalhedonist, your sleeve material does sound a bit like Tyvek. Shiny soft white paper with coarse surface? That's what my DVD envelopes are: http://www.caselogic.com/100_disc_capacity_double_sided_prosleeve_reg/product_detail/i...oductid=636322
    My only worry about them is the disc fits fairly snug in there and if there was a chunk of dirt stuck to the paper, it could scratch the disc. I'd be happier if they fit looser. I've also used plain paper envelopes, though they give little protection if the discs are tightly packed.

I think a lot depends on how you plan to use the discs. Most of mine are just archival, as I have the videos on my hard drives. If you need quick access, the sleeves may work well for you. I use CD baskets from Staples to hold them. They are in drawers to keep out dust. You can find them for less than $5US at several office supply stores and I have also seen them in Walmart. Adding folder index tabs to them helps to locate a particular disc.

Name:  meshcdbox.jpg
Views: 3540
Size:  53.8 KB

Some members use bedroom type dressers for storage and those work quite well if you have lots of discs. You can find them at yard sales for a decent price. They work better than filing cabinets.
    Quote Quote